Bob Dylan SACD on MFSL: What's Next?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Rhett Thomas, Oct 20, 2014.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I've got the "inferior" US DCC with the .5 db more shrill harmonica. But it still sounds good to me.

superstar19 likes this.
  2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I sent you a message.

3. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Er, any chance I can have the same "message"?

4. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I hope MFSL with do Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Love the instrumentals. The wild west in e minor.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  5. eelkiller

It was not a review so I don't think you would get much out of it. Sorry. :)

6. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Beating the DCC is going to be tough.

Will wait for the reviews.

7. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

If anyone has had a chance to audition the new Highway 61 or Planet Waves and wants to share their thoughts, please feel free :wave:

GuinnessDan and Turmatic like this.
  8. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

The Mfsl Planet Waves sounds great to my ears. Cranking it up it sounds like Dylan and the Band are playing in your living room. Great separation of all the instruments and Bobs singing. This is maybe my favorite Dylan Mfsl SACD. Two thumbs up. Tough Mama!

RubenH, masterbucket, art and 2 others like this.
  9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

How does it compare to the Sony SACD?

10. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I haven't done a side by side but have listened to the Sony SACD recently and the Mfsl is superior in every way. Way more life like, very warm and detailed. I don't have high end gear but do have a Sony SACD ES player with a Denon receiver and very good Energy speakers which serve me good enough.

RubenH likes this.
  11. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Is there any high pitched hiss on one of the first few tracks on side one? I can't remember which track it is off hand but the vinyl mofi has a very annoying high pitched noise throughout one of the songs. It;s not evident on any of the other tracks on the album.

12. eelkiller

What release are you inquiring about? :) Planet Waves or Highway 61?

13. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

i'd have to assume planet waves as track 1 on Highway 61 tends to go by its official name!

14. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

Planet Waves.

eelkiller likes this.
  15. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Curious how the MFSL Planet Waves SACD layer compares to the 2004 non-SACD Sony CD ... Thanks!

16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I'm curious how Highway ... sounds to the DCC. The MFSL was mastered from a copy.

17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I need to play them back to back to get a good sense. I played the 2004 SACD a little over a week ago and was hoping the MFSL would come out a little less bright. I have since received and listened to the MFSL, and really enjoyed it, but to comment on how they differ, I'd need to play them back to back. When I played the MFSl, I was just enjoying the songs. I didn't hear anything sonics-wise to take away from that.

RubenH likes this.
  18. art

art Senior Member

Agreed.

RubenH likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Mine were sent to my former address and haven't been re-routed to me yet. Sigh. I don't have the DCC Highway but I can compare Planet Wave SACDs.

20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Others have commented that the MFSL sounds a bit brighter and less natural in the vocals.

21. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Given that you have the pleasure of listening to PW on the Esoteric K03, this verdict carries quite some weight !

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I'm playing PLANET WAVES (the MFSL SACD) for the second time and I'm delighted with it. It's one of my top three favorite Bob albums and the SACD is very well done. I have the MFSL LP as well, but haven't listened to that just yet ...

This SACD is just about perfect. You must remember this album was recorded in like, three days and all the harsh spots heard on all previous incarnations have been smoothed out beautifully. This is my go to version now.

Joti Cover and masterbucket like this.
  23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I carefully listened to DCC's Highway 61 Revisited again. The challenger was the new MFSL SACD mastering. The MFSL has slightly (!) better details in the upper midrange, but the voice sounds a little "strange" to me. The DCC 24 Karat disc has a beautiful analogue sound of the complete spectrum without any harshness. Sounds more musical on my dCS playback. The DCC is still the best digital version out there.... IMO.

24. That DCC CD has a magical sound to it that's hard to beat. I'm more interested in getting New Morning and Planet Waves next.

fluffskul likes this.
  25. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

New Morning sound unbelievable. Very smooth yet detailed with lots of weight I never heard before. It's one of my favorites of the reissue series so far.

Joti Cover, art and rstamberg like this.