Bob Dylan "Rolling Thunder Revue: The 1975 Tour Recordings" (14CD box set; 7th June 2019)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Mar 6, 2019.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

What is this sh....ow?

2. VatiBobo

VatiBobo A Scotsman in Canada

There shouldn't be any issues with it being scheduled (unless there are behind the scenes issues between the involved parties and companies). It's not like regular TV where they have to make space in the schedule - it's just made available for streaming. I'd think that only people who are Dylan fans, or curious music fans, are ever likely to watch it - I would be surprised if someone with no knowledge of Dylan randomly watched it.

3. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

agree, but it has the scorsese brand so i dont think it will be relegated to the midnight run, if netflix has a
    midnight run. it should get some prominence at least for a bit.

4. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

What the hell is a “midnight run”?

5. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

I would like it if these just re released the bootleg series from this tour. Too rich for my blood on the used market, but has always been one of my favorite live releases.

6. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

my bad, i thought netflix was like hbo. i guess with netflix you can just load it up there.

midnight run, i was thinking of the dave dixon show from years ago, where your local
    uhf station would show stuff like the groove tube after midnight.

7. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

Any pictures of the shirts? I’d love a good RTR shirt

rmath84 and appearcomposed like this.
  8. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

They had the vol 5 vinyl box for $75 on Amazon Spain a few weeks back. Maybe indicative of a reissue. My preorder hasn’t been cancelled yet!

9. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

yes there are, i saw them somewhere but i cant recall where. basically its the cover of the box with the dylan headshot.

10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

[​IMG]

maybe guino can hook you up

rmath84, superstar19 and TimeandTempo like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That was when record stores would be open at midnight to sell new releases at the earliest permissable hour. I would run out and be there sometimes myself.

AndoDoug likes this.
  12. Guy Smiley

That, I get. The post I responded to was speaking of Netflix though. That person posted a response explaining what he meant (Confusion over how Netflix works, fair enough).

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

netflix doesn't press to blu-ray or DVD, do they?

14. VatiBobo

Some Netflix shows have had physical releases, such as House of Cards.

15. Guy Smiley

Same with their (now cancelled) Marvel shows. The Dylan move will almost certainly get a physical release. Not doing so would be foolish (Also, like No Direction Home I’d hope there’s bonus material).

16. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Numbereight is correct - since pedantry already means EXCESSIVE concern with details, calling mine ABSURD pedantry adds nothing, thus the "tautology" of 'saying of the same thing twice in different words,' in this case using a redundant descriptive.

This from ER- British film classification board has seen the vid:

The film board suggest the release date is 3 August, which sounds plausible. Some interesting tid bits:

LANGUAGE
    There is strong language ('f**k')

DRUGS
    A man talks about LSD being his "drug of choice" and another man referring to, in song lyrics, "junkies in the hall."

There is a use of the word 'n*****' in the lyrics of the song Hurricane​
    ROLLING THUNDER REVUE: A BOB DYLAN STORY BY MARTIN SCORSESE | British Board of Film Classification

NumberEight and HominyRhodes like this.
  17. VatiBobo

I hope that there will be a physical release and would surprised if there isn’t. One issue, though, is that, as far as I’m aware, they’ve never done a physical release of a documentary, movie or one-off special. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with this one.

18. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Netflix mostly just licenses these shows/movies for exclusive use (or exclusive US/Canada streaming). Depending on the terms of the license, it could permit physical media, even while still available on Netflix.

The recently rebooted MST3K was bankrolled through a Kickstarter campaign, with some funding from Netflix. A physical BR/DVD release was part of the rewards for the Kickstarter, and also came out in general release a year after its streaming debut.

I would think a Bob Dylan documentary should certainly have a physical release in the nearish future.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  19. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

A well-known musician friend of mine has seen the Scorsese film and heard selections from the RTR box. His opinion is that the film is the best on Dylan since Don't Look Back, and he was also quite taken with what he heard from the box set. So, with Bob you never know, but I would expect these things to be released in the near future.

20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Awful designs. The RTR shirt looks particularly bad with that typeface. They should have just gone with the vintage font/design that they used for the original promotional materials on the 1975 tour:

[​IMG]

gearyoleary and AndoDoug like this.
  21. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

Bob Dylan consistently hires the worst graphic designers. I heard a rumor that he does his own graphic design and I wouldn’t be surprised. Most of his releases these days look like someone decided to save money by hiring their brother-in-law because he knows how to use the computer. It’s really shameful. Very poor quality work.

AndoDoug, stepeanut and Richard--W like this.
  22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

His album covers have stunk for a long time. His last couple of
    Bootleg Series box-sets have been the worst-looking in the
    annals of popular music. His posters and t-shirts look like crap.

But the music is something else.

23. There has been no physical release of Springsteen On Broadway announced.Bruce holds the copyright.I always thought that Netflix might have exclusive rights for about a year.
    What happens there might be a pretty good guide to the Rolling Thunder movie.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  24. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Agree completely. I know many fans like to show their allegiance by buying a T-shirt at the gig, but when I see them on the street, or wherever, they just look dreadful. I haven’t seen a Dylan shirt I would want to own in decades.

fallbreaks and AndoDoug like this.
  25. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

You do have to wonder how many people of this quality Bob provides work for thanks to some familial or longstanding connection.