Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. DPAM

DPAM Forum Resident

First of two small clips from my 1hr Mark Howard (Engineer on Time Out Of Mind) discussion, until I get the 'Ragdoll Clip' ready.

2. DPAM

DPAM Forum Resident

Second clip from Mark Howard (discussion)

3. DPAM

DPAM Forum Resident

Here's Mark talking about 'The Ragdoll (and Pink Floyd) Versions".

Promo: This and many other cool Time Out Of Mind related interviews, presentations, posts, and events taking place for the next bunch of months at freakmusic.club.

4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I definitely want the next one to be TOOM but would absolutely love another 90s focused one as well. Who knows what goodies Dylan recorded in his home studio for Good As I Been and World Gone Wrong. I could see them coupled with the Bromberg sessions and maybe, possibly Under The Red Sky and whatever other "floaters" from the 90s up to pre-TOOM material.

5. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

I humbly stand corrected. I'm both mostly deaf and clearly in need of a new eyeglass prescription.... :)

Apologies also to @HuntingBare for flippantly contradicting his informed post earlier. I will retire to the sin bin and ban myself from this thread for ten three minutes.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    mrjinks, DPAM and HuntingBare like this.
  6. Percy Song

Thanks! Brilliant! Looking forward to hearing about the Tubular Bells version of Standing in the Doorway.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

No harm done.

Frankly I want *either* a maximalist TOOM set, casting its net far and wide across the 90s, and weighing in at 10 CDs or more, or a fairly maximalist TOOM set, plus a maximalist 'rest of the 90s' set. Trouble is, I don't reckon we can reasonably expect both. And even though there are doubtless reels and reels of outtakes from Good AS I Been To You and World Gone Wrong, plus the Broomberg Sessions and Supper Club and who knows what else, I still want the TOOM set more.

The agony of waiting for an announcement is killing me. Killing me, I say!

8. Percy Song

Yes, luckily I didn't put Percy's hat on the line on this one. It would've been debatable whether I could've justified not having to take a nibble out of it. :)

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  9. DPAM

DPAM Forum Resident

Personally, while I want all the Time Out Of Mind outtakes they'll give us (especially some of the original Oxnard stuff and whatever other alt-takes are complete) - and perhaps although I think it's unlikely some remixed options where different musicians who didn't make the final mixes are used (longshot) - what I really hope is we start getting Live NET takes on these songs, from the soundboard. Lord knows there are many excellent versions and it would be cool for them to give us a full TOOM LIVE album instead of just all the ones we get from the field.

Nosferatuz and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  10. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

there are TOOM audience tapes that sound better than sdbs.
    aud bootlegs would be one thing I would not need in a TOOM box

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  11. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

What are your favourites from the era? I spinner At The Globe Arena and the MSG 1998 release quite a lot in the days.

12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Well, he was only into ORGANIZED religion during those years. He seems content to avoid being a part of anyone’s flock

13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i would have to think about. i like that san diego show with highlands

14. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

78z
    In a way Dylan has already released a live version of Time Out Of Mind – spread out over a series of singles, EPs, a DVD and bobdylan.com releases:

Love Sick
    • Grammy Awards, New York City, NY, 25 February 1998 (released on Love Sick CD single and on bobdylan.com)
    • New York City, NY, 26 July 1999 (bonus download with BS 8 – Tell Tale Signs – incorrectly dated as "Live 2001")
    • Nashville, TN, 6 February 1999 (released on bobdylan.com)

Dirt Road Blues
    • Live performance for Masked And Anonymous, Ray-Art Studios, Canoga Park, CA, July 2002 (released on Masked And Anonymous DVD)

Standing In The Doorway
    • Osaka, Japan, 6 March 2001 (released on bobdylan.com)
    • Live performance for Masked And Anonymous, Ray-Art Studios, Canoga Park, CA, July 2002 (released on Masked And Anonymous DVD)

