Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. roombythelake

roombythelake Forum Resident

This was awesome reading, by the way – and when I get to work through the whole box (I'm still in the early discs) I will have these write-ups close at hand. I think someone else did posts on each venue on the tour, and those posts were equally fascinating. I've been meaning to assemble all that material on my computer in chronological companion files, so I can consult them as I move through each show. Someday I'll get to it.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

There was also plenty of sleuthing going on over at ER using the available 1966 Tour footage for which @Somebody Naked deserves some kind of award. I really can't remember whether it, too, was replicated here.

Most recently, a few seconds of tantalising previously-unseen footage has emerged in the Scorsese/Robertson film "Once Were Brothers". Frankly, it's nothing to get your knickers in a twist over, but it does reinforce our knowledge that 30 hours of film are languishing in the Tulsa Archives and it kind of gets the sleuthing juices flowing again, and I'll bet a couple of people will have some more to add.

First, though, as it is 01 May - Copenhagen night - the "Once Were Brothers" film shows some street scenes from Copenhagen, about 32.5 minutes in. Cyclists, an organ grinder, throngs of people on the street. Oh, how we wish these days would return....

And Tram #10, with its (?) destination, Emdrupwej, a street north of the KB Hallen:-

[​IMG]

I don't recall seeing this before, but it may well feature in "Eat The Document" which I haven't watched for a long old time.

This next bit is new:-

Earlier in the film, at around 29 minutes and 40 seconds, a scene opens with a close up of Robbie picking an acoustic guitar backstage. The camera suddenly swings over to Bob who is leaning forward in a chair, smoking, and rubbing his right eye. He looks weary - it could be the intermission at a show. The suit he's wearing is a very strong indication that this is backstage at Manchester on 17 May.

Between the camera and Bob, an unidentified someone is flicking through a magazine:-

[​IMG]

The magazine in question is the February 1966 edition of the French monthly magazine "Salut Les Compains", probably published in mid to late January 1966 as it contains a "Hit Parade" chart for December '65/January '66. It features a six-page article titled, "La Peau Neuve de Bob Dylan". It is Issue #43 of a magazine which would later be renamed, simply, Salut!

The contents page:-

[​IMG]

Rough translation: "The New Skin of Bob Dylan He has just discovered a new style which caused a scandal. He will soon come to sing for the first time in Paris. Jean-Marc Pascal informs us how he presents himself on stage."

The first two pages of the article:-

[​IMG]

I'm too tight to buy one of the several copies currently for sale on E**y and from which I've grabbed the two images above.

I suppose that one has to assume that Bob's management, or promoter, or perhaps a fan, gave him this three month old magazine in advance of his show in Paris.

I wonder if the author accurately predicted how Bob was going to present himself on stage in Paris on 24 May......? :laugh:

3. Percy Song

It was our great friend @HominyRhodes :righton::wave:

Electric Sydney and zobalob like this.
  4. roombythelake

Indeed! I should have looked it up to give credit where credit was due, but I also knew someone else would be quick with the name. Those two series of posts were remarkable.

As was all of the info that was being presented here. (And still is! Thanks Percy Song!)

Percy Song likes this.
  5. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Regarding the venues, this was really useful and a joy to read. Just quoting it for anyone that missed it earlier:
    There was also some talk about all the great original research material collated in this thread being turned into a PDF. Did that ever happen? And if not, does anyone want to make it happen?
    See above...

roombythelake likes this.
  6. clausclaus

clausclaus Forum Resident

Empdrupvej is located about 5 kilometres north of KB-hallen on Peter Bangs Vej.

KB-hallen was destroyed by a fire in 2011. It was recently rebuilt.

Percy Song likes this.
  7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Thanks for the bump, man. As an online primer for this thread of fanatics, the SHF format seemed to work well enough. Here's the contents of the venue tour, plus...

Several pages in the 40s were taken up trying to figure out who said, 'Play f**king loud'!, and if that was even what was actually said.

