Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

There's always next year!

Somebody Naked and The Bard like this.
  2. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

Tonight would be an apt moment to revisit Bob's performance at the Colston Hall in Bristol on 10 May 1966. Three years ago the charity that runs the Hall announced that it would be renamed when the current renovation programme is completed later this year. The new name isn't yet known but perhaps today's events will produce a suitable martyr for the charity to immortalise.

scottc, Electric Sydney, dsdu and 3 others like this.
  3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Did this ever happen?

I did save every page in one document for reading/listening later, but I would definitely buy one.

4. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

Never happened, no. Thank you for asking.

5. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I bought the 66 tour boxset and still haven't put a dent in it. I hope to finish listening to it before my demise.

Erik B. and timnor like this.
  6. revolution_vanderbilt

Dylan sounds like he almost met his demise while trying to complete the tour.

chickendinna likes this.
  7. Wavlebe

Wavlebe Forum Resident

Posted this on another thread, posting it here as well.
    Bob Dylan and The Band U

This wouldn't have been possible without author Anders Lindh's book. This proves that there is indeed enough footage to create a complete acoustic set and electric set using multiple shows.

Sunny20, JohnS, RiRiIII and 20 others like this.
  8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It would be amazing this footage could be edited together for a reconstructed complete show to be released.

RonBaker, zobalob, Wavlebe and 5 others like this.
  9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Why can’t. jimmy Page do something this comprehensive?People would love it!

Tuck1977 likes this.
  10. revolution_vanderbilt

He would never allow a concert to be released without at least some editing. Imagine how much work it would be to do that for an entire tour's worth of shows!

Sean, rednax and vitorbastos123 like this.
  11. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

:)I’m sure me you and plenty of people could compile and edit a very excellent chronological multidisc collection.Maybe in the 70’s it would have been more work.

12. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

I know I'm late to this, but just picked this set up, plus the 2019 Rolling Thunder Revue set. I've never been one for live recordings, but Dylan makes a strong case to make an exception.

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Brace yourself. You’ve got a lot of work to do!

I enjoyed going through mine, every second day or so, for about two months. It’s almost time to revisit that methodology!

BigBadWolf and Erik B. like this.
  14. BigBadWolf

Oh, I know these will take a while to get through. Mostly because it's difficult to listen to the same set list 20 times, even with the differences in performances.

ted321 and Chemguy like this.
  15. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I'll always wish the '75 set was a bit more comprehensive to match the '66 set, but otherwise they're both stellar. I'd say they're two of my favorite Dylan items period, along with the Basement Tapes Complete and Trouble No More.

16. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I'll admit: I haven't listened through the 1966 box chronologically. Some of my friends have, and it's just a daunting task. I put it all in a playlist and listen to it on shuffle regularly. Occasionally a performance of "Mr. Tambourine Man" will pop up that I've probably heard before, but it seems new, and it just blows my mind. Or any of the other songs in the setlist. So that's all to say -- if you're willing to play the long game, treating it as a big playlist to shuffle is an option. But you should definitely listen to multiple shows in full. It's a staggering set.

babyblue and Chemguy like this.
  17. BigBadWolf

I'm more than likely going to listen to just one whole show at a time, and space it out. I don't want to get burned out too quickly. Maybe even go back and forth between the two sets. At any rate, I look forward to hearing it all and absorbing it all in.

18. revolution_vanderbilt

I don't go a week without hearing at least a song or two from the 1975 set.

I was listening to one of the Isis rehearsals recently and noticed something I never paid attention to before. At the end of the track, it goes into an excerpt of another recording, with Dylan taking the song at a very slow pace, and quickly giving up because it would "take hours" to get through.

Percy Song likes this.
  19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

...and I guess this is why the curated sets, rather than the complete-style sets, can be attractive.

20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Comments like that might be heard and result in most fans being cheated.
    "Curated" is only for 1-disc and 2-disc cut-downs for casual listeners and lightweights.
    Dylan fans want big comprehensive sets so we can do our own "curating."

I listen to complete concerts in chronological order. Regularly.
    I wallow in the acoustic sets. Beginning to end I revel in them one after another.
    My only complaint is that the acoustic sets aren't longer.
    Much, much longer.
    I can't wait to ride the roller coaster of the electric band so wildly out control
    it seems like its going to crash and burn yet always recovers to round one more
    curve and pick up more speed. Night after night the highs and lows and curves
    are in different places even though it's the same setlist.

I relish the evolution in the performances, the up and down and give and take
    in energy from song to song and from night to night, the endlessly inventive
    phrasing and inflection, the variation in emphasis and interaction of voice with
    guitar especially when the harmonica picks up where the voice left off to stretch
    the inspiration to infinity.

Curated sets. Give me a break. This is Bob Dylan we're talking about.

21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Indeed!

fishcane likes this.
  22. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Heard by who? Are you seriously suggesting single comments posted here might influence the format of future releases? Loose lips sink Dylan ships?

You mean you like big comprehensive sets. There are (I guess) plenty of fans (myself included) who have never made it through the 1966 1975 or Cutting Edge sets. I'll take curated.

23. BigBadWolf

There's a case to be made for both comprehensive and curated. I think those in charge of handling the Bootleg Series and these sets have done a good job giving people an option. You don't want all 14 discs of RTR? That's ok, BS 5 has the best tracks curated for you. BS 4 wasn't enough to satisfy you for the '66 tour? How about 36 discs with all the recordings we can find. Now, for me, I have both the full sets and the BS, with the smaller set ripped and synced to my walkman for the car.

cmcintyre, goer, notesfrom and 6 others like this.
  24. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

The comprehensiver the better.

Richard--W likes this.
  25. Mark87

Mark87 Forum Resident

Bigger the better in my opinion, if I never get round to listening to them all at least I know I have them for when I do :)