Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Hot take: they both suck. The Guitars Kissing boot has a much better (and less ear-bleeding) mastering.

2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Although it runs at the wrong speed and has a major drop-out on one track, does it not?

3. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It's still a lot easier to listen to and enjoy than either of the two officially released versions, both of which have been destroyed with loudness wars mastering.

4. Percy Song

I tend to agree, and it's relatively easy to fix the speed issue. Can't say the same for the drop-out, but that's manageable.

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

The Electric portion of the Manchester show from the box has the worst mastering in the entire set. It would have been nice if they had remastered it to sound as good as the other SBD's within that box.

6. Percy Song

This might be old news, but I watched the first half hour or so of the "Once Were Brothers" film the other day. I'm pretty sure there is some previously unseen 1966 Tour film footage in there, including Robbie and Bob in a hotel room. Worth checking out, anyway.

Crispy Rob, Richard--W and hodgo like this.
  7. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I wasn’t aware of the speed issue. Is there a specific percentage to change to fix it? I could probably figure out how to do it.
    Pretty sure the dropout is in the acoustic set,Mr Tambourine Man. Wasn’t that bad as far as I remember. I don’t think I have the skills to insert the missing moment from another source.

8. Percy Song

The electric set on Guitars Kissing runs at the same speed as BS4 within a gnat's crotchet. The acoustic set on Guitars Kissing runs slower than BS4 by about 1.8%. These are my calculations. A very smart contributor, probably way back on this very thread (and I'm sorry, I forget who it was, but thanks a lot!), confirmed that BS4 was running at the correct speed by doing some pitch/tuning comparisons.

Speed correction can be done easily with Audacity, for example. I can't remember for sure whether the drop-out is a missing piece of audio or just a silent gap that needs removing. Could just be the latter.

No matter what - I'll always keep BS4 for the booklet. Paperwork! :)

9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll leave it all as-is.

zobalob and Percy Song like this.
  10. Percy Song

Actually, the acoustic set sounds alright at the slower speed. Maybe that was the original intention before BS4 took its place. There was precedence of Bob manipulating speeds of recordings.

hodgo likes this.
  11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I always wondered whether the dropout was a kind of watermark to be able to identify that version of the show. GK was an alternate version that was not chosen for BS4. Maybe that dropout identifies whose copy it was that eventually got leaked?

12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

For Manchester, I gave all the waveforms a look. The Box set and BSV4 are exactly the same.

I have silver discs for Guitars Kissing, as well as some unknown version from CDR. These two sound alike, with Guitars Kissing being preferable; brighter and clearer.

The official versions have more intro music (or tuning) before "Tell Me Mama."

I prefer the mastering on the unofficials. I can't determine if speeds are correct. Neither versions sound too slow/fast to my pedestrian ears.

There is also a short tape, either from Alderson's reel or from a 2nd Nagra (forgot the details), of the acoustic set. Ending on an incomplete "Desolation Row."

DmitriKaramazov and hodgo like this.
  13. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Pretty sure that's exactly why Dylan didn't want the Guitars Kissing mix released.

NumberEight likes this.
  14. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have two or three different editions of Guitars Kissing and I remember
    thinking one of them sounded better than the other two, but I no longer
    remember which. Also have the concert in the Genuine Live 1966 box-set,
    the Hollow Horn 1966 set, the Jewels & Binoculars CD-R collection, and
    in a couple of other sets. Also have the Jacques von Son reels of the acetates
    which I haven't played in about 35 years. Out of all these editions the only
    one I've been listening to is the official Live 1966 box. This discussion has
    made want to hear the alternate source tape of the acoustic set in the
    Genuine Live 1966 box -- which I think is from the von Son acetate --
    which Guitars Kissing doesn't have, so I'll do that.

asdf35 likes this.
  15. jruser

jruser Forum Resident

I did a bit comparison between the old Vol4 discs and the discs from the box set. They are definitely the same mix and mastering. Many of the tracks are bit-for-bit identical. There are some samples different here and there; these are the kind of differences that typically show up among different pressings of the same disc over time.

The only reason I can see to keep the old discs are if you are really obsessive about variations that can't be heard.

16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Or if you have a full run of the BS and would mind the gap. ;)

17. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That was the same conclusion I reached. It's been almost four years, but I believe the only difference was an ever so slight change in the index points. And, obviously, the addition of the soundcheck at the end of the electric set.

reddyempower and Archtop like this.
  18. Norman garriock

Norman garriock Forum Resident

Yes, there is something more intimate in those recordings, an analogue warmth maybe? However the Sheffield set from the Genuine Live 66 box remains a favourite.

Richard--W and The Bard like this.
  19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

And like the packaging/sleevenotes. I’m certainly keeping mine. You can’t have too many copies of this show.

Richard--W, SteveFff and Archtop like this.
  20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since you mention analog warmth, I suppose so, but no one has
    actually defined that special something analog holds over digital.
    I don't know what the right word is to describe analog. I find old
    analog albums therapeutic to my ears. Dylan's acoustic recordings
    1962-66 in particular do something to my brain that nothing else
    can match. His analog electric recordings are like the seminal of
    creation. To digitize them is to make an exact replica, a clone, but
    it's missing the soul, if that makes any sense. There's something
    special, something substantial in analog that isn't in digital.

YardByrd likes this.
  21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Listening to 4/20 Melbourne today. Electric's set tape speed sounds way fast to me. Anyone else? I'm sure it's been mentioned but what's with the audience freak-out while Bob introduces Tom Thumb!

Favorite Ballad of a Thin Man on the box? I haven't listened to them successively

asdf35 likes this.
  22. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

your ears and brain are analog...

23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

That reminds me, I forgot - this year's Tour Anniversary has officially begun! Last night would have been Stockholm. I'll see you all in Copenhagen tomorrow.

24. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Three years ago, I listened to this whole box set chronologically and published my thoughts about them on the 51st anniversary of each show, on Expecting Rain. @Percy Song persuaded me to replicate them here, so I did. They start on this thread at Page 260.

Sacr, JuanTCB, highway and 12 others like this.
  25. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I can feel my urge to re-listen to this set picking up speed!