Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Future plans for the Bootleg Series are unclear, but a Time Out of Mind set and one that chronicles Dylan’s pre-fame folk period in Minnesota and New York are both in contention. “We’ve collected all these early tapes of him like the Minnesota Hotel Tapes and all the tapes that Tony Glover recorded,” says the source. “We have all these things in beautiful quality along with the Town Hall concert [in 1963] and the Carnegie Hall concert [in 1963]. Some day we’ll put these all together and put them out, but it’s not like people are clamoring for it. There are probably a few other areas to explore before that.”

There are no immediate plans to end the Bootleg Series, but the steep decline in the market for physical product does put its future in some jeopardy. “We have to also see how long people keep buying these things,” says the source. “We’ll see what happens. Right now, there’s a certain amount of physical that still gets sold, so we’d like to keep doing them.”

Bob Dylan’s Bootleg Series to Tackle 1969 Johnny Cash Sessions

2. DeeThomaz

Not much news compared to the summer update, but looks like they have plans for Town Hall & Carnegie Hall ‘63 too, quite possibly as part of The Villager (potentially expanding its scope further than we’d previously known).

SteveFff, rihajarvi and Richard--W like this.
  3. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

At least there seems to be a slight change in attitude by the 'source' regarding the continuation of the series. But I do feel that there are more than a few people that want to hear 'early Bob', so this comment is slightly misguided.

4. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

he also says that they'll probably put out some other things before the early years set and if the last article is to be believed, they are waiting for the Time Out Of Mind 25th anniversary in 2022 to release that one. that frees up 1-2 years to do literally anything else: that 80s Shot Of Love-Infidels set they mentioned could be great, a stray tracks set would be nice but not much "bootleg" stuff there, right? they also mentioned an Infidels and Empire Burlesque set.

Cracklebarrel, Marty T, JRM and 3 others like this.
  5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Indeed, they did at least give a bit more information about what tapes they have. No mention of the Karen Wallace tape though.

I personally feel they could separate the live recordings from the studio / home recordings. The live recordings should be put into the Live Recordings series.

6. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

How many more times are they going to tease the Time out of Mind set? Just get the damn thing out there, it's clear the camp knows there's a wealth of material that could fill a set.

7. DeeThomaz

The “all the tapes that Tony Glover recorded” comment opens the tantalizing possibility of the ‘63 home tape with the mysterious original “Liverpool Gal” finally seeing the light of day.

8. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

There's so much more out there... The 'Infidels' sessions, with the original Mark Knopfler production still in the can. The Australian tour with Petty/Heartbreakers. I buy every one of these that come out.

bluerondo, Marty T, NOE and 13 others like this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

Especially if those early tapes as described sound "in beautiful quality"...

DeeThomaz, Paul W and RockRoom like this.
  10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I thought Tony Glover only recorded 1 tape. Am I wrong?

11. dee

dee Senior Member

FWIW I'd like to hear more 80's stuff too including some kind of remixed revisit to Empire Burlesque. Combining materials from the sessions of Infidels/Empire Burlesque/Knocked Out Loaded and more would be most welcome to me...

12. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

In the last R
    In that last Rolling Stone article, the source also mentioned that "there’s a lot of movie tracks, one-off tracks and things like that are hard to find." It'd be neat if they did a "Dylan Goes To The Movies" Bootleg Series that gathered up all of the Dylan tracks that were included in film soundtracks. They could include alternate versions of Knockin On Heaven's Door, finally get tracks like Band Of The Hand and the full studio version of You Belong To Me onto a Dylan compilation (annoyingly, the Natural Born Killers soundtrack version has film dialogue overdubbed onto the song's outro.) I'm sure there are many others too...

13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

They could also throw a curve ball and compile a career spanning dvd/ blu ray set.

14. Richard--W

That'll be the day. Dylan has thus far suppressed most video attempts
    and opportunities.

BS 15 Travelin' Thru is a lightweight sampler of what should have been
    a heavy-weight comprehensive history. I'll be glad to get the 7 tracks
    from John Wesley Hardin but the rest is a disappointment that gets
    worse the longer I think about it.

15. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

A Time Out Of Mind set next would be great!

Tourswede, longdist01, Stan94 and 6 others like this.
  16. Richard--W

If Jeff Rosen really believes what he says he should advance full speed
    ahead into releasing the studio and live recordings from 1958 through
    1965 on hard media. Comprehensive box-sets in tandem with 1-CD and
    2-CD cut-downs for the toe-dippers. That should be his priority.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    talkingleaf and warewolf95 like this.
  17. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I have a bad feeling we are getting heavily 'curated' sets from now on.

rod, warewolf95 and Richard--W like this.
  18. Richard--W

The Rolling Thunder box and the new Cash box seem to indicate
    that's the case, and it's really sad for Dylan's legacy and those of
    us who are serious fans.

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

And here we are.