Million Miles
    • Binghamton, NY, 19 February 1999 (released on promo CD Million Miles – Live Recordings 1997–1999)

Tryin’ To Get To Heaven
    • Lisbon, Portugal, 7 April 1999 (released on bobdylan.com)
    • London, England, 5 October 2000 (released on BS 8 – Tell Tale Signs)
    • Washington, DC, 4 April 2004 (released on bobdylan.com)

‘Til I Fell In Love With You
    • Los Angeles, CA, 16 December 1997 (released on bobdylan.com)

Not Dark Yet
    • Irvine, CA, 11 October 2019 (part of current exhibition at Tulsa)

Cold Irons Bound
    • Los Angeles, CA, 16 December 1997 (released on Love Sick CD single and on bobdylan.com)
    • Manchester, TN, 11 June 2004 (released on BS 8 – Tell Tale Signs and on bonus 7" with Time Out Of Mind 20th Anniversary 2 LPs)

Make You Feel My Love
    • Los Angeles, CA, 21 May 1998 (released on Things Have Changed CD single and on bobdylan.com)
    • New Orleans, LA, 3 February 1999 (released on bobdylan.com)

Can’t Wait
    • Los Angeles, CA, 20 December 1997 (released on Love Sick CD single)

Highlands
    • New York City, NY, 27 July 1999 (released on bobdylan.com)
    • Santa Cruz, CA, 16 March 2000 (released on bonus CD with The Best Of Bob Dylan Vol. 2)

15. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

i didn't know about this!

thanks for the info!

bonus likes this.
  16. zombie dai

This is a various collection of songs/fragments that appeared in the movie but were not included on the soundtrack and also some additional material included on the DVD supplemental material and "M&A Exposed" feature. The creator of this (unknown to me) did their best to extract the talking that appears in the movie from the audio clips, hence why the audio levels/quality dips in and out on some tracks. Music from "Masked And Anonymous" unavailable on the official cd soundtrack: 1. Amazing Grace (Traditional - Recorded for M&A - fragment not listed on credits) 0:00 2. I'll Remember You (Recorded for M&A - Listed on credits) 0:00:29 3. Drifter's Escape (Recorded for the film - Performed live by Bob Dylan and his band - listed on credits) 03:59 4. Dirt Road Blues - (Recorded for M&A - listed on credits) 07:04 5. Angelina - (Uncredited instrumental cover) 09:25 6. Blowin' in the Wind (removed due to copyright) DVD supplemental material: 7. Standing In the Doorway (Recorded for M&A) 11:15 "M&A Exposed" feature: 8. Dirt Road Blues (Instrumental - recorded for M&A) 16:45 9. Political World (New Version same as version on movie) 18:16 10. If You See Her Say Hello (Recorded for M&A) 21:12 11. Unidentified song fragment or tuning 23:32 12. Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Recorded for M&A) 23:49

17. zombie dai

18. It was leaked that the big vinyl version is 10 lp’s.So that means about 400 minutes of music so probably 6 cd’s.
    Work out what they will fit into that.

19. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

FANTASTIC (and useful) post!!

It’ll be curious then if these appear—or I guess rather reappear then—as part of a Time Out of Mind release, especially those only released on bobdylan.com. I’d be down with that.

But again, thanks for this info.

bonus likes this.
  20. zombie dai

i want as many versions of highlands as possible, and i'll be happy

vivresavie and SteveFff like this.
  21. HuntingBare

HuntingBare Forum Resident

It was 'leaked'? I've seen rumours on forums, that's it.

musicaner likes this.
  22. DPAM

DPAM Forum Resident

Thanks! That's a fantastic list.

23. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

my choice is still early coffee house bob....something about those early shows with just Bob and his guitar :love: (and harmonica)

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I'm not greedy, I will take a Time Out Of Mind box set this summer and a box set of the coffee house years for Christmas.

25. Dylan75

Dylan75 Forum Resident

I’m with you as long as the TOOM box is as massive as Big Blue.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.