Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Since you are already collection most of the bootleg series on vinyl, I say get the vinyl first. It sounds absolutely fantastic and gives a good composite of what the tour was about. Since you're not a massive fan this will be a good litmus test, if you get this and find you can't stop spinning this and think you might want to hear more than grab the 14 cd box which gives an immersive look into the tour and not just gives you some rehersals, rarities and main stay songs not on the vinyl set, but also shows just how different the feel of each show could be from say Cambridge to Montreal, just a real different approach. I have both and treasure them immensely, but since you're not sure if you are a huge fan yet, I'd say go the vinyl first and that should give you an indication if you need to venture deeper.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Both.

You definitely want the upgraded vinyl but there are additional
    live shows in the CD box. If you love live shows you'll love the
    CD box.

hodgo and Jam757 like this.
  3. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Hey @Jam757, I got both. You'll have the best of both worlds. Highly recommended and the CD box set is superb. Did I say the LP set was also? Oh well, I have now.

hodgo, Richard--W and Jam757 like this.
  4. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

You'll end up getting both. The vinyl box is wonderful, and the vinyl mix is different than the digital mix (most notable, the crowd noise after the first line of "Tonight I'll be Staying Here with you" that has always struck me as odd on the digital releases, is non-existant on the vinyl. Pretty cool omission!)

The cd box is fantastic. Each show has a different feel!

D

hodgo, Richard--W and Jam757 like this.
  5. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Other thing is, the CD box is a superb value for the money, and I’m willing to bet it goes out of print before long. If this is your thing, I wouldn’t sleep on it.

hodgo, footlooseman and Richard--W like this.
  6. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

You know you’re almost definitely correct, lol! Funny thing was I realized I already have the two cd set which I always thought was incredible. Bob Dylan Bootleg Series has now become so massive I sometimes forget everything in my library. I’ve ordered the vinyl. Might get the CD set too, I’m sure I could sell it in a heartbeat if I needed to.

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Good approach. I’m definitely a huge Dylan fan but maybe not over the top Blood On The Tracks era as much as some (although I do own the incredible One Step vinyl)! I will listen to the 2 disc set on the way to work tomorrow in anticipation for the vinyl. One thing I like about Dylan is he mixes up the live stuff and doesn’t just do a duplication of the studio albums.

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Lean farther.

[​IMG]

LeeGriffin and Jam757 like this.
  9. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Personally, I'd go for both but if you can only afford one of them I'd go for the 14 disc set.

Why? well because although though live discs are outstanding, what actually makes this set for me are the three rehearsal and the one bonus discs and it is these that hold the real gems. I'll also add that whichever set you go for the mastering is outstanding.

anth67, oldjollymon, Jam757 and 2 others like this.
  10. The vinyl has around 15% of the music on the box.Hard to justify missing out on 85% of the music because of format preference.

RiRiIII, supermd, mpayan and 3 others like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This is something I've never understood. About a year ago the Aretha Franklin mono singles collection was released. The CD was available for £10 at the most and was commonly available for £5. The vinyl was around £25 - £30 and only had half of the music. I don't understand why people who could play both formats would chose the vinyl if they were only buying it once.

C6H12O6 likes this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Without wanting to derail things - there are people who actively dislike CD on principle. Or so it seems. For many of us, it's on a case by case basis, but for others Vinyl is automagically always "better".

C6H12O6, Man at C&A and hodgo like this.
  13. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Often I would go for the vinyl over CD because of different and better mastering, but in the case of the Dylan and Aretha sets the mastering is outstanding on both CD & Vinyl options.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

So would I, but when the mastering is great on both formats and people are paying well over three times as much for much less music, I just don't understand it. I understand people buying both.

C6H12O6 and hodgo like this.
  15. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I'm a huge Dylan fan and have had the 1966 and 1975 boxes since release. I haven't made it through either of them yet.
    Not because the music isn't fantastic but just because it seems impossible to find the time and
    because the set lists are quite similar. Sometimes less is more.

16. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The two Dylan sets are analogous in that they both contain music from the same tour, but they are in no way two formats of the same release.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I'm one of those people that do feel vinyl is superior most of the time. Also, I have two separate systems but given my love for listening to vinyl specifically through headphones I tend to listen to more vinyl than CDs. My secondary system does sound incredible with CDs because of the DAC chip in the Onkyo 9010. In any case, I listened to the 2 disc version on my way to work and it is indeed incredible. I believe I now remember wanting the vinyl at the time but it was out of print with crazy prices. Very happy that it was reissued! I'll more than likely get the 14 CD set too. Do people have favorite discs on the CD set?

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Spinning the vinyl right now, kicks significant ass! It does need some volume but overall quite pleased with the sound quality. The booklet is absolutely incredible!

Richard--W, dtuck90 and oldjollymon like this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

So I made the difficult decision to return the vinyl for a replacement as there were visible scratches (caused by the ****ty paper sleeves?) that caused one minute plus of repeated crappy ticks on Twist of Fate. The other two were fine. I did notice quite a bit of sibilance in parts which could be the age of my cartridge/needle although I don’t notice it on other records.

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Diving into the 14 disc set right now. Fantastic material and essential in my opinion! I’m sort of jumping around as I haven’t had time for real long listening sessions. From what I’ve heard thus far Worcester and Montreal shows are incredible.

21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Agreed. The Worcester show is absolutely amazing. It might be the best live Dylan I’ve ever heard!

22. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

My God disc 3 is outta this world! Holy ****!

23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    supermd, Leviathan, Bob M. and 2 others like this.
  24. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

This set is such an embarrassment of riches. Since it’s release all those months ago, I’m not sure it’s ever been back on my shelf it’s been on such heavy rotation (I’m looking at it right now on our kitchen “breakfast bar” counter, having just come out for a play).

I think Montreal is one of the best shows he’s EVER played in ANY era—just a fantastic gig.

25. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

Everyone reading this thread will enjoy the interview with Rob Stoner on the most recent edition of the stellar Flagging Down the Double E's newsletter. That link will go to the Stoner interview post specifically, but I recommend subscribing to get every new entry emailed to you. You can subscribe or just scroll through all the posts here.

I have no affiliation, but I haven't noticed it getting the recognition it deserves here on the Forum, even though it's consistently been the highlight of my inbox for months. I've plugged this project before on the Listening Thread and wanted to bring up again, since it immediately got buried with the release of "Murder Most Foul."

With all the Dylan appreciation and scholarship happening here, it's sure to appeal. The entries bounce around from era to era (each post uses a specific concert on that day's date as a jumping-off point). I'll probably recommend again in other era-relevant threads as it goes along.