Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I listed my 6 disc sets of Cutting Edge and Basement Tapes here in the summer, but got no takers. I wasn't willing to drop to a silly price to shift them, so just ended the sale. I don't think these are as sought after as people seem to think when they list them for silly money.

I enjoy the 8 CD+ DVD set of Trouble No More as they have divided up the discs reasonably well. Effectively four sets of two discs and each set of two makes a decent listening experience with little repetition.

quicksrt, Bonddm and Jackstraw78 like this.
  2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I agree but I figured the 2 LP might be a decent introduction to this era.

Jackstraw78 likes this.
  3. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Was given the 2lp set as a gift. Nice set but both my records are a bit warped. Is that a common problem with these? I could run the gauntlet and try swap them but live with them as they are too I guess.

4. piepants

piepants Forum Resident

Both of my records for the 2LP set are slightly warped, but not enough to cause any issues.

theMot likes this.
  5. theMot

theMot Forum Resident

Thanks. I ended up getting a replacement and the second set was better. Still a slight edge warp but not as bad as the first.

6. MrCJF

Incidentally the 6 CD sets are now on ebay (link in the third party auction form here) and not attracting any interest there either. Has Sony been overestimating the market for these big boxes? The price of them certainly puts me off.

7. Arie

Arie Forum Resident

I told myself to wait with buying "Springtime In New York", 5cd version, untill it dropped to less than 100. I'm talking Euro's here.
    That was a first for me, though no completist (I reserve that for Richard Thompson), I always buy the next deluxe Bootleg Series cd version straightaway, superdeluxe "Cutting Edge" excepted.
    But €130 - €140 was too steep.
    Real fans of Bob Dylan, unlike me, bought the deluxe at premium. Nobody, missing the opportunity, needed to go to Ebay or Discogs for it and pay even more.

A couple of weeks ago I was tempted when it was 114, soon after that 108. I persisted.
    Last week it was 83, might have been because of BF, which I dislike.
    Nobody needs to tell me that it wasn't very principled of me, but I bought it.
    Vriendelijke groeten
    Arie

8. MrCJF

I saw it for a similar price on BF, but still didn't bite. Honestly - I have the 2CD sitting unopened on my ever growing pile of discs that I haven't listened to yet. There's so much stuff in the pile that appeals more than this set. I did get the Infidels blu spec CD at the same time as this set, and have listened to that a couple of times.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

That's what Jeff Rosen told Peter Stone Brown.

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

LOL. Where to begin? In summary, I would say Tell Tale Signs contains lots of great material, but a lot of superfluous tracks too, particularly the live ones; it also omits a lot of great stuff we know they have in the vaults. It's a mish mash. I love it, but it's deeply flawed.

EDIT:

Yes, that too.

11. olsen

olsen Senior Member

I was at a Clash show at the Hollywood Palladium (promoting 'London Calling') in.. 1982? Somehow my gf and I wangled ourselves up into the VIP balcony area, where we found an empty table right along the edge. We sat for five minutes before a young lady came up and nudged us: "Excuse me, this table is reserved for one of our artists". We stood up out of our chairs, and Bob Dylan sat down.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Dylan has more fans than any other artist that think they could manage his life and his work far better than he himself.

Gonzo-a-gogo, Tom Campbell and moops like this.
  13. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

The job of anyone managing an artist's career is not to "have fans." Even the best managers don't really have fans. So your argument is about like this: [​IMG]

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I would start with the actual studio release of Infidels, supplemented by the versions of "Blind Willie McTell" and "Foot of Pride" that were released in the first Bootleg box set (vol. 1-3). As far as I know, the original track lineup for the album included those two tracks and did not include "Union Sundown". I am sure they are available on streaming services. I think it's an important starting point because, many felt at the time that those two tracks represented his best work of the decade. I have always felt that with the original tracklisting, Infidels would be regarded as one of Dylan's best albums.

I would then explore the bootleg material. Empire Burlesque is less important as a starting point for appreciating the material in the Bootleg series, or at least that's my view.

15. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

everyone knows dylanologic dylanists are impossible to please. it is what it is.

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. This seems like a rabbit hole (a good one), including all the other Bootleg Series. I've only explored the BOTT one that I bought last year.

This one is currently down to $26 on Amazon.

~dave~~wave~ and j4yheindeo like this.
  17. MrCJF

That's just because he has more fans than most other artists, and has done more more work than most other artists.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  18. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

20. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Again, so many people think that they should run Dylan's life and work, and that they would do it so much better than he himself.

It isn't an argument. You can see it in countless posts on countless threads in this forum, and in books and all media.

21. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

True. I'm not arguing that. You can find armchair quarterbacking in every facet of human existence from music to sports to politics, etc. What I was commenting on was that you seemed to be arguing the red herring fallacy that having more fans somehow made you more qualified as a businessperson, which is certainly not the case.

redsock likes this.
  22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I did not suggest that at all.

Dylan manages his life exceedingly well. The proof is in his accomplishments (not his money).

But there are countless performers with many more fans than Dylan has, so I really could not suggest that anyway.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

The original track selection for "Infidels" also has different mixes and some different vocals and lyrics. An interesting alternative to the regular version.

I would add the Special Rider publishing tape of "Empire Burlesque" (including the rough mix of the album before Arthur Baker's overdubs and remixes) to the list of essential, must-hear works from that era. It's a great album. "Springtime In New York" only includes one track from that version of the album (Tight Connection).

24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Would love to know more of this Special Rider tape - is this an ROIO? Google is giving me nothing - Discogs has the label but I don't see the tape you are referring to. Would absolutely love to hear this (if I knew, ahem, what way to look....)

CBackley likes this.
  25. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Is this the same version as on Tempest Storm/Naked Empire boots or something different?

warewolf95 likes this.