Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I don't think I listened to Saved even once after I discovered bootlegs.
    Slow Train Coming? Maybe once or twice.
    Shot of Love? Never - largely because I love my extended Shot of Love playlist so much more.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. Travelin Man

Travelin Man Forum Resident

Are the takes of “Blind Willie McTell” from the 45 available to purchase anywhere on CD/digitally?

Themigou likes this.
  3. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Take 5 is on BS 16. Take 1 is only officially available on that 7”, which is easy to find on eBay for around £12. I’ve had 3 copies of it and one was not a great pressing - it was wavy and played a bit wobbly. The other two were fine. There are also decent needle drops of it around but not officially for sale. The original version of Take 5 - which many prefer - is on boots like Rough Cuts but again, not officially for sale.

warewolf95 and Travelin Man like this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Did they rework take 5 for the official release? I recall Bob cracking up at the start on the bootleg version.

5. They are all pretty good albums, IMO. Even Saved. The live versions are often better, but the album versions are all OK. Slow Train Coming is IMO a really great album. I love it. Shot of Love is a good listen and the last song is - in that particular version - one of Dylan’s masterpieces.

Regandron, SPARTACUS, Floater and 2 others like this.
  6. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Yes, his cough is covered up. But the track is also in a pretty dry mix in comparison with the bootleg take with Mick Taylor's guitar volume going up and down in a way that jars a bit if you're familiar with the bootleg. It also fades out at about the point the bootleg version begins it's 20 second fade. Personally, I don't mind it but I still prefer the Rough Cuts version because I prefer the wide open 80s feel. The other two Rough Cuts tracks I prefer to the versions on BS 16 are Jokerman and Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart; all the original mixes are more spacious and more thoughtfully done. On BS 16, the guitars on Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart have this awful fuzz added that totally ruins the feel of the track for me - the original mix is brilliant, why change it..!

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks a lot.

8. Travelin Man

Ah, that's right, thank you. I have the 5-disk bootleg series and the 7". My original plan was to do my own needle drop of Take 1, so it looks like that's what I'll do!

D o you know which take is included on The Bootleg Series Volumes 1-3?

Themigou likes this.
  9. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Isn’t it now known that Mark Knopfler is playing lead guitar on Take 5 of Blind Willie McTell? We know that’s what the credits say, and they say that MT is playing on Take 1. I can’t recall where but I also read Knopfler discussing how he developed a Mick Taylor-esque guitar style to use, partially out of feeling competing with Taylor. The new mix of Take 5 makes the guitar sound more Knopfler like IMO.

Themigou likes this.
  10. That seems to be a little unclear.

11. It’s supposed to be the third version from May 5, 1983. The other officially released versions were recorded on April 11, 1983.

Travelin Man likes this.
  12. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

I will forever see your avatar as David Gower!
    I just can't get past it. :)

Studio_Two and Regandron like this.
  13. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I forgot about that. If it is MK, he’s doing a very good MT indeed.

TeddyB likes this.
  14. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Take 5 was one of the tracks I most anticipated having an official release of since buying a tape of Infidels outtakes in about 1986. I always assumed that was the best band performance of the song but for me, Take 1 currently has the edge. It definitely should have been on BS 16.

Travelin Man and TeddyB like this.
  15. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

As @SolitaryMan says, it's unclear. According to Olaf's site, there were 20 takes attempted with 4 complete on April 11, 2 complete takes on April 18 and another 2 complete on the fifth day of May. Counting incomplete takes and false starts, the BS 1-3 version looks to be Take 19, the seventh of eight complete takes. There are some typos on the page though - perhaps someone else has more concrete info than me. Reading the Infidels session logs does make you anticipate 2033 and that year's Copyright Collection with several complete - and still unreleased - takes of BWM, Jokerman, I & I and enough complete alternates of Foot of Pride AND Too late to have it's own BS volume.

Travelin Man likes this.
  16. dee

dee Senior Member

Its like they tried to cram 2 sets of material into 1 and failed :p

At the very least imo it made the set more confusing or more haphazard imo than need be. Focus, focus, focus, like with BOTT and TOOM has been one of the strengths of these sets, imo.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maybe the CDs were not all filled up with 79 minutes of music, but this thread, like many Dylan threads, makes up for that by being filled up with gripes and complaints.

Almost four years of complaining!

18. Travelin Man

I’ll listen again, but I’m pretty sure I hear Taylor’s inimitable vibrato.

Themigou likes this.
  19. Travelin Man

I hear what is probably Knopfler on the Volumes 1-3 version.

If they did, I wonder why they switched? Maybe Taylor got bored! :laugh:

UPDATE - earlier in this thread Roger Ford posted: I'm sure it's Taylor on both Take 1 and Take 5 - his slide guitar style is unmistakeable. I can't hear Knopfler on either take.

True enough, though in this particular case the BS16 liner notes get it right by crediting Taylor for guitar on Take 5, not Knopfler. It's just the single that has it wrong.

I have to agree

Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    TeddyB, Themigou and warewolf95 like this.
  20. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Is there an ‘everything is great as it is’ thread? Maybe try that?

21. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

Since Trouble No More has 2–4 concerts, depending on your interpretation (important songs live compilation 79-81, San Diego 79, Toronto 80, Avignon 81), the ideal project allocation imo would’ve been

Trouble No More, 1979-80, stops chronologically with Saved and the Toronto shows

A Musical Retrospective, 1980-81, all Shot of Love material from TNM and Springtime combined, more late 1980 live stuff, more from New Orleans 81

Springtime in NY, 1983-85, exclusively covering Infidels and its Empire Burlesque epilogue, includes all Letterman songs, Farm Aid, and a full 1984 show to supplant Real Live

in my playlists, it lives. but it deserved as many Caribbean Winds as Fragments had Mississippis.

rihajarvi, The Bard and Themigou like this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You got the version with Avignon '81? You can probably flip that on ebay for big bucks. :)

23. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

this is what happens when you’re too lazy to doublecheck the Wikipedia :cry:

24. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

My playlist of the deluxe set has San Diego '79 in place of discs 3 and 4 and the soundchecks, rehearsals and extra live tracks as disc 9. That gives you two discs of highlights followed by shows from '79, '80 and '81 and a disc of tour related extras (I know Toronto is a comp but it acts like a show). I agree ending TNM with Toronto makes more sense but discs 1 and 2 already have 11 later tracks so that doesn't really work. The Slow Train Coming and Saved studio outtakes and album rehearsals I've moved to those albums and all the late 1980 and Shot Of Love material to my SOL version of SINY, which has no live material. Again, it's imperfect but it just works better for me. I find the 2-disc TNM a more effective sequence as it doesn't try to incorporate studio recordings and is a little bit of all the live shows (including A Musical Retrospective). It's a great compilation and one of the best 2-disc Bootleg Series releases.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2023
    NewWarden and NumberEight like this.
  25. JayB

JayB Senior Member

If it's at all possible do you have a copy of your playlist you could post? No worries if not!

Themigou likes this.