Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Indeed -- so much has changed in less than a decade. Tell Tale Signs (Bootleg Series Vol. 8) was a "standard" 2-CD set in 2008 -- Sony almost actively discouraged the "deluxe" 3-CD version with it's outrageous pricing. BS9 (The Witmark Demos) was a traditional 2-CD set, but since then the approach has changed entirely. Another Self Portrait (BS10) was also a 2-CD set, but two stand-alone discs (the Isle of Wight concert and the remastered core album) made it the largest Bootleg Series set to date. I always kind of figured that when they got around to the Basement Tapes, it would be very thorough, but not exhaustive -- kind of an official "A Tree With Roots" -- but they did indeed go the "exhaustive" route, knowing that they'd just be releasing the rest of the tapes in a Copyright Dump in 2017 anyway.

I think the success of The Cutting Edge box showed Sony, Dylan Inc. and all of us that there is no reason to hold back anymore. There's money to be made, the fans want it, and they'll pay for it. I see the low price for the Live 1966 set almost as a "thank you" to the 5,000 guinea pigs who went for the $700 Collector's Edition of BS12 -- when you combine the two, it's almost a bargain. I know we've all been begging for other things from the Bootleg Series -- the Gospel Years, Blood On The Tracks, even more 1980s stuff -- but I think the events of the last few years have ensured that we will get much larger sets for those holy grails than we would have gotten ten years ago. With the Copyright issue mostly dealt with for the next few years, I think we have a LOT of great, great stuff coming our way.

2. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

That's a reasonable quantity. We certainly don't need an infinite release.

3. Well there is always an end game but aside from the big Cutting edge , most other collections are still available.

But I agree if someone wants one , then don't wait.

4. Sean Murdock

Maybe that intro was tacked onto the preceding track? I don't know, I haven't checked any track times -- I'd just be surprised if ANY banter was cut from this set. The banter is part of the magic of that tour!

5. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

36 CD's?
    I find it hard to believe that anybody has the time and motivation to sit through so much music from one artist recorded 40 years ago.
    I am a Bob Dylan fan but would rather spend my time and budget exploring new exciting music being released every week!

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  6. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

The best damned idea since Europe 72. WOOT!/k

7. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Well it is $3 million, not a bad income from one individual

8. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

You can even catch a glimpse of the onstage Dylan through the glass doors. Nice timing to get the refusniks.

TyroneSlothrop and Lars1966 like this.
  9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

He was a bastard in the second half... in addition to being a smashed idol. :thumbsdow

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

First I know of it. It certainly wasn't in general circulation when I was collecting "full time" (up through 2002).

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

funny, I already have this shirt, but gray with "06" instead of "66" for the 2006 tour.

George P likes this.
  12. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Obviously, you just haven't had enough opportunities to meet profoundly shiftless and inert people like me, or you would find it all too easy to believe.

EDLIS Café, bobcat, Mazzy and 8 others like this.
  13. timind

timind phorum rezident

Did they produce and distribute the product for free?
    I don't want to argue this as I'm not familiar with the industry or the numbers involved. That said, 5,000 just seems pretty small. Excuse my ignorance here.

14. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

Highly doubt this. The small profit margin over the manufacturing cost (compared with last year's big set) means Columbia plans (hopes) to sell many, many copies.

15. Feat21

Feat21 Forum Resident

CD 14 -Liverpool, May 14, 1966 (Soundboard)

The Band released "Tell Me Momma" on their box set A MUSICAL HISTORY in 2005:

16) Tell Me Mama - Bob Dylan 4:05 #
    COMPOSER: Bob Dylan
    REC DATE: 5/14/66 The Odeon - Liverpool

So why does it say Track 5 (Tell Me Mama) is "(Incomplete - Drop Out)"

16. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Hey man, we like what we like. At this point, Dylan has been a friend for a long time and listening to his music brings me a lot of joy! FYI I listened to 4 albums today (i.e., BS4, Hazards of Love, Division Bell & Communique) while at work and normally I play more.

17. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

No of course it cost a lot of money to produce, probably 50% or so of the retail cost, but even so it's a very decent return.

timind likes this.
  18. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I'm sure you'd agree there's likely to be a larger market for a 36-disc $109 box than there is for an 18-disc $600 box. Also, 5,000 copies of the big box were sold because that's how many were made. If they had made more, they probably would have sold more, especially once people heard about the '65 Live bonus dump.

ashlee5 and Imagine70 like this.
  19. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

You can't argue with the price but the logic of owning such a thing even for me-a recovering Bobcat- is a bit bonkers.

Yes I will probably buy it.

20. Sean Murdock

While I agree with you in that I will find this Live 1966 box a bit of a slog -- and I may never even bother listening to the poor-sounding audience recordings -- but it could be argued that the best of this box will be better than anything else released by anyone this year. I like new music too, but great music is great music, no matter when it was recorded.

21. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I'm gonna sit through all 36 cds and then i'm gonna whine about the Band. He's a disgrace etc..., I paid £105 to hear a folk singer, not a pop group, he should dump them.
    I will have to take a couple of breaks though. Anyone wanna suggest what might be the best tracks to go for a toilet break while listening to all 36 cds consecutively.
    Is it greedy to want all 20+ hours of footage too ? I'd be up for a multi disc blu ray set to go next to this and The Cutting Edge.

22. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

A great question; so far, the answers I've seen proposed are thus: 1. The track on A Musical History is mislabeled by date (and potentially the whole TAPE of whatever-that-concert-is has been mislabeled over the years, 'cause there's another track too? I forget, and I can't find the post I read to that effect); 2. There's an alternate tape source they couldn't get, but which was used for A Musical History (which would have the full Tell Me, Momma on it); 3. It's a different mistake of some sort.

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

36 CDs of Live '66 ... that can blow your mind ... like when cousins, are two of a kind.

zobalob, gottafeelin, bobcat and 3 others like this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

They wont. I didnt. And no one I know did.

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And that is one butt ugly cover