Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. DotKom11

DotKom11 Forum Resident

Does anyone else like this version of Make You Feel My Love? I think it’s excellent.

Fred1970, mrjinks, enro99 and 2 others like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

[​IMG]

timnor and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  3. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Isn't it established that the "30 minute version" was a tongue in cheek comment that someone else took too seriously?

Sean Murdock and Crush87 like this.
  4. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

That's the way I've always understood it.

HuntingBare and Nosferatuz like this.
  5. Could be the inspiration for a new thread, or a sub-thread - Worst Bob Dylan cover version you've ever heard.

It's William Shatner's genuinely shocking re-interpretation of Mr Tambourine Man for me, all day long. A remarkably ill-advised ride through Bob's transcendental masterpiece that reduces it to little more than rubble. An essential listen really.

6. ImDeranged

ImDeranged We Can Eat Gyros (But just for today)

Which leads one to ask....
    "is that a real poncho... I mean
    Is that a Mexican poncho
    Or is that a Sears poncho?
    Hmmm... No foolin..."

Runicen, Haggischomper and PJayBe like this.
  7. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I remember it seemed strange when the Street Legal remix came out that a whole album had been remixed. I loved it since first hearing it in the early 80s. Then I heard the remix and it quickly became the new standard version - I virtually never listen to the original release. However, it was more of a clean up than a radically different sounding record. For me, the album most in need of a radical remix is Empire Burlesque, and we have that partially on Springtime. TOOM isn’t one I’ve wished for a remix of but I’m very curious to hear it and based on the alternate Lovesick, it could well outshine the original.

8. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I do.

DotKom11 likes this.
  9. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I would absolutely love a full remix of Empire and would buy it immediately as well. This could also be another thing they f--ed up on Springtime. Those forty minute or so discs had plenty of room for a full Empire remix. I mean...look at what we're getting in a few months?

Themigou and Lonson like this.
  10. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Yes.

11. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I know!

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  12. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

Disappointing that we don't get the Not Dark Yet from the Teatro sessions that Lanois has talked favorably about.
    Especially since this version is also mentioned in the liner notes to this set. (It's possible read some of the pages if you pause the unboxing video)

Floater likes this.
  13. Dark Horse 77

That is an odd decision. Lanois spoke favorable of it...that must be the reason why it's not here! Damn shame it's not included of course; just add it to the downright perverse decisions that have been a part of the Bootleg Series over the years.

HuntingBare and cable hogue like this.
  14. Sacr

Sacr Forum Resident

I'm still hoping that there' s a version with that spirit (or the demo with later overdubs) in one of the CDs.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. I've never heard that original Street Legal mix, but I remember the new mix being spoken of with caution when it first appeared. Don't know why, it's a natural sounding listen. Maybe because it was hammered by critics when it first came out? Definitely an album I initially underestimated. It has the odd lesser moment but overall I find it an engaging record with some of Bob's most wilfully strange yet picturesque lyric writing.

Rough&Rowdy likes this.
  16. Dark Horse 77

The 1999 mix definitely is superior, imo. You should check out the original just to hear it. To me, it's like a layer of mud was covering the speakers the first time around which was removed for the remix.
    That said, I know of some people that still find the original mix better.

17. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

I love the 1999 remix, especially with some decent headphones. As someone said above, it's like a muddy layer was removed. The instrument separation is much improved and Dylan's vocals are clearer.

"Changing of the Guards" and "Señor" really benefit from the remix. I never listen to the original anymore.

18. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

My guess is the latter is what we'll get in this set. I personally would find it hard to believe that the liner notes would talk in-depth about a version of a song that's not on this set. The only time I can think of anything similar happening with The Bootleg Series is when the Vol. 1-3 liner notes made a quick mention that there was organ in the included version of "Idiot Wind" when there wasn't. But that could have come down to just some confusion as to what take/mix was included.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I'm sure all the 70's Cocaine parti
    The worst Bob Dylan cover song is "the boxer" for sure.

20. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Also noticeable from the unboxing video (about 40 seconds in) is that Douglas Brinkley has written an essay on the songs. Were we not anticipating a book from him these last few months or years?

21. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

Yes I even had a preorder in for it but it was cancelled without explanation and has vanished without a trace. Unravelled Tales I think was the title

Dark Horse 77 and Percy Song like this.
  22. TWZ

TWZ Forum Resident

It's not an in-depth discussion of the Teatro version. Just a sentence in passing while talking about the Criteria sessions.

23. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

Are there any screen captures (or transcriptions) of this sentence?

24. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Perhaps that demo will be released on a limited VHS cassette?

25. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

The Spooky Organ "Idiot Wind" was scheduled to be included on BS 1-3 when John Bauldie was advised of the track list, so that is what he wrote about for the liner notes. There was a last minute switcheroo because Spooky Organ was already circulating from the Test Pressing pirates and DylanInc decided they wanted to give the fans a Take they hadn't heard. The liner notes were not updated to account for the change. There are a couple other songs on there that were switcheroo'd after JB had submitted his notes, I believe, but I can't remember which ones they were for the moment.