Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I just listened to Belfast earlier this evening, and instantly recognised "I Don't Believe You" from Biograph.

Bob M., Clanceman and asdf35 like this.
  2. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Wow. It's odd that Heylin would point it out so clearly. Good times!

3. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

[​IMG]

Mal, Fred1970, zobalob and 9 others like this.
  4. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Why, with thirty sound-board quality discs at my disposal, have I spent my first day with "the box" listening only to the audience tapes? Well, I think they recapture (for me) some of the thrill of the scratchy, wobbly, cracking bootleg LPs that I adored as a teenager. That really was a magical, mystical time. Also, hearing some close-up audience reaction gives a flavour of what it must've been like to be hearing these songs for the first time, pristine and unsullied. And imagining the wild-haired young Man with the world at his feet, strumming and blowing and chanting like a prophet right there in front of you. Imagine that.

Rat Salad, JohnS, Tim Wilson and 4 others like this.
  5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

How are the incomplete songs handled? Abrupt cuts or fades? Pauses?

I love the garbled sound of a reel running out of tape.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  6. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Ha ha...nice one :) Well here I go, Paris ...I'm going in

7. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Mine doesn't like Dylan...maybe she needs a hip replacement

8. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

Eat the Document and No Direction Home versions IDs via listening and comparing (a lot of this already known)

ETD Tell Me Momma - Liverpool

ETD I don't believe you - Cardiff

ETD Baby Follow you down - Liverpool

ETD Tom Thumbs - Belfast

ETD One Too Many Mornings - Belfast

ETD Thin Man - Newcastle > Glasgow ('you have many contacts') > Cardiff > Edinburgh
    ~complete Newcastle Thin Man is Epic

ETD LARS - Belfast

NDH Tom Thumbs - Belfast > Newcastle

NDH Leopard Skin - Dublin

NDH One Too Many Mornings - audio from both Cardiff and Liverpool. Liverpool is cut at beginning so they spliced in the start of Cardiff to cover it up.

NDH LARS - Cardiff...

Some other notes:
    Dublin - I don't Believe You is played at a slower pace for only time on tour

Belfast
    -Garth Hudson's best show

-right before One Too Many Mornings was definitely tape switch time, as the tape cuts into the beginning of the song on the following shows:
    Belfast
    Bristol (cuts in during middle of first verse)
    Liverpool
    Leichester
    Glasgow (listed as incomplete but actually quite complete, just the first few seconds missing. )
    Newcastle
    ~yes, it is tape gargle cut in. Not fade in.

not close to being all the way through and just so much great stuff everywhere.

9. OrenthalJSimspon

OrenthalJSimspon Well-Known Member

Please Sony , a dvd of ALL the concert clips from 1966.

psychtrailmix, The Bard and mgoad30 like this.
  10. alanb

alanb Senior Member

BTW - this is NOT a limited edition .....they will print more up as per demand for them...

Dylan's set was essentially the same every single night of the 1966 tour, so only the most devoted Dylan nuts will listen to all 36 CDs on the box set. The Dylan source points to Cardiff and Leicester as two of the best, while Alderson feels that Dublin and Liverpool are the standouts. Unlike other recent archival Dylan packages, this one is not a limited set. Early sales have been extremely strong. (Amazon UK sold out of their entire 1,000 box allotment in a single day.) "We'll make more of them if the marketplace demands them," says the source. "They won't be available digitally. It makes it very confusing if you go to Bob's iTunes and see the same show 35 times. But the Royal Albert Hall show will become available digitally and every other way."

asdf35 likes this.
  11. alanb

alanb Senior Member

The sound quality on the 1966 recordings varies from night to night, but is largely excellent. Credit Alderson, who mixed the house feed while operating a Nagra reel-to-reel recorder every night. "I was on a cocktail of drugs back then that included LSD, amphetamines and alcohol," he says today. "So I don't quite remember how I did it.":laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some interesting info on the recording -etc

Inside Bob Dylan's Massive New 36-Album 1966 Live Box Set ยป

12. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

You sure? That would mean that it was the same as the first half half of the NDH clip...

13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Got the Box,
    it's surprisingly smaller than I thought

Had a quick listen and thought "Wow,
    I gotta go now!"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    goer, notesfrom, RandPink and 2 others like this.
  14. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

Yes, it is used in both...the side view clip we've all watched a thousand times over the years but never knew the location.

asdf35 likes this.
  15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I, for one, would love it if Dylan's current touring returned to this format: First Set: solo acoustic; Second Set: with a band

16. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Fantastic -- enjoy the weekend now, and thanks for all of your continuing coverage of this momentous event in music history. :edthumbs:

asdf35 likes this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

So, basically just about all of them. :cool:

DeeThomaz, RandPink and asdf35 like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I noticed that Amazon USA says "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months"...were sales much greater than expected?

asdf35 likes this.
  19. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Whew! This a major feat. It's utterly amazing how colorful that era was and how great these shows are. I reckon I've only been keenly aware of them for 18 years. Many of you much longer.

Now it's all here in cube that fits in your mailbox.

Archtop and HominyRhodes like this.
  20. doubleknotspy

doubleknotspy Forum Resident

There appears to be no attempt to remove the tape squeals at the beginnings of songs or garbled tape at the ends of songs where they occur. No fades that I've heard yet but I'm only 4 discs in, listening in chronological order rather than disc sequence.

HominyRhodes, asdf35 and rihajarvi like this.
  21. RandPink

RandPink Active Member

I'm trying to formulate which electric sets are the best...it is turning into a futile attempt, all so damn good.

Electric - Belfast, Cardiff, Sheffield, Newcastle, Paris and 5/26, seem to have the most "oh my god" moments...so yeah, all of them.

hit up that Sheffield Thin Man

asdf35 and Archtop like this.
  22. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Excellent. I like that sound.

Plus it's a way to know the reel actually ran out and Sony wasn't being greedy with material. Ha

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I was just carrying the box to my music room and dropped it. Fortunately, I caught the corner on my bare foot and lowered it to the floor. I'll be seeing my orthopedic surgeon on Monday if I can walk, but the box is not dinged. Life is good.

My advice is to carry it with two hands, and balance your wine glass on your head.

Tommyboy, zobalob, bluesbro and 6 others like this.
  24. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Listened to the Feb 5th White Plains disc tonight (I'm also proceeding chronologically here, one show at a time), an audience tape I've never heard before, AFAIK. Definitely not great audio quality, with moderate distortion -- did tapers back then think it was better to stand next to the P.A. speakers? -- but really not all that bad for 1966.

The acoustic set sounds just a little rushed to me, especially Freeze Out/Visions of Johanna, and the drums and keyboards are virtually inaudible on the two electric numbers included here. Robbie's guitar fills and lead parts already seem locked into place on Tell Me Momma, and he apparently didn't vary them too much for the rest of the tour. This loose, almost sloppy performance of the song -- earliest known recording of it, right? -- makes you really appreciate the much tighter versions from later in the world tour.

I do like the fake, handwritten/old-typewriter tape box labels -- tape speed for this one is listed as 3 3/4 ips, indicating that a reel to reel recorder was used, and not a cassette. Is there a technical way to determine the original tape speed after something's been copied over and over again? (The Pittsburgh tape is listed at 7 1/2 ips, but the other audience tapes are all 3 3/4.) Or is that just Geoff Gans and the Sony gang having a little fun? Awww, all these little details...why do I even care? o_O

stonesstein, RandyP, zobalob and 4 others like this.
  25. Excellent capsule review - hope you'll keep them coming like this as you make your way through the discs...

DeeThomaz and rihajarvi like this.