Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Vol.16: Springtime In New York (1980–1985) (Content & Sound Quality)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 19, 2019.

1. paidinblood

paidinblood Forum Resident

My mistake: that was Biograph

IbMePdErRoIoAmL likes this.
  2. PimentDouceur

PimentDouceur Forum Resident

High key disagree, they left out these four so completists buy the 5cd.

My dream is also for 4,6,7,8 and 9 to be re-pressed. Was jumping up and down when they re pressed RTR and 1-3!!! They should do one a year at least :)

3. Sipuncula

Sipuncula Forum Resident

I'm in that same predicament. At this point, though, I am missing only the Halloween show 1964 and No Direction Home. I managed to pick up all the rest (some set me back some $$$). I have them all on CD (bought most of them when they came out) but they sat on the shelf, got one or two listens in the car or otherwise in the background, tossed aside. It was only last year that I truly (re)discovered both Dylan and vinyl. I still don't have much interest in listening to them on CD. A re-issue would indeed be great (but only of the two I don't have, lol). I've got plenty of his studio albums that need some quality time spent with them, so no great hurry. Overjoyed to see the 2 + 4 LP for BL16.

PimentDouceur, SPARTACUS and Mrsharko like this.
  4. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

I read somewhere that Springtime in New York will not include previously released alternate takes from past Bootleg Series. Was the curator merely referring to the 2-disc edition, or the 5-disc edition as well?

dee likes this.
  5. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Both.

6. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

The bank is probably just concerned that you haven't ordered the 4 LP set yet.

knob twirler, CBackley and dormouse like this.
  7. dormouse

dormouse Forum Resident

These things are quite strange. Three different organisations involved and a complete mystery as to what has gone on. Conflicting information that does not make sense. Sadly some issues elsewhere are not allowing me a lot of time to get this resolved. I hopefully have time to sort this out but I do need some confidence in the payment methodology. At presence I do not but I can't get any sort of definitive answer from any of the parties. As somebody once almost said "Something is happening, but I don't know what it is..."

The Bard likes this.
  8. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

The Amazon France price looks like a no brainer if ordering from the UK. Purchases from the EU (post Brexit) do not attract additional VAT or import duties if their value (excluding delivery charges) is less than £135. Amazon.fr accounts fro the VAT directly to HMRC. Current Amazon.fr price equates to about £90 including delivery.

Incidentally they also have the forthcoming Joni Mitchell set for nearly £10 less than Amazon UK. 5 discs for under £50 including delivery.

9. swroegy

swroegy New Member

Question - Do the vinyl editions include oversized 12 x 12 booklets and are they the same content or do they contain additional photos and/or text?

10. shades

shades Forum Resident

I only have the vinyl editions of vol 1-3, 4, 7, 12, and 14.
    The editions before 14 have very nice 12x12 books. Vol 14 is a double album with 4 pages of liner notes.
    I dont have CD versions to compare.

CBackley likes this.
  11. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

The ephemera included with the LP releases is, more or less, the same as that of the 2CD iterations. Having said that, there are some significant design differences on the first LP pressings of BS5. The books are all 12x12 except for initial (1991) pressings of BS1-3. I cannot speak to the packaging of the reissues.

12. Nitram

Nitram Forum Resident

The Cd box of BS 1-3 in Europe looked exactly the same as the Vinyl Box 12x12

hodgo likes this.
  13. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Forum Resident

Amazon US dropped to $111.99 if anyone's interested.

dee, kohoutek, streetlegal and 3 others like this.
  14. donl

donl Forum Resident

Saw that and ordered

BigBadWolf likes this.
  15. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Excited about the alternate recordings of 'Clean Cut Kid' as well as excited/worried about the alternate recording of 'Blind Willie McTell' as it's not only one of my favorite Dylan songs but one I consider to likely be the greatest song ever written (in the popular or folk paradigm, separate from classical compositions). And I think it will be very hard to top the recording found on The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1-3. I want this new set to be my definitive, to-go document of the period.

enro99 likes this.
  16. Dylen81

Dylen81 Member

This may be a stupid question but do we know for sure that the booklets etc would be in English if ordered from the French amazon? I'm still deliberating where to order from and really don't want to pay the UK amazon price, even if the price is likely to be less when it actually gets relaeased

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Don't forget, Amazon has a pre-order price guarantee: "the price we charge when we ship it to you will be the lowest price offered by Amazon.com between the time you placed your order and the end of the day of the release date."

18. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

Being french and always ordering the Bootleg Series boxsets on Amazon France : The booklet / packaging are NEVER translated in french.

bobcat likes this.
  19. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I have bought multiple releases from Amazon France, Germany & Italy over the years including Beatles, McCartney, Lennon and Dylan boxes. These things have always "one size fits all". They don't in my experience different versions for specific markets. I suspect there is not sufficient demand and cost would be prohibitive. Quite often they ship from the same warehouse irrespective of which European Amazon they are purchased from, including the UK, though the latter may have changed post Brexit (albeit I am still receiving items purchased at Amazon UK but shipped by Amazon EU).

20. Dylen81

Dylen81 Member

Thanks

21. Dylen81

Dylen81 Member

Thanks

22. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

From what I can make out, the version of Blind Willie McTell included on this forthcoming set is the familiar, electric 'cough' version that has been circulating for a great many years. A lot of people seem to prefer it to the BS Vols I to III version, but to me the latter is easily superior.

Also, it seems they have a number of complete takes of Blind Willie McTell in the vault but aren't sharing any more of them - for now. A real swiz.

23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah I don't think you're missing much with the new direction home one . Most tracks have been released on other sets

24. The Cat 3

The Cat 3 Forum Resident

Thanks, ordered.

aoxomoxoa and BigBadWolf like this.
  25. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

Yes, that version doesn't touch the majestic power and sheer magic of the "piano, acoustic guitar version" for lack of a better designator.