Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

1984 27 times
    1994 104 times
    1995 15 times
    1996 8 times
    1997 1 time
    1998 1 time
    2003 3 times

Vol 1-3 was concepted and released as 5 LP set.
    1990/91 still most of us bought Vinyl and only randomly CDs (If you already had a CD player. Cds were also very expensive. you could get 2-3 Vinyls instead of one CD)
    Although they released the CD set at the same time, the CDS 1-3 were also released in the big Vinyl Box (Same with Biosgraph). IMO 1-3, an specially Biograph only work as Vinyls sets.

Vol. 4-10 were all planned as 2 CDsets
    4,6 are Live shows from one date (Not more aviable)
    9 All Witmark + Leeds Demos. No more material

Vol. 11 -12, 15 were Copyright Protection releases. 14 too but they decided to release the material earlier

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    DmitriKaramazov, The MEZ and asdf35 like this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I actually like the five-CD version based on the track listing. It's organized for listening with each disk covering a particular chunk of music from a particular time and not mixing the stuff up so if you want to hear X stuff it's half on the same disk with Y stuff and half on the same disk with Z stuff. Much better. I hate these box sets where stuff from different sessions is split across disks and mixed with stuff from other sessions. One of the things I really haven't liked about the Dylan bootleg series releases is what a jumble they are. I like this organization better.

3. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Amazon France charged me 3.10 euro postage. Also gave me 10 euro off for using the Amazon app to order, so just under £80 all in; can't imagine the UK site will get anywhere near that.

connorjake likes this.
  4. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

As someone who was buying LP's in the early '90's, this simply isn't true. The Bootleg Series, Vol 1-3 wasn't even originally released on LP in the US. (I believe that & World Gone Wrong are the only titles in the Dylan catalog to hold that distinction.) 1991-1993 were the true "dark days" of vinyl production, especially among the major labels. I do believe Biograph was conceived & sequenced for LP but The Bootleg Series, Vol 1-3 is most certainly a CD based set.

5. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

No LPs, but Cassette!!! :)
    [​IMG]

6. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Yes
    I was still only buying vinyl when 1-3 came out and the CD was one of the first I bought. I had to replace my vinyl Biograph after a few years as I played it so much (it also spent several weeks under the passenger seat of my friend’s car at college - something that is truly unthinkable now). I remember really enjoying the novelty of the 1-3 CDs and, in comparison to the vinyl, I thought the compact format better suited the archival release somehow. I still feel the same - maximum space for tracks in a compact box (although the vinyl Live 64, 66 and 75 are awesome). Btw, if 1-3 was meant to be a vinyl set, it would have been called 1-5.

7. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Is this Dylan on helium or chipmunks singing ?

bobcat likes this.
  8. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Alvin !!!!!!

timnor likes this.
  9. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Ding! Ding! Ding! There's the most obvious evidence (that I quite stupidly failed to mention). :cheers:

10. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

Sorry you are right.
    Vinyl was only released Europe only.

11. Maybe Someday is something of a tribute to Buddy Holly whose work it closely emulates.

12. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I couldn't agree more.

Willie McTell and CBackley like this.
  13. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Someone earlier on (apologies for forgetting who) suggested a RSD release for the tracks not on the vinyl sets, which is a great idea and in fact, RSD seems an ideal way to release some of this material, especially alternate versions of released albums such as The Basement Tape and BOTT test pressing (I nearly typed that as ‘teat pressing’, which doesn’t sound right). The Jokerman reggae 12” is nice, but imagine limited edition alternate Infidels, Empire Burlesque or Shot of Love LPs, not to mention a Letterman ‘84 EP on RSD :agree:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

It would be nice to offer the 4 songs left off vinyl , but I wouldn't bet on it happening. It would essentially be only for those who have the Vault edition + 2LP version which is a very small number of us. The 4 songs chosen to be left off were probably done so for a reason (in addition to running out of space) and doubt they would want to highlight them on a RSD release. Now, your other ideas I could see happening and hope they do- especially Letterman.

piepants likes this.
  15. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

to be honest, i really don't think anyone in charge is even thinking of the fact that four of the songs on the CD box set are not represented across the two vinyl editions. it's never gonna happen.

16. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

The Jokerman 12" runs at 33rpm, which was a nice surprise. A Letterman 12" could have the 3 performed songs on Side A and 3 rehearsal takes on Side B.

BobFan115 and matt79rome89 like this.
  17. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

The ImportCDs order mystery deepens.

ImportCDs have contacted me wondering why I did not complete the payment, PayPal say that the bank stopped the payment to an individual rather than a company and the bank deny having stopped any payment.

I have no idea what is going on here or what to do next. Hmm. Anyone else had any problems?

18. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

That's really weird. Maybe you should cancel, and then try to re-order. Do you have to use PayPal? I usually use PayPal Credit; I'm guessing you didn't use that?

dormouse likes this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

My order went through without issue, using PayPal.

dormouse likes this.
  20. shades

shades Forum Resident

A general Bootleg Series question for anyone who can answer...

I only got into Dylan earlier this year, so I missed out on the Bootleg Series as they were released. Do they ever get re-issued?
    I was able to pick up Vol 1-3, that one seems to have been reissued. And Rolling Thunder revue is available, I’m guessing due to the doc on Netflix.
    Any chance of Tell Tale Signs or others getting repressed?

21. They are nearly all still available.
    Presuming you mean cds as the vinyl releases are basically samplers in most cases.This Series is designed around CD.

onlyconnect likes this.
  22. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

Are you interested in vinyl or CD releases? The two you mentioned are, I believe, the only volumes re-released on vinyl. Original copies of the LP iterations are likely to set you back a pretty penny but CD copies of many (most?) of the Bootleg Series releases should be plentiful on the secondary market

23. No.It appears this is something unique to this particular order of yours.
    If I was you I would reply to their email,explain what has happened,ask them to cancel the order out of their system and contact you again to confirm this is done.
    Then reorder and surely the ghosts in the machine won’t mess with you again.You've got 7 weeks to sort this out and ImportCDs don’t play with their prices.
    Also try using a card instead of PayPal.FYI If you use PayPal ImportCDs take the money when you order.If you use a card they take it when the item ships.If you have multiple items in an order they take the relevant amount out when each individual item ships as they send each item as it becomes available rather than wait for the final item to be available and then ship everything together.This last feature is one of the main reasons they have become my go to.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    Willie McTell and dormouse like this.
  24. shades

shades Forum Resident

Thanks. I should have specified, I’m interested in vinyl. The larger box sets are sweet. And I prefer buying music that way. (I’ve been able to get a few sets by getting lucky on eBay. Tell Tale Signs has eluded me though)

PimentDouceur likes this.
  25. paidinblood

paidinblood Forum Resident

CD release was not concurrent with initial vinyl and cassette. It came weeks later. Booklet, liner notes and package all sized 12x12 to accompany vinyl.