Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Forum Resident

Excellent -- a wise buy!!

Be sure to check out Sheffield's "Mr. Tambourine Man"!

2. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

How come every time someone does the smart thing, it is called a "no-brainer"?

What part of the body made the decision?

3. adm62

adm62 Forum Resident

It means you don't have to think about it (or use your brain).

4. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

Something made the decision. Some people would blame an itchy finger. Some would say the music filled a void in their heart. If your groin made the decision, everyone around you should watch out.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani Forum's hostage

I'm not a linguist, but it could also mean it was an easy decision to buy, considering the events that influenced him, such as the gift coupon he's been given and the curiosity to go through all the sets either way.

6. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...but if one said someone else hadn’t used his/her brain before making a decision, it would be a criticism. Context is everything, I guess.

Tribute likes this.
  7. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani Forum's hostage

Could have used his/her heart, instead

Six Bachelors likes this.
  8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

9. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Reading through the More Blood, More Tracks discussion thread, I've noticed a lot of scrutiny over Clinton Heylin's writing that I wasn't aware of before. I've only read his book, Judas! whilst listening through this boxset, but can anyone speak to the accuracy of the facts he presents here? Is there anything I should be aware of, or is it considered a pretty accurate overview of the tour?

Please note I'm really not here to start any Heylin bashing - there's more than enough in the aforementioned thread, and it's quite tiring.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  10. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

Heylin is very opinionated, but I don't think he's made any major errors in his books. I go to his books first when I want to look up something Dylan related.

11. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I just happened to finish Judas! this morning, literally. (2am, this morning.) I enjoyed the hell out of it, but certainly can't speak to the overall factual integrity.

But now I feel I must dive back into the Live 1966 box -- which will most likely be no small undertaking. It never ends. :wtf:

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  12. dsdu

dsdu Forum Resident

no-brainer
    noun

no-brain·er | \ˈnō-ˈbrā-nər \
    Definition of no-brainer

: something that requires a minimum of thought

13. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

The SHF panel of experts (not me!) discovered that the 1966 Live box set has the final performances of "Like A Rolling Stone" from Newcastle and Cardiff switched around, and Heylin was apparently unaware of that fact when he wrote the book, so his descriptions of those two shows are well off the mark -- as I recall off the top of my head, the Cardiff audience actually responded in an enthusiastic and positive manner to the electric set with The Hawks, while some elements of the Newcastle crowd hooted and hollered a bit. Other than that, I believe his narrative is fairly trustworthy. As for his writing style, yes, that's another matter.

Percy Song, Archtop and SlimLee like this.
  14. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

I remembered that while I was reading the book last night. It stressed me out.

It's never simple.

And the CSI on MBMT hasn't really even started yet... :wtf:

15. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

Yeah, I can't remember exactly how it was deduced - but I do recall being quite impressed by the lengths gone to prove the switch! I'm 100% confident that those recordings were switched, which reminds me - I recently re-ripped all my CDs to FLAC, and I need to go and swap those two around.

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I've read this a couple of times here and never wrote it down. Then later I'd find myself scratching my head over what was switched. I finally wrote it down in my hodge-podge of notes for this box. Thanks for the reminder.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

There's a few errors here and there in Judas!. Something about the date of the Lennon limo ride. And he says that Dylan was playing a Martin guitar at the Paris Olympia show.

However, reportedly it was Clinton Heylin himself who urged/recommended that Sony/Columbia/Dylan release all of the 1966 tour recordings in one shebang (minus a few reels that were missing or duplicated, ie., Richard Alderson's Manchester electric Nagra set, etc.) - instead of just a selection of shows. This turned out to be Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - the 36-cd set that we know and louvre, and is the subject of this thread.

Based on this, I have vowed to never say anything 'bad' about Heylin again. He can claim that he knows what Dylan's future songs are about, and what Dylan is thinking at this very moment in time, and that would be fine with me.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  18. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

a frenzied, cross-continental investigation of shirt sleeves, backdrops, audience reactions and dvd extras – or, as we like to call it, just another day in dylanland on the shf

Crispy Rob, HominyRhodes and SlimLee like this.
  19. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

I got this about 6 months ago, ridiculouslycheap, still haven't opened it. Its a bit daunting.

So is this thread, but I'll have to pick through for highlights and recommendations.

20. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I feel ya. I opened my box to read the (disappointing) booklet, but have yet to play a single disc. Like you, I just kind of look at it and become overwhelmed. It therefore falls to the bottom of the playlist.

Strange box set. I'm not playing it, and it's not even on "to play" stack. Yet there it is. You can't even sell it, because the postage would be killer. :D

johnnybrum likes this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Paris, Newcastle, RAH 1 (to experience the majesty), RAH 2 (to hear the tolltaker taketh; just don't listen to this first), Liverpool, Dublin and Glasgow (this route was our friend Mitchum's itinerary).

You'll discover your own favorite shows or instances, of which there are lots to appreciate.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  22. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Just pick a concert at random from the first 31 CDs and play it.

23. Percy Song

Percy Song Tom's Tambourine Man

If my mem'ry serves me well, in "Judas" Clinton was less than accurate in his reporting of the backstage conversation(s) Bob had with Allen Ginsberg in December 1965. Clinton reports them as one conversation held at one of the Berkeley shows the week before. Sleuths here determined later, on the release of the so-called "Ginsberg Tapes" in 2017, that they took place at two different venues (San Francisco, 11 Dec and San Jose, 12 Dec). These are understandable errors given the book was published before the tapes were released. However, he has since gone on record to question the findings here that "Berkeley" is in fact San Jose, and appears to remain welded to the notion that he is correct. It's not a major problem, just a bit tiresome.

I kind of agree with this despite his claim that the BOTT First Acetate is probably a fake and a number of other faux pas over the years. If he cut out the personal attacks on other writers and musicians, producers and, well, everyone his books would be more pleasant but I don't expect to stop buying them any time soon.

mickdoby and HominyRhodes like this.
  24. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Must admit, I only play the acoustic sets, as I find the electric sets spotty at best.

budwhite likes this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I've not only vowed to never say anything bad about Heylin again, I've also stopped reading him!

Dark Horse 77 and HominyRhodes like this.