Back around page 49, I got curious about the venues that Dylan was playing on the 1966 tour (and particularly those played/recorded for the tour recordings release), so I started doing research on the venues and routes and happenings, and posted the findings here:

White Plains, NY - February 5, 1966: #1201
    Westchester County Center

Pittsburgh, PA - February 6, 1966: #1204
    Syria Mosque

Hempstead, NY - February 26, 1966:
    Island Garden Arena

Sydney, Australia - April 13, 1966: #1218
    Sydney Stadium

Brisbane, Australia - April 15, 1966 *: #1220
    Festival Hall

Melbourne, April 19 & 20, 1966:
    Festival Hall

Stockholm, Sweden - April 29, 1966: #1251
    Stockholm Concert Hall - Konserthus/Konserthuset

Copenhagen, Denmark - May 1, 1966:
    #1255, #1491
    K.B. Hallen

British Isles Tour programme: #1325 , #1326

Press Conference, May Fair Hotel - May 3, 1966: #1846

Dublin, Ireland - May 5, 1966: #1299
    Adelphi Cinema

Belfast, Northern Ireland - May 6, 1966: #1302
    ABC Cinema

Bristol, England - May 10, 1966: #1329
    Colston Hall

Aust/Beachley Ferry crossing - May 11, 1966?: #1335

Cardiff, Wales - May 11, 1966: #1368
    Capitol Theatre

Birmingham, England - May 12, 1966: #1384
    Birmingham Odeon

Liverpool, England - May 14, 1966: #1464 , #1466
    Odeon Theatre

Leicester, England - May 15, 1966: #1486
    De Montfort Hall

Sheffield, England - May 16, 1966: #1489
    Gaumont Theatre

Manchester, England - May 17, 1966 : #1545
    Free Trade Hall

Glasgow, Scotland - May 19, 1966: #1552
    Odeon Theatre

Edinburgh, Scotland - May 20, 1966; #1624
    ABC Theatre

Newcastle, England - May 21, 1966: #1705
    Odeon Theatre

Bourget Aiport/George V Hotel, Paris, France - May 22, 1966: #1748

Paris Press Conference/Johnny Hallyday evening - May 23, 1966: #1751 , #1753

Paris, France - May 24, 1966: #1777
    L'Olympia Music Hall

Paris, France - May 24, 1966: #1782
    Françoise Hardy/Dylan’s 25th Birthday Party

London, England - May 26 & 27, 1966: #1891
    Royal Albert Hall

I also ended up interviewing Richard Alderson (he's the guy who did sound and recorded most of the recordings in the box set, for those of you new to the thread). #5877

Yeah, I got kind of carried away with this whole box and its unknowns. :) Now we just need all the film footage.

Sunny20, SteveFff, Archtop and 13 others like this.
  8. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Brilliant and inspiring work. It’s this kind of thing that makes this forum so essential.

9. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Indeed -- thanks to all for your input in this thread. A extreme, great companion to the great box set of music.

notesfrom and SteveFff like this.
  10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Thanks again. It's just stuff we needed to know. The subject itself demanded it.

Damn... might have to listen to the box again.

We've already been made to wear at all times a telephone...

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    SPARTACUS and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  11. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

12. roombythelake

Marking Dylan's 79th birthday today, the Flagging Down the Double E's newsletter writes up the anniversary of Paris '66, certainly the most notorious of the three shows he's played on his birthday.

SteveFff, asdf35, SlimLee and 6 others like this.
  13. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

14. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

That's a snipped of Can you please crawl out your window! If only we had a complete one.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Did anyone ever comment on the soundchecks from this tour and why they were left off the box?

16. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Notorious? What happened?

17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Manchester has a minute of soundcheck. The other 'checks have only appeared in the footage clips.

Sounds like Route cleverly looped a moment of a blues beat from the soundcheck footage at the end of their recent clip.

subtr likes this.
  18. roombythelake

Maybe "infamous" would be the better word? The generally combative nature of the tour spilled over, in Paris, into the acoustic portion as well – but the post I linked to explains it better than I could.

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Ah ok, will give it a listen.

20. Percy Song

Time for this again...?

Still waiting for Richard's book, "Open The Door, Richard"

ronbow, jvs52, notesfrom and 2 others like this.
  21. roombythelake

I'm still in the very early stages of the 1966 box myself, so I actually haven't heard it yet either! I keep holding off on pushing on with the box until I figure I can really sink into it over successive nights for a longer period in a row. But then as a result I'm missing out entirely until I can make that happen. I should really just dive in. I do really want to stick to chronology, though, so Paris will only come at the end of the project...

The Bard and adm62 like this.
  22. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Do it! I had the same experience and when I finally did the deep chronological dive, it was a great journey!

23. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

I recommend listening to it all on the same dates, so you get a real feel for the pace of the tour and (looks at today's date) oh.

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Thinking of picking up this box on Friday when I get paid. Not going to try and listen continuously, going to take it slowly

asdf35 likes this.
  25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Been saving all those individual cd commentaries, to stitch them together as a handy guide.