Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If so, he should get together with Clinton Heylin. Heylin knows just what Dylan should do with his life.

2. dee

dee Senior Member

Like that performance of Masterpiece :) from Montreal, full of vigor with more precision than some of the others versions imo, and Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You is a much-welcome setlist add and positive twist.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  3. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

I have been playing through them slowly to avoid saturation. It all seems to my ears to be a bit frantic for lack of a better way of putting it, though maybe that was the whole point of the tour.

dee and The MEZ like this.
  4. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Neil Young had this to say to biographer Jimmy McDonough about the effect of cocaine on CSNY in the seventies, which probably has some wider relevance:

"(It) screwed up the pitch. Made everything sharp. Made 'em play too fast. Cocaine is a destructive drug. It takes you in, you need more of it all the time ... It was pretty prevalent in the seventies.

...You can hear it in the music. It was still really good music and good people and everything - it just got polluted a bit by the drug. But then the drug passed like a bad dream. It's gone. All it leaves is a little memory. A little shadow. This feeling you have of what could happen. What did you do to yourself? When will you pay for that?"

5. Sylvaincheuh

Sylvaincheuh Well-Known Member

I've finished this set recently...wonderfull document !
    Soundwise I tend to preffer the bootleg series mix because it has more bottom end (eq maybe) to my taste while the box set mix sounds like a flat transfer maybe a little dry.

I totally dig this tour, it takes me to listen to the Desire album on heavy rotation on Tidal .

I second the opinion on Boston afternoon beeing the best show of the set, very loose and emotionnal, except for 'One more cup of coffee' i think the Montreal/Netflix version of the song is the ultimate, what a fantastic haunted and smooth singing by Bob on the 1st verse...
    I strongly recomend the box even for a casual like me.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  6. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

For those who are holding out - I’ve seen this set on eBay lately for ridiculously low prices ($40)

PhantomStranger, dee and asdf35 like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Been having a little trouble getting through the sets. I've decided to try to put the Dylan-Baez tracks and the 'encores' separate from the 'main sets' to better clarify what performances I enjoy most. Will take up some time and cdr's but for me well worth both. That should make my listening more organized amd easier to evaluate and then I can compile favorite versions back into their concert sequences.

8. Don't pass this set up if you can snag it for that cheaply.

9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Be very wary of those eBay listings. A quick survey reveals they're all shipping from China, which is a pretty fair giveaway that they're counterfeit.

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Good advice.

11. NYMets41

NYMets41 Forum Resident

I wish I said this. :)

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Email from Badlands today stating :

WE HAVE MANAGED TO SECURE JUST A FEW MORE COPIES OF THIS FANTASTIC CD BOX SET

THESE ARE LIKELY TO BE THE LAST STOCK WE CAN GET OUR HANDS ON.

Looks like they think there's not going to be anymore…….

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  13. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Still available on Amazon UK for standard price, despite third party sellers doubling (and in some cases tripling) their prices in recent weeks.

14. Richard--W

I can't figure out if it's going out of print or not.

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That seems too fast. They should have it available through Christmas at least.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  16. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

17. Richard--W

I'm still trying to find Live In San Diego 1979 here there and elsewhere.
    I need another copy.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  18. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

No "Tears of Rage"? I know it's a rehearsal, but sound is pretty fine on that disc, there is an audible audience (even if it's just the entourage themselves), and that Bob 'n Joan rendition is exquisite.

NumberEight likes this.
  19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

This may have been already asked, but why were the soundboard recordings from Plymouth, Waterbury, and Toronto not included in this set?

NYMets41 likes this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Not multitracks?

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

That didn’t stop them from releasing non multitracks from the 66 tour (mono soundboards) and even audience recordings!

22. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

They weren't going to release that big a set for '75. They stuck to the best recordings and the extras.

RayS likes this.
  23. Richard--W

I'm hoping those soundboard tapes will be the basis for a volume 2.
    Don't forget Madison Square Garden NYC.

Let's everybody buy two copies so that the Dylan org will recognize
    the demand for a volume 2.

Then they can move on to volume 3 for the 1976 RTR.

24. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

How about they just charge twice as much so we can save on the delivery fee.

Tribute likes this.
  25. Richard--W

delivery fee for ...? Okay, suit yourself.