Bob Dylan: Shadow Kingdom - Digital Release June 02, 2023 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BawBag, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Excellent!

The Bard, highway and Amnion like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Licking bootleg records before the first playback is far cheaper than one of those record cleaning machines.

[​IMG]

MrCJF, babyblue and Amnion like this.
  3. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Not necessarily. While miming is not actually playing, a non-musician trying to do it would look ridiculous.

Floater and babyblue like this.
  4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Upon doing a little research I found this on the Expecting Rain discussions.

Shadow Kingdom sessions (Los Angeles, 2021)
    The released recordings come from extended sessions that involved different line-ups of musicians. There are bound to be a lot of outtakes. A list of outtakes posted on the Hoffman forum is most likely fake, though.

That list is probably on this thread somewhere. I still think different musicians were involved with the sessions though.

Floater, TheAbsentMind and imsjry like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe that T Bone Burnett made a statement that agrees with you, about a variety of sessions.
    As material for the film may have been drawn from different sessions and players, it is understandable that the film required miming, as is done for nearly all film productions not drawn from actual concerts.

6. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yes, I know I heard the sessions went on for awhile and brought in different musicians.

7. matt79rome89

I also think the style and arrangements are very similar to his current touring band, so would imagine a few of them were part of it. Has Tony Garnier NOT been included on any sessions this century?

babyblue likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe he was unable to travel to the sessions due to the pandemic

Amnion likes this.
  9. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Known (believed?) to be involved in the studio sessions - though not necessarily on the final cuts - were Don Was, Greg Leisz, Tim Pierce, T. Bone Burnett and Ira Ingber. Jeff Taylor's name comes up, also.

Tim Pierce spilled some beans on a YT clip:-

Ira Ingber let a few cats out of the bag from about 28 minutes in during an interview:-

Episode #753 – Ira Ingber

Tim Pierce mentions "Masters of War" which was an Ionic sessions song, apparently not repeated for Shadow Kingdom. The SK sessions were distinct from, and after, the Ionic sessions apparently, but most likely recorded in the same undisclosed location in L.A., and may well have featured some of the same musicians. Probably.

The musicians in the video were identified as: Buck Meek , Alexander Burke, Janie Cowan, Joshua Crumbly, and Shahzad Ismaily.

10. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I think the point is, who cares? We've been through "It wasn't live" (duh) and other nit-picking etc.
    It's a "movie" really, and a wonderful one. Watched it again yesterday, I just wish it was longer!

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There was probably a lot more filming.

Amnion likes this.
  12. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I live in hope.... :agree:

13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Amnion likes this.
  14. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

very odd. Tim Pierce comments on Shadow Kingdom, while Ira Inger comments on Tims video, as if Shadow Kingdom had yet to be released.

Alfie Noakes likes this.
  15. matt79rome89

Who cares... me! I think theories, conjecture, and putting the pieces of the puzzle together are one of the reasons we contribute to this conversation. The fact he features a band on film that might've only been part of the sessions or not at all is fascinating to me.

16. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Ok.

17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There was a time when Greenwich Village shops would have been selling 2 CD sets, including outtakes.

babyblue and Lewisboogie like this.
  18. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

You can argue over whether you like the SK content or not, but contextually it was Bob doing something different and continuing to push the envelope, even at a time when most of the world was treading water. It's one of the reasons that I hold him in such high regard as an an artist.

Can any other artist match Bob's output over the COVID-19 period?

Vagabond and Codename:Hex like this.
  19. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

Rumor today from a credible source over at Expecting Rain that Shadow Kingdom is coming out in June. Closing credits instrumental is called "Sierra's Theme."

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I really hope this is true

Yeti likes this.
  21. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

saw that. i guess an announcement would be really soon.

wonder if it's just a CD or CD/blu-ray combo? not doing the latter would be a big miss but i don't care as long as we have the audio officially released. SK was cool but i'm not big on music videos or videos of live performances. would always just rather have an official audio release.

JoeF., Dylan75 and mrjinks like this.
  22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

The label could try and boost sales and release it in time for Fathers Day on 18th June. I’d expect an announcement real soon

23. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Once at time I would have been jumping around the room at this news - as it is I'm more excited about the new Paul Simon album announced today.....

24. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I guess it was inevitable, but it's good to see an announcement anyway. I've no interest in the video portion, but the music is too good to miss.

Justin Brooks and Amnion like this.