Justin Brooks and Six Bachelors like this.
  20. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

As one of his goofier fans, I prefer the curate approach!

21. DeeThomaz

It seems there’s more.

He definitely recorded the Dec ‘61 home tape (the MN Hotel Tape that “The Source” mentioned) and I believe he also recorded the May ‘61 tape as well (The MN Party Tape). To the best of my knowledge, he didn’t record any of the earlier ‘60 tapes such as The Hugh Brown Apartment Tape but thanks to “Rambler, Gambler” on BS7 we know the Dylan office has major upgrade of that tape as well.

I also believe he recorded the later Dave Whitaker Home Tapes, not all of which circulate. The one I’m most interested in is the July 17th 1963 one. Here’s Olaf’s entry on it:

The Home Of Dave Whitaker
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    17 July 1963

1. Only A Pawn In Their Game
    2. With God On Our Side
    3. Girl From The North Country
    4. Boots Of Spanish Leather
    5. Eternal Circle
    6. Who Killed Davey Moore?
    7. Instrumental Jam
    8. What Did The Deep Sea Say? (Woody Guthrie)
    9. Hero Blues
    10. Liverpool Gal
    11. West Memphis (?)
    12. Death Letter Blues (Huddie Ledbetter)
    13. Only A Pawn In Their Game
    14. Bob Dylan's New Orleans Rag
    15. Ballad Of Hollis Brown
    16. With God On Our Side
    17. Tomorrow Is A Long Time

And here’s Heylin on “Liverpool Gal” and some background on the tape:

102} LIVERPOOL GAL
    Published lyrics: In His Own Words 2.
    Nothing was known of this intriguing song until the late eighties, when it appeared in manuscript form as part of the so-called Margolis and Moss papers. Given that the majority of these papers, mostly typescripts of poems and an unfinished play, date from the fall of 1963, it was presumed that the song also came from this period, when Dylan was taking a break from songwriting. It subsequently came out that the song featured on the last of the Tony Glover "home tapes," recorded the previous July on another of Dylan’s trips home, putting its composition back to a period when the ink still poured out of his pen. It probably dates from a trip to Woodstock in May, a time when according to Suze, "songs . . . were coming out of him rapid fire." (There is a Woodstock connection to all of the Margolis and Moss material.)
    Though the July tape remains solely in Glover’s possession, the inclusion of the song on a tape of originals played to impress old friends and one curmudgeonly critic (Paul Nelson) barely three weeks before he began work on his third album makes it all the more surprising that he made no attempt to record the song for Columbia. Nor did he copyright it with Witmark, the company for which he continued to cut demos. Maybe the song was already old hat and was played for a specific reason (and person) that July evening. Nelson, who had just given Dylan’s second album a lukewarm review in Little Sandy Review #27, was giving the songwriter a hard time about the topical songs he was then writing, so this performance could have been a palliative to Nelson’s bruised sensibilities; what with him being steeped in the genuinely traditional. Nelson would definitely have recognized the template to which Dylan set his tale, "When First Unto This Country," a stalwart of many a revivalist repertoire, and a song Dylan performed in both electric and acoustic guises at the start of the Never Ending Tour in 1989 and 1991.

Originally about the son of a poor immigrant, Dylan inverts the folk song’s vantage point, making the singer a traveler who’d gone to "London town" but cannot help "thinkin’ about / the land I left back home." This depiction of someone who "walked the streets so silently" and "did not know no one" may well reflect his own feeling on arriving in the great city, the previous December. The verse where he describes the winter weather also has the ring of authentic experience: "I gazed all up at her window, where the stormy snowflakes blowed / I put my hands deep in my pockets, and I walked on down the road."
    One ineluctable question the song raises is whether there really was a "Liverpool gal / who lived in London town," with whom the singer spent the night, only to feel the following morning, "Of her love I know not much." Its belated, solitary appearance suggests a song that gestated for some time. And its appearance among papers assembled after the completion of Times . . . presumably means it was a song he had not quite resolved to forget. At least he ended up saving the idea for "I Don’t Believe You.”

Excerpt From
    Revolution in the Air
    Clinton Heylin
    ‎Revolution in the Air
    This material may be protected by copyright.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  22. BourbonAndVinyl

BourbonAndVinyl Forum Resident

Totally agree... I'd like to hear if there was any gold to be found even in the 'Down In the Groove' sessions too...

pcox80, dee and DeeThomaz like this.
  23. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

There are only two potential BS releases I'm interested in: (1) Live 1965 (especially the early electric concerts), (2) the Infidels sessions. Neither of them seems to be on the radar at present. Instead we get this lightweight country-style noodling. This is not for me, though I'm sure someone will be happy.

Wordnat2 and mark winstanley like this.
  24. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

i wouldn't tune out just yet. they've mentioned an Infidels release a couple of times and with TOOM and Villager seemingly in the works but not next, you never know!

The MEZ and DeeThomaz like this.
  25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

It’s ‘Time Out Of Mind’.