Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I bought two copies of The Original Mono Recordings so I could listen to it in stereo.

2. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

This has been a summer filled with top notch releases, I got a lot of mileage out of the Rolling Thunder box, in fact the entire month of June and now I think I’ll revisit it this Labor Day Weekend. In addition to that Western Skies got a lot of play and now today Gregg Altman’s Laid Back deluxe version with many extra tracks.......what a Summer.

3. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Randomly put on Worcester tonight. I love this performance and the warmth of the recording. Less strained, more melodic. Undoubtedly, one of the best.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It's cheaper to buy one copy and some drugs. With the right mood, you can get quad.

5. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

My family always accuses me of putting too much on my cheese on toast. :)

Richard--W likes this.
  6. Swirly Wilbury

Swirly Wilbury Forum Resident

Thread's been quiet for a couple weeks, but thought I'd post this here, in case anybody is in the market for a $65 t-shirt:

bob-dylan-rolling-thunder

Sadly no luggage tags, but I myself am very tempted by the hat. Stupidly expensive, but I've always told myself if I ever saw a hat anywhere even approximating Dylan's classic Rolling Thunder one, I would have no recourse but to pick it up.

Sigh, and then I wonder why I can never save any money...

Richard--W, JoeF. and Glenn coates like this.
  7. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

After the wooliness and hesitancy of Dylan on much of discs 2 and 3 of Traveling Thru, it's great to return to the poignant edge of Rolling Thunder, full-throated and full-throttled.

8. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Voted best archive release of 2019 in Uncut.

9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

And there have been some good ones this year— especially Gene Clark’s No Other and. Gregg Allman’s Laid Back.

One would think that 2020–50 years on from 1970, when a lot of great classic albums were released — will bring an abundance of reissues.

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I was hopeful there might be another RTR vinyl this RSD black Friday, but alas.

Glenn coates and CBackley like this.
  11. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I finally had a chance to open my new BS5 set on vinyl. Sounded awesome, and no issues whatsoever with the pressings. They really dropped the ball on BS15 from a QC perspective

12. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Wow! Well deserved. I know it was best for me. In fact, leading up to seeing him a couple of Fridays ago in South Bend (and certainly since that show), I’ve been digging deep into it again (along with Complete Live 1966 and Collectors Cutting Edge). Given we weren’t getting the whole tour, it’s such a fantastically well curated set with the five complete shows, rehearsals and rarities. It’s all just so outstanding. (But I love this tour and I remember how excited I was when Live 1975 came out, so to get this kinda re-boot... what a treat.). Plus with Montreal: One of the best shows he’s ever played in this quality. RTR Box Pretty tough to beat, if you’re any kind of a fan, as archive releases go. And perhaps even if you’re not already a fan. (As an aside: the only other archive set that was even remotely close for me was The Replacements Dead Man’s Pop set, and honorable mentions to Neil’s Tuscaloosa and Ramones with the FOUR It’s Alive tour shows set. But I’ll have to check out that list.).

13. But Uncut is little more than a Dylan fanzine these days with an obvious appreciation and space for other contemporary 'legacy' artists of that ilk. There's nothing wrong with that per se but it somewhat colours their perspective.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

That’s true. I had a letter published by the mag suggesting that very idea after their dismissal of Neil Young and high praise of Dylan at the recent Hyde Park show. It’s still a great package though and I think, on this occasion, the praise is a deserved one - self evident by the quality of the music.

SteveFff and Glenn coates like this.
  15. Fair play to you if you like it but 1975 Dylan isn't for me anymore. I find the cocaine induced bluster wears very thin after a couple of songs.

NYMets41 likes this.
  16. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Just got this as an early Xmas present!

Just plowing through it now... WOW "This Wheel's On Fire"? Performed a la Desire-era???

:love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love:

17. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

So, I was listening to this over the last couple of albums, and thought about compiling an alternative to Hard Rain, which I honestly don't like that much, made from the 1975 tour instead. I decided to make a double LP that represented how the concerts actually were, and decided to only add songs that were performed 10+ times during the tour (sorry, Tangled Up in Blue), and all in the order of performance (with only one exception due to time constraints). Some sides border on 25 minutes, but considering it's Dylan we're talking about, and Hard Rain being 51 minutes long, we shouldn't worry about that :D

Most songs are sourced from BS5, as they got most of the songs right when it comes to the versions used, but the ones not on BS5 are based on @FrixFrixFrix's list :D

Bob Dylan & the Rolling Thunder Revue - Rolling Thunder Revue (1975)

When I Paint My Masterpiece - Montreal Forum, Dec. 4, 1975 [4:22]
    It Ain't Me, Babe - Harvard Square Theater, Nov. 20, 1975 [5:25]
    The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [5:16]
    A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall - Montreal Forum, Dec. 4, 1975 [5:25]
    Romance in Durango - Montreal Forum, Dec. 4, 1975 [5:22]
    -
    Isis - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [5:11]
    Blowin' in the Wind - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [2:43]
    Never Let Me Go - Boston Music Hall, Afternoon, Dec. 21, 1975 [2:37]
    Mama, You Been on My Mind - Harvard Square Theater, Nov. 20, 1975 [3:11]
    Dark as a Dungeon - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [3:48]
    I Shall Be Released - Boston Music Hall, Afternoon, Dec. 21, 1975 [4:33]
    -
    Mr. Tambourine Man - Boston Music Hall, Afternoon, Dec. 21, 1975 [5:39]
    Simple Twist of Fate - Harvard Square Theater, Nov. 20, 1975 [4:17]
    The Times They Are a-Changin' - Boston Music Hall, Afternoon, Dec. 21, 1975 [2:45]
    Oh, Sister - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [4:04]
    Hurricane - Memorial Auditorium, Nov. 19, 1975 [8:15]
    -
    One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below) - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [4:14]
    Sara - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [4:29]
    Just Like a Woman - Boston Music Hall, Evening, Dec. 21, 1975 [4:31]
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Harvard Square Theater, Nov. 20, 1975 [4:22]
    This Land is Your Land - Boston Music Hall, Afternoon, Dec. 21, 1975 [3:42]

Instead of its natural spot in side 2, I sequenced The Times They Are a-Changin' in the middle of side three, both due to time constraints and the fact that otherwise side 2 would be seven songs long :D

A pretty good live album, I reckon, and could make for some great promotion and support for the '76 leg if released right before it.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  18. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

FYI: the podcast is now every four weeks, not two; and can be found here (as well as at the usual other places):

Megaphone: A Modern Podcasting Platform

JumpinJimF, subtr, Richard--W and 2 others like this.
  19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

It needs "TUIB." There's a glaring hole without it.

20. Dr. Robert

TUIB?

21. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

I’ll play: “Tangled Up in Blue”.

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Perhaps we'll get an RTR 1975 volume 2 this year.
    The rest of the line recordings including the Hurricane benefit.

23. Dr. Robert

You can put it inbetween One More Cup of Coffee and Sara, if you like :D

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Guys, help me, vinyl set or 14cd...or both? I don’t know that I’m a massive fan on this Dylan period but I love live albums and own most of the Dylan bootleg series on vinyl. I’m leaning towards just getting the vinyl!