Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. I'm more than familiar with the Dylan narrative or at least the narrative that has been spun by critics, journalists and obsessive fans for over 50 years, and yet I will still probably say WTF is this? For my money there has been too much attention paid to concert tours which once completed were probably quickly forgotten by Dylan himself. Clinton Heylin and his ilk just feed on this super-obsessiveness and Scorcese will try to make his own narrative out of it whilst no doubt irritating the hell out of fans who just want more concert footage.

musicaner likes this.
  2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Maybe Colonel Tom Parker is still alive and well...

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

To be honest as long as the music and mastering stays top notch I'm not particularily bothered if the covers aren't that great. I will say though, whilst the outer cover art is not the best, I've always thought what is contained in the books included with Bob's archive releases, particularily the Bootleg Series to be of a high standard.

4. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

Every new Dylan release thread gets quite heated in regards to the quality of the album artwork; but can we just take a minute to comment these shirts!? What is that, swords!? Who the heck designs this stuff!? These have to be the worst shirts in all of rock and roll! The RTR shirt isn’t bad with just a simple graphic on the front, but what’s going on with that other one? Who are the three horsemen and what do they have to do with Dylan? Is he known to ride a horse?

[edit]

I see the terrible designs are already being discussed. Carry on.

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

He did date Joan Baez*.

*Who wrote a song called “Three Horses”.

Yorick and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  6. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

If an August release date is the current plan, perhaps they'll do August/September Netflix doc and RTR live set, October/November BS 15 desire sessions or a collected 75-76 "soundtrack" no direction home type thing, and then December 69' cash sessions copyright dump (if that's still even in the cards)

shadow blaster likes this.
  7. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Google Images reveals all
    [​IMG]

Electric Sydney and rstamberg like this.
  8. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

This picture is amazing!

rstamberg likes this.
  9. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

THIS is amazing:

[​IMG]

10. The film it's from is anything but!

subtr likes this.
  11. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

So have I considered the books to be of high-quality until BS 13 and BS 14.
    That's when troubles began in the Bootleg Series.

The Test Pressing didn't go inside an album cover in 1974. It was in a plain
    wrapper with a stamp on it. Perhaps putting the RSD Test Pressing in the
    plain wrapper -- before a cover had been designed like in 1974 -- is Dylan's
    way of telling us that the Test Pressing isn't Blood On the Tracks yet. I'm
    fine with it. It's not an issue. However, the overly dark printing and curly
    font on BS 13, so that the fingerprints are easier to see than the image and
    words,not to mention the badly screwed-up documentary inside, signaled
    a drop in quality in the BS Series. Likewise the inappropriate title and cover
    image, the incorrect annotation and missing pages in the book, marked a
    further deterioration in the Bootleg Series. The packaging is no advantage
    to the artist.

But these things are easy to overlook when one listens to the music.

hodgo likes this.
  12. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Illiterate and stupid humor. Sick and Offensive.

AndoDoug likes this.
  13. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Every other date on that British film registry site — including dates on that Dylan entry — used the European Day/Month/Year format so the release date on the entry was erroneously listed for March. To my knowledge, August is not the target release date.

14. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Getting back to what might be on the upcoming box-set, the thought of a disc full of rehearsals is truly tantalising. The atmosphere and feel of the version of People Get Ready on the Renaldo and Clara promo EP is so beautiful, casual and playful, almost like a mid-70s Basement Tape. The quality of this recording also shows that the original tapes are of a high standard. Songs like Patty's Gone To Loredo and Kaw Liga would be great to have. And who knows what else is there, not withstanding the actual repertoire that eventually made it into the live set.

15. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

[​IMG]

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Oh nice! I'll have to keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up!

nfmboss666 likes this.
  17. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Brutal, but true.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    stepeanut likes this.
  18. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Just read the Rolling Thunder article in the new issue of UNCUT. The article is good but brings no news on the movie or box.

EDIT: Well it does say "this year" for the movie. And that it uses "much of the archive footage shot for Renaldo&Clara" and "unbelievable performance footage".

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    streetlegal likes this.
  19. I wonder what is "unbelievable" about the footage.

20. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Mojo Magazine has Dylan on it's cover and one track from box set on it's cover CD

Mojo

21. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Something about the close-ups and intimacy of it all

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    SomeLocalLoser and WildHoneyPie like this.
  22. WildHoneyPie

WildHoneyPie Here's a autobiographical song for ya

The sample track is "The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Caroll" from one of the Boston shows. If i had to guess which Boston show it's from, it would be the evening show which was showcased heavily on Bootleg Series 5.

SomeLocalLoser likes this.
  23. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

"AN EXCLUSIVE BOB DYLAN SONG from a forthcoming box set is the jewel in the crown of the newest MOJO magazine, which arrives in UK shops from Tuesday, April 23. The extraordinary version of The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll from a Boston Music Hall gig of November 1975 is one of the highlights of The Rolling Thunder Revue – The 1975 Live Recordings, a 14-CD box set that serves as a companion to the Rolling Thunder documentary film, directed by Martin Scorsese that’s coming soon to Netflix."

14 cd's :righton:

24. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Mojo always say "available in stores from Tuesday" but Sainsburys always sell it from Saturday. And as a subscriber it should arrive Friday (tomorrow) although must remember its Easter bank holiday weekend so that might cause delay.

WildHoneyPie likes this.
  25. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Lord only knows when it hits the shelves au Canada