Bob Dylan: THE BOOTLEG SERIES VOL. 17: "Fragments - Time Out of Mind Sessions" [1/27/23]*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 20, 2021.

1. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

i hope they keep the live tracks to a minimum.

2. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Or separate the live tracks from the studio tracks - eg maybe make disc 5 a live disc?

Dark Horse 77 and musicaner like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Spelling error or typo?

The song is "A Burger Most Fowl" about the time Bob thought he was getting a 100% beef burger, but was served a turkey burger.

Bob has long believed that eating birds is sinful.

Note:
    You can put a rock'n'roller on a farm, but you cannot take away his rock'n'roll boots

[​IMG]

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

That pic immediately made me think about the hard boiled egg bit from Highlands.

Tribute likes this.
  5. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

I guess they've ditched the complete sessions idea as, if there was ever an era that deserved it outside 65/6 and BOTT, it was TOOM. Shame.

vivresavie, Dark Horse 77 and Dylan75 like this.
  6. drift

drift Forum Resident

Is it confirmed that it's a curated set vs. the complete tapes?

7. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

While there is no way I could afford a complete sessions box ala Big Blue it would be nice for those who can. The five or six disc condensed would do me fine, which is what I have for The Cutting Edge.

Dylan75 likes this.
  8. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

In my opinion, the problem with "complete sessions" with TOOM and a ton of his later projects is that the albums don't necessarily present self-contained live performances (like the 60s records did). At a certain point, and definitely by the 80s, Dylan was making records in the way that most people post-Beatles use studios -- laying down basic tracks and then building things, doing overdubs, splicing things together from different takes, using mixdowns as references for adding new elements or generating whole new performances, etc. This is why so much of Springtime in New York ends up being alternate mixes of the album versions, with maybe a different lead vocal or a stripped-down reference mix, instead of a wholly different performance. Yeah, Dylan will drastically re-write songs, change keys, scrap whole performances and start over, but any attempt at "complete sessions" from the later albums is bound to present confusion -- is a particular reference mixdown considered a new performance? what about every particular overdub or splice-together? Where does one draw the line? Of course I prefer things to be more complete than less complete, but can you imagine, say, three whole discs of alternate mixes of "Highlands" with maybe a different guitar in the mix each time? 'Cause that's what you're asking for when you want "comprehensive" with these albums.

Some might say I'm off the mark here, and that TOOM was much more "live in the studio" than I think, and sure, I'd be glad to be proven wrong. But Springtime in New York really reinforced to me how much Dylan was adept at using the tools of the studio, despite his reputation as anti-studio-process. I have no reason to believe that he would have insisted on self-contained live performances in his second project with Lanois. Searching for the right sound and feel, yes -- but then I'm sure they chipped away and edited and spliced and overdubbed and re-mixed just like all the other albums of the era. So again, my opinion is that the notion of "complete sessions" here just doesn't make as much sense as it did for the albums covered on Big Blue.

piepants, munjeet, tstrapac and 20 others like this.
  9. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Nothing is confirmed, there’s no press release yet. And even still it’s not real til you have it on the shelf :)
    But things are pointing to a curated set.

drift likes this.
  10. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Or maybe it's a 6-cd set with 4 devoted to studio sessions and 2 to an entire show of the same era that's heavy on TOOM songs. I'd prefer all studio tracks given the choice.

Bink likes this.
  11. racingman11

racingman11 Forum Resident

5 of 6 CD is a lot for a « curated set » though. Big Blue was 17 Discs for 3 albums (and a unrelated bonus CD), MBMT was 6 CD for on album (but with some sessions lost forever), so I don’t think 5-6 CD indicate anything.

drift likes this.
  12. bem

bem Forum Resident

I just want the official announcement. Is it strictly time out of mind? Is it a mid nineties overview?
    And this thing about a listening party for journalists confused me. I've never seen this happen without an announcement. Means something should be publicly known before too long.

13. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

"Curated" trends 90s box.

14. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I’ve seen a supposed track list for a three disc version, 92-98, curated - demos, studio outtakes, live, and soundtrack stuff. Centered on TOOM but not exclusively. Most of it is 96-97.

15. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

92-98 suggests some content from Good As I Been To You, and World Gone Wrong. Maybe. But some if that was on BS vol 8.

16. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

and bromberg sessions

Yeti and mightyquinn61 like this.
  17. mightyquinn61

Is there enough 1992 Bromberg sesh for a complete unreleased album? And if so, please release it Bob!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    jumpinjulian, richierichie and Yeti like this.
  18. You pretend to know a lot more than you actually know, when you take unconfirmed reports by a Swedish writer in a Swedish forum and pretend they’re the truth. I doubt you’re the source. Maybe the reports are truthful. We’ll see.

ET3311 likes this