Bob Dylan: Shadow Kingdom - Digital Release June 02, 2023 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BawBag, Jun 16, 2021.

1. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It was available for streaming on Apple Music at 9p pacific.

supermd likes this.
  2. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Also streaming on Amazon (Prime) in US.

3. moops

moops Senior Member

A Sony catalogue number such as
    SICP-6512 seems to suggest the CD will be manufactured in Japan. Usually the catalogue number would look different and something like *non Japan made disc or manufactured outside Japan would appear in the product listing.

Like this one ….

Shadow Kingdom [Import Disc] Bob Dylan CD Album

:wave:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    The MEZ likes this.
  4. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

It’s on Spotify too. I might even listen to it. Friends report flimsy packaging

5. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

Would you call this album soundtrack or studio album?

6. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I ordered the Japanese CD - hoping for better packaging :)

7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Listened to it this morning on my commute. Pleasant but inessential, I think.

Floyd8318, timnor and NeonMadman like this.
  8. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

I'm interested in that, too.

One more question: Are the recordings of this official physical release exactly the same as in the movie?
    Or is it mixed differently?

9. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Streaming now.... this is a great listen. I love it.

10. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

My CD just arrived. I haven't listened yet but shockingly minimal packaging. No booklet. Not even any musician credits, which is just disrespectful. Bit disappointing but I look forward to the music.

11. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

We don’t know what kind of agreement or communication was given to the musicians prior to the session. None of them have spoken out about playing on it or feeling disrespected for 2 years which makes me think they’re along for the ride.

Nosferatuz and warewolf95 like this.
  12. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm seeing all the complaints about packaging......Dylans albums have hardly been the grandeur of packaging over the years....especially on CD. Time Out Of Mind had bare minimum info back in the day in a folded inner cover - which became standard for the next few albums. R&RW was a basic cardboard sleeve - although we did get the musicians names at least.

Nosferatuz and warewolf95 like this.
  13. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Mildly interesting that it is on the Columbia Legacy label and thus considered to be an archival release rather than a new album as such.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Well, maybe so but this does feel a bit cheap as a product, notwithstanding the nice cover shot. But as has already been said, R&RW and Tempest weren't much better.

15. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

They told me Monday arrival even though I ordered it the day it was announced. Woke up this morning to a notification it would arrive today along with the new Roger Waters LP.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

I've used the genre soundtrack when I just imported it into itunes*.
    There's no gaps in the music so far, they all segue into each other with little musical (w)interludes. I'm up to track 7.

(*Yes, I still use iTunes etc. :rolleyes: )

Floater and NeonMadman like this.
  17. Kid Blast

Kid Blast Forum Resident

Nice, I have them both on pre-order too. Rufus is a sensational live act too if you haven’t seen him. What a talented family!

mike s in nyc likes this.
  18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Listening now, hi res (24/96) on Qobuz. Sounds really nice to my ears on first pass. But then again, it's Bob. I'm biased.

20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Any word on if or when we'll get a physical release of the video on DVD/Blu-ray/4K?

TheAbsentMind and caleb1138 like this.
  21. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

First listen and, well, it is an odd beast isn't it. I haven't seen the show but the audio only experience sounds rather like a bunch of musicians sitting around jamming on some old Bob tunes without any real intention of them being made public. It sort of reminds me of some of the rehearsal recordings from the Rolling Thunder box, though obviously it is a very different sounding Bob and band. Great to hear him singing so well though.

22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Agree that it’s odd. The singing is strong but it’s strangely unsatisfying as a CD release. Not sure why I don’t like it more.

keyse1 and chickendinna like this.
  23. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

After my first listen, what really jumped out is that Bob sounds great. But my first impression was, oh jeez, another Bob Dylan live piece that won't get much airplay. That's not to say he hasn't released some indispensable live albums, bootlegs included. But to me, Shadow Kingdom doesn't fall into that category. I'm content to stream this one.

J. Frank Parnell likes this.
  24. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

It's really an audio/video thing IMO, but that's me. I don't think I'd ever just "listen" to this.

25. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Member

I was going to buy it after listening today - but not in this shoddy CD package, and not as an overpriced, three sides only, vinyl "double".