Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I had the local shop order me the 5CD box set. They will knock about $15 off the list price and sell it to me two days before street date. I stopped shopping on amazon months ago and haven't received anything damaged/lost/late since. I can imagine some warehouse worker trying to shove the 10 LP set in a bubble mailer.

richierichie likes this.
  2. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

Usually, this type of luxury boxes come in a proper packaging BEFORE Amazon gets them.
    BTW, enough with those dodgy poncho jokes.

Bill007 likes this.
  3. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Since the 10-LP set is now being sold on Amazon, that might explain the sudden drop in inventory at Bob's US store. It's now down to 529 available. It was around 1300 or so just a couple of days ago.

4. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Interesting development with Amazon for the 10LP set. I trust bobdylan.com packaging this box really well but expect delays. Hmmm what to do?

5. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I’ve had good luck and bad. My Prince SOTT CD box was moderately damaged, but I probably would have sucked it up if the discs themselves weren’t scratched. I returned it and got a replacement which actually had the proper inner box with it the second time. I’ve also had lots of books with damaged corners, cracked plastic slipcases, etc. Even one of my Dylan BS deluxe boxes was damaged (can’t remember which one). Basically I’ve decided that any of these luxury collector’s sets are items I am willing to spend a bit more on to get it through a local retailer. Better quality control, and I can get it on release date. Plus I support a local business. I’m not preaching that it’s the only way or that I’m some sort of ethical model, just that for me Amazon isn’t the way to go for some of these things.

6. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

That has not always been my experience. It’s very hit and miss.

7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

At last! Less than £100,000 worth of goods in my basket. Things are looking up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Themigou likes this.
  8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Is there a discount code for U.K. store or just USA store?

9. bobbycat

bobbycat Forum Resident

I´ve gotten a 15 % discount from the US store...but it doesn´t work for the EU store....and I´m not willing to spend a million for shipping from the US

10. Goddess of Gloom

Goddess of Gloom Forum Resident

More info from the user 'oneofthesupremes' over on Expecting Rain:
    "Next teaser from Fragments won't be until Jan 10th when we'll be getting Not Dark Yet (Take 1).
    Not particularly exciting news, but news all the same."

DeeThomaz, rednax, dee and 3 others like this.
  11. Mrsharko

Mrsharko Forum Resident

Does Amazon charge right away for preorders or do they charge when it ships?

12. shades

shades Forum Resident

When the item ships.

13. You're a few months early.

Monkadee and savemenow like this.
  14. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I think I’ve given up buying anything breakable from Amazon. The amount of CD digipacks, box sets, card Blu Ray cases and LPs damaged due to poor packaging is significant now. At one point I thought it was worth complaining formally but I just don’t think anyone at Amazon seems to care. I received a copy of Wildflowers & All The Rest from Amazon.com that had been shipped across the Atlantic in a box large enough for a flatpack deckchair. The LP had nothing to stop it bouncing around inside and had badly dented corners. Amazon only gave me the option to return for a replacement, which was sent in exactly the same size box! It’s so wasteful and I’ve vowed to always use my local vinyl shop - it’s a bit more expensive but to avoid Amazon’s packaging disasters, it’s worth it. I hope the BD store wrap the 10LP set well because with that much vinyl in one box, I just wouldn’t trust Amazon with it.

Tom Schreck and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

That’s kind of ridiculous. They said the 10 LP was exclusive to the official site. Since it wasn’t selling like they must have expected, they now put it on Amazon. Even with the free shipping, I still got it cheaper on the official site with the discount code. If it ever drops in price on Amazon, I imagine there will be plenty of cancellations on the Bob Dylan site.

Had I known all of this, I would have definitely held off on ordering so quickly.

16. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Agree with all of this

Mine was also cheaper than the current Amazon price but Amazon may go down and I would have held off

Regardless, it’s complete bull that they walked back the exclusivity just because of how it was selling. That’s not how it works

17. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yep. Only available on the official site was the only reason I bought it so quickly. They made it sound strictly limited and like it would quickly sell out. They must have a deal set up with Amazon that doesn't allow them to drop the price. Otherwise, they will have to deal with hundreds of returns on the official site. What a mess.

Fred Dender and Themigou like this.
  18. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

So, I know Amazon's return policy is super easy with 1LP 2LP etc. What about big boxes? When we invariably find out this was pressed at somewhere like GZ, will Amazon be easier to sort an exchange with for defective LPs or BD.com?

19. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

Another one!

20. Themigou

Themigou Forum Resident

I do think it’s a bit premature - and fairly dispiriting - to be planning your return of the faulty records four weeks before they’ve even arrived.

Studio_Two and StingRay5 like this.
  21. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

It's not premature but it is dispiriting. Vinyl production is a mess and a boxset of this size has the potential for major issues. If GZ did it there will be lots of exchanges happening.

I buy lots of vinyl from Amazon purely for their exchange policy. When you fork over that kind of money you want to know there's recourse if and when there's a problem. Brick and mortar stores don't have any deals worked out with the distributors to protect them from defective product so that risk gets passed on to the consumer. It's the only reason why Amazon is a good bet with new vinyl

John D., Leo K and Crosseyed like this.
  22. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

their customer service sucks. i'm still trying to cancel my preorder. took them 5 days to reply to ask for more info. my advice would be to use amazon. for a multi-million business, dylan inc are embarrassingly bad

23. zombie dai

zombie dai people live in dreams, but not in their own

i got fed up with the official store and went through the website link for the pre order- 2 hours later

seems like the official store is scamming you out of your money.

CBackley likes this.
  24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

This is the first major Dylan box in a long time where the vinyl issue will have everything on the deluxe CD edition.

With all the gripes and returns that we can expect, I bet it may also be the last.

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I know you don't like to see people always complaining and quite often I agree with you, but if I've paid £215 GBP for something I expect it to play without issues, the same goes for highly priced releases from Acoustic Sounds or MFSL especially when you've paid £40 GBP for a single LP.

TheAbsentMind and MrCJF like this.