Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

If they released it here it wouldn't be in the wild or in a foreign country, so that's two hurdles easily overcome.... :D

2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I still have not gone through the entire set but will do it one day.

scotty38 likes this.
  3. scotty38

scotty38 Forum Resident

I’ve just started and my extremely minor ocd won’t let me start anywhere other than the beginning so I’m almost through disc one.... Onwards and upwards :D

4. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

The late '65 U.S. shows are excellent as well...

Richard--W and scotty38 like this.
  5. scotty38

scotty38 Forum Resident

Cutting Edge “Collector’s” download?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  6. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

7. Dwight Fry

Dwight Fry Forum Resident

I guess I was thinking about the problem of identifying and tracking down people seen and heard in 50-year-old footage and getting some sort of release (if necessary). The question of mileage only compounds the problem.

The operative thinking lawyers have as far as documentary footage is concerned isn't so much whether the footage actually does infringe a copyright or trademark or somehow defame somebody seen in the footage--it is spotting material which raises the possibility of a lawsuit getting filed in the first place. As for what sort of thing could be potentially infringing or defamatory--it could be artwork on a wall, a logo on a bottle, an oral exchange between the documentary subject and a hotel employee--it all depends on what actually happened in front of the camera and whether releases were signed, etc. The bottom line, however, is that it is generally cheaper to have lawyers point out material which can be the basis for a lawsuit than it is to have to defend even a frivolous lawsuit. (Example: Hedy Lamarr sued the producers of "Blazing Saddles" for $10,000,000 over the running gag involving a character named "Hedley" Lamarr. Did she have a case? Hell no. But it was cheaper for the studio to simply settle her case for less money than it would cost to respond to her complaint in court.)

Don't get me wrong--I'm no expert, and I don't know what's actually seen in the footage. For all I know, a 30-hour blu-ray set is coming out in time for Christmas. But releasing 30 hours of documentary footage presents a different set of issues than a 30-disc CD set of recorded music.

Percy Song likes this.
  8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I don't know, 50+ year old footage....interesting. i wonder if alan price, marianne faithfall, Donovan or the hotel manager, signed releases for DLB? the idea seems weird to me.... or any of the people they talk to on the street....i cant imagine, maybe they did. I always figured it was shoot and run back then. And all the people making appearances on the rolling thunder doc...or the families? or all the people on the street during the let it be rooftop concert? there must be some fair use thing, filming in public exception etc...

Percy Song likes this.
  9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I randomly put on the Edinburgh acoustic set this week. After a long absence from listening to this tour, these songs, this style - Edinburgh played a little slow. Sounded like Bob had a rough day previously. Maybe too much travelling, maybe too much adrenaline. He coughs a lot in this date, and comically into the harmonica at some points. He really sounded weary, in ways I didn't notice while binge-listening to the sets previously.

In other words: Edinburgh acoustic: 10/10, Excellent, A+, 100%

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

More posts like this, please.

11. Vick Griffin

Vick Griffin Active Member

Late to the party with this box, but just opened the purchase this weekend only to find no disc 6 and a duplicate of disc 9. Bummer.

asdf35 and funknik like this.
  12. scotty38

scotty38 Forum Resident

Bummer indeed, sure it's just not upside down :D:D

13. Richard--W

did you buy it from amazon, or ...?

14. Vick Griffin

If only I was that dumb..

DmitriKaramazov and scotty38 like this.
  15. Vick Griffin

Bought it off eBay - but not some Chinese bootleg. It's the real box, never opened, still in shrinkwrap.

16. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Just ordered the set from a forum member.'

Is there any reason to keep the Bootleg Vol 4? Different fades edits or mixes maybe?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  17. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

It didn’t sound that different to me. I would keep it anyway. You never know when an astute listener here on the forum picks up on some key differences and you’ll need the discs to study the differences—if you’re into to that kind of stuff.

MerseyBeatle, Yayastone and asdf35 like this.
  18. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

Merci. I am into that kind of stuff for better or worse.

asdf35 and Justin Brooks like this.
  19. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Its not the same mastering, isnt it?

asdf35 likes this.
  20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

If I recall.....it's the same. It must be, as I don't remember giving it a fresh listen. All I remember is it being a missed opportunity to hear the Alderson reels for that show...Aargh...thanks for reminding me!

21. Richard--W

It's different mastering and yet the same. I think.

In any case you're going to love the box-set.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  22. Yes, if you’re like me and a completest. Absolutely keep it.

reddyempower likes this.
  23. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure it’s a different mastering, of some kind. Definitely worth keeping if you’re a completist though.

24. Richard--W

It's worth keeping if you're not a completist as well.

25. SlimLee

SlimLee Forum Resident

how come? I’ve got both but thinking I’ll offload vol 4 at some stage.