Bob Dylan: Shadow Kingdom - Digital Release June 02, 2023 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BawBag, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I love R&RW, but I rate the singing just slightly below the twin Shadows

2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe we can get a college film class that is studying digital effects and how to manipulate film to colorize Shadow Kingdom.

3. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

OT, but I just saw the Stones "TAMI" set colorized. Kinda like it :agree:

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It'd be a bit sad if they did, imo. Shadow Kingdom is a new performance by Dylan, and is clearly styled in a specific way to suit whatever he was going for. Then, months later, a bunch of college kids come and undo all that by adding color. Yikes.

Nosferatuz and The Bard like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was kidding, of course.

Geordiepete, richierichie and Vaughan like this.
  6. EmceeEscher

EmceeEscher Forum Resident

Is there any chance this doesn't come out as an audio release?

7. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I imagine it will come out at some point.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Glad to be of service! :yikes:

:biglaugh:

RayS likes this.
  9. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I haven't seen the show unfortunately but I imagine if it was shot digitally the monochrome was probably added in post production and could be removed at the flick of a digital switch.

10. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

So if you were to treat SK has a full, audio album - as I believe it has the right to be regarded given it clearly was recorded in a studio and is the perfect length - how does it compare to other 21st century Bob albums?

11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

More a video than an album IMO and similar in concept to Unplugged in 1995, but with more interesting visuals. To think that in 1995 we thought his voice was showing strain!

Tim

12. JudasPriest

Unplugged would still fall into the category of live album tho where as SK appears to be a pre-recorded studio collection which had a music video made to it after the fact.

Leaving that aside, it's comfortably superior to Unplugged to my ears and worthy of comparison to his 21st century studio albums.

Nosferatuz likes this.
  13. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

The fact that it makes so much sense for Bob to release it officially is probably the main reason it will never see the light of day ;)

Jimmy Jam, steviej, phillyal1 and 7 others like this.
  14. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I listen to the audio quite a bit. It works wonderfully as an album. Maybe even better than on video because we don't have to see the guitarists exaggerating their miming, which I find a bit distracting.

15. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

To these ears, he was showing strain as far back as Street Legal.
    My first thought upon hearing that album in 1978 was "What the hell happened to his voice?"

SteveM, Muddy, When In Rome and 5 others like this.
  16. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Unplugged is just about live whereas SK is fake live, true. What they have in common though is that both have a setlist of existing songs, and both are videos. Only one song on both though: Tombstone Blues. I agree that Shadow Kingdom is more interesting and unexpected, though I like the late 1994 Dylan; that said I prefer almost any of the bootlegged 1994 concerts to Unplugged, which has a rather plastic feel (not live enough!).

Tim

JudasPriest likes this.
  17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

The answer: Rolling Thunder.

18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Exactlyoto. That shouting thing he started doing on the '74 tour with the Band went completely over the top during the RTR tours in 1975-76. Couldn't have done his voice any good.

19. JudasPriest

Shadow Kingdom remains a gorgeous listen - not as weighty or important as the mighty RARW but a lovely complement to it and and further evidence of the miraculous late late period smoothing out of his pipes.

Yeti, Nosferatuz, Fred1970 and 8 others like this.
  20. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Still no news about a retail release. Ugh. I loved the original broadcast. I was hoping I could hear it again someday!

Jason W, Yeti, Fred1970 and 4 others like this.
  21. JudasPriest

If his singing on the upcoming tour starting Tuesday is anywhere near as good as on SK, we're in for quite the treat.

ExHead, The MEZ, Dflow and 2 others like this.
  22. I was hoping for an audio release.However if they were going to do this the lead up to Christmas would be the ideal period and we are running out of time for an announcement.The new albums announced in the last week that I will buy-Elvis Costello,Anais Mitchell,The Delines-are all 2022 releases.

phillyal1, Markab and Yeti like this.
  23. Nosferatuz

Nosferatuz Forum Resident

I downloaded the audio and video a couple of weeks after the streaming took place. Watched it tonight as a matter of fact. Like the tenth time. So to officialy release or not doesn't concern me. ;)

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I always had assumed that the actual webcast was lossy mp3 sound (even if the uploaders did it in flac, it doesn't make it lossless).

Has any "techie" checked the data-type? Is it lossy sound as I assumed?

At least an official issue would be remastered in lossless sound.

They could also include the tunes that were recorded but not broadcast.

Floater and Yeti like this.
  25. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

I remember I did a spectral analysis of the flac and it cut off around 16kHz or so. Yeah, it was a low-quality mp3 stream,

Floater likes this.