Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. bobfan

bobfan Forum Resident

'Senor' from the rehearsal disc sounds great, and really got my hopes up, then the rest just sound like rehearsals. These could have been part of Trouble No More, and why not concert versions from the 'Fall '80 tour anyway? 'Sweet Caroline' is awful, and I never want to hear it again. Most surprising standout for me was 'I Wish It Would Rain', Dylan managing to channel some of the exuberance of the '81 live performances in the studio, and who would have thought he had a falsetto in him? I still think songs like, 'Union Sundown', 'Clean Cut Kid', and 'Neighbourhood Bully', are just not good examples of songwriting, and no amount of remixing is going to change that, so how two of those made the cut for Infidels while 'Foot of Pride', Blind Willlie McTell', and Someone's Got A Hold of My Heart' didn't, Bob only knows. 'Too Late' is interesting but it isn't really a song; it's a half formed tune, with half written lyrics. It's interesting to listen to, but it isn't going to supersede the finished 'Foot of Pride'. I don't think the set is going to radically change the perception of the eighties, mainly because most fans already knew Shot of Love and Infidels could have been much stronger albums anyway.
    There's a conceit that every period of Dylan's career can be salvaged but Empire Burlesque is beyond saving for me, regardless of production, the songs just aren't there, and Dylan's voice has veered off into helium territory. Always happy to get a new box set, but this one could have been much better; chuck in a whole '84 gig, or at least the strong performances that didn't make the cut for Real Live, why only one tune from Letterman '84?

2. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Why would I delete ripped files of a CD that I own? On what principle?

piepants and warewolf95 like this.
  3. keyse1

keyse1 Forum Resident

Percy Song likes this.
  4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That was only a half serious remark considering the possibility that some may rip a CD set and return the box for refund. Personally I have no problem either way.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

Ah ok, I see what you mean. But to clarify, I would've sent it back in exchange for a new copy, not a refund. Regardless, I'm just going to hold on to it as is (I'm sure everybody was waiting on my decision with bated breath).

Themigou likes this.
  6. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Thanks for the update.

Jackstraw78 likes this.
  7. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Really? My one came with a full sheet with a download code for "The Complete Infidels Sessions" printed on the bottom.

Nah, all the recent Vault releases have that 'torn sheet' insert.

8. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Was in the local shop Friday - Dylan $125, George Harrison $130, Deja Vu $90, Armed Forces LP set $190 ....
    Big Sundazed fan but their latest uber-obscure releases are $15-16 and the digipaks are so thin its hard to believe there's
    actually a CD in there. The Dylan/Harrison sets should be under $100 and the Sundazeds should be in jewel cases
    for that price. I'd like to hear the rationale for the prices but I'm voting with my wallet in any case.

Alan57 and Themigou like this.
  9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Started listening to the box with disc 4 yesterday. Meant to start with disc 5, but so be it. Some thoughts below.

• "Clean Cut Kid": 1983 version much less interesting than the master take from 1985.
    • "Sweetheart": tom toms slightly less prominent, which is nice.
    • "Julius and Ethel": this is a hoot. I started smiling halfway into the song. Puts a certain narrative about Bob's 1983 political beliefs to rest. Shows that he isn't beholden to any one person for what he believes. Love the uptempo rhythm and endless repetition of the chorus.
    • "Union Sundown": piano high in the mix adds a lot of rhythmic color. The lyrics about home gardens sounds even more intense than the master vocal lyrics. Just like "J and E", found myself enjoying this a lot.
    • "I and I": faster tempo works much better here than the slower master tempo.
    • "Death is not the End": don't own Down in the Groove so hadn't heard it before. Was impressed by the song and the performance. Made me wonder why Dylan didn't add even more 1983 outtakes and unused tracks for an album that so many critics panned.

10. My vinyl copy of the two-record set is being returned to Amazon. There were scratches at the end of side C and then some less egregious scratches on side D. They created an annoying tick sound. On the other hand, my Third Man Records box sounds terrific.

11. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Third Man vinyl box arrived today, so I can finally dig into the rest of the set. Already impressed with the Third Man - clean, flat, centered vinyl in poly-lined sleeves - and for less cost per record than the 2LP set. I hope Dylan's camp is taking notes...

I was a little wary going into the rehearsal disc with all the trash talking going on in this thread... and found the complaints pretty unmerited IMHO. Loved the **** out of it. Who wouldn't want to hang with Bob for a set of passionately performing rare originals and unusual covers with an absolutely killer band? This isn't a "once and file" listen for me anymore than the outer reaches of the Basement Tapes or the weird stuff he would blow off steam with during the Self-Portrait / New Morning sessions. I think it gives total context to where Bob's head was at musically, songs he was curious about and interested in, and the way his influences crossed paths to help create an environment fertile enough to inform his own writing - even if you can't draw a direct connections between songs - its part of the process, part of the alchemy, part of the fun.

12. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Finding I'm enjoying this more if I play one or two discs at a time rather than listen to the whole thing (where it wears a bit thin).

quicksrt, Themigou and Doggiedogma like this.
  13. porter_esq

porter_esq Forum Resident

Digging into the beautiful Third Man set that just arrived when I had a notion. Today, Jack White is older than Dylan was during these sessions.

14. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I like the rehearsals a lot, especially the covers. I like everything on the box. I don’t think it all works together in one place but there’s nothing I dislike, apart from perhaps Yes Sir, No Sir. I wonder if we’ll ever get a Musical Retrospective box and if so, whether or not the rehearsals will be repeated. The shows were so good. I can see TOOM, Street Legal or Folky Bob appearing before then but after SINY, it could be anything. Desire / Street Legal outtakes beginning with rehearsals for Tour ‘74? David Bromberg sessions beginning with a newly unearthed Self Portrait outtake plus a disc of NET folk covers? The Complete Handy Dandy session spread over 6 discs?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  15. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I wish It Would Rain is a highlight and should have been on the 2 disc.

16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Yes, but where is Kazakhstan in all this? :)

stepeanut likes this.
  17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

And the answer isn’t ….

Percy Song likes this.
  18. Walking Antique

Walking Antique Nothing is incomprehensible

Here's a thought about why all of Letterman wasn't included: Dylan's original "Enough Is Enough" sounds an awful lot like his cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Don't Start Me Talkin'" which would have been next in the tracklist.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  19. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

probably saving the Letterman for a future video comp

20. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Chronologically, Enough is Enough should come after Letterman. It doesn’t explain leaving off the Letterman Jokerman though, although the sound quality of License To Kill is disappointing. My thoughts would be either have all of Letterman in excellent sound or none of it. Not including a disc of live 1984 highlights seems like a missed opportunity here.

Floater likes this.
  21. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Interesting that the 2 disc edition has none of the 16 covers on the deluxe box, many of which are highlights that I would have put on the 2 disc:

I Wish It Would Rain - love the falsetto
    Jesus Met The Woman At The Well - it rocks. Bob on 'lead guitar'?
    Mystery Train - also rocks
    Abraham, Martin & John - a great duet
    We Just Disagree - a light song but is beautiful nonetheless
    Sweet Caroline - if only to aggravate those who hate it (I don't)
    Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground - a beautiful version

Honorary mention: Blind Willie McTell from the Thin Man 7" :agree:

picassoson, Markab and streetlegal like this.
  22. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

... vowel movement.

stepeanut likes this.
  23. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yeah, that's probably my favourite track overall. Great vocal. Really surprised it wasn't on the 2CD edition.

Bob's brief falsetto immediately reminded me of his falsetto on Come All Ye Fair And Tender Ladies on the Basement Tapes (though the latter wasn't an entirely serious vocal). I'm pretty sure he also does falsetto on Mystery Train (on the 'woo-woo's with Clydie).

Markab, warewolf95 and DeeThomaz like this.
  24. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Got the 5CD box today, but I will wait until saturday before listening. Want to hear it all in one sitting.

25. And Under The Red Sky superior to both Oh Mercy and Time Out Of Mind. Okay. :rolleyes:

Themigou likes this.