Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Is there a website that has a track by track of the musicians
    I want to copy them into iTunes

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

It's also possible that there is an implicit "he". Jokerman [he] dance to the nightingale tune. The tense matches the next phrase too "bird fly high by the light of the moon." The bird might be the nightingale!

Or there could be an implicit "I". Jokerman, [ I ] dance ... bird, [ I ] fly ...

Another possibility is that the tense is varied because it sounds better than "dances" or "dancing".

Dylan has said (though he may be joking) that the song is related to Caribbean jumbees. I wonder if "Jokerman dance" and "bird fly" is a touch of Caribbean English?

It doesn't feel to me like an instruction such as "cast your bread on the waters".

Tim

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Zeki and chervokas like this.
  3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Was Heylin's not lavish enough for you?

Themigou likes this.
  4. Percy Song

Zeki likes this.
  5. Roger Ford

Roger Ford Senior Member

This harks back to Dylan's previous use of Tarot imagery, particularly on Street Legal. The Fool (which became the Joker in the modern card deck) is often pictured with a small dog at his feet:
    [​IMG]

6. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That's it. It's about price. No reason the box couldn't have been 40% less expensive based on the quantity of content. Also less lavish packaging. I'd be fine with that. These these are a big pain in the butt to store, and personally I haven't even had time to so much as open the book and glance at it. I could be perfectly happy paying a lot less for a much less lavish box and binding.

Blue Note, Doggiedogma and Themigou like this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

That's interesting. Maybe it does -- though in the master the Jokerman is half asleep beneath the stars with the small dog licking his face. But the Jokerman does seem to be a fool, especially in that verse -- drunkenly standing in traffic trying direct it. Dylan seemed to have dropped the kind of heretical tarot stuff like a rock when he got religion and Jokerman is such a heavily biblical song, but the Jokerman is a jokerman.

Zeki likes this.
  8. They wouldn’t be happy getting 40% less money.I agree with everything you are saying but a lot of artists and labels are really pushing prices of archival releases up to see what the market will bear.I fear there is further to go.

MrSka57 and Themigou like this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, right, which is why a lot of people feel a chagrined by that element of the release.

Alan57 and Themigou like this.
  10. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

Percy Song likes this.
  11. Percy Song

It's traditional that Bootleg Series liner notes are incorrect. It keeps us on our toes. :)

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Second time through the 5 discs . . . .

I am struck with how poignant and dare I say topical the words to "Clean Cut Kid" are.

And honestly Bob should record and release a similarly arranged "Lord Protect My Child"--I think it would be a surprising success. And don't laugh--I think Blake Shelton should record and release a sincere version as a single--I think it would be a shocker.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Tom Campbell likes this.
  13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Is it a mistake, though? Or does Mick Taylor not play on take 5?

Here is the back cover of the “Blind Willie McTell” 7” single, which lists Taylor as present on take 1, but lists Knopfler as the sole guitarist on take 5:

[​IMG]

Percy Song and Themigou like this.
  14. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Which one? I gave up reading Heylin after he declared Modern Times superior to L&T.

Sean Murdock and Percy Song like this.
  15. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I think it’s a mistake - I can’t hear Knopfler.

stepeanut likes this.
  16. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

What struck me about 'Clean Cut Kid' was that any box set that finds room for two versions of that song, is in real trouble.

tms766, Doggiedogma and DTK like this.
  17. Roger Ford

Roger Ford Senior Member

I'm sure it's Taylor on both Take 1 and Take 5 - his slide guitar style is unmistakeable. I can't hear Knopfler on either take.
    True enough, though in this particular case the BS16 liner notes get it right by crediting Taylor for guitar on Take 5, not Knopfler. It's just the single that has it wrong.

18. Percy Song

Mick is definitely on Take 5.

yardbuzzard and stepeanut like this.
  19. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I haven’t seen it. Thanks for the tip.

20. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Thanks for that, Roger. I was kind of playing devil’s advocate there. I’m sitting here with the 5CD, the 2LP, and the 4LP sets all within spitting distance, but it’s been a hell of a day and I just couldn’t be bothered going through the booklets, or listening to the tracks again, to double-check. Not when Richard Osman’s House of Games is on.

Markab likes this.
  21. Percy Song

The book is called "Judas" and only has a few errors.

Was it Modern Times or Time Out Of Mind he was talking about?

22. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

This is from memory but it was MT. I don’t know if he was particularly keen on TOOM either. I just read a review of Judas that notes a mention of what Bob had to eat on a specific date in Australia and wonder if it’s a similar case of facts over substance that I’m familiar with.

Percy Song likes this.
  23. Percy Song

And the website.

24. Percy Song

I don't recall that passage in the book. Although, when asked in Australia what his songs were about, he did say "Clocks and watermelons."

Themigou likes this.
  25. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Yes, and parrots - we know this already.

Percy Song likes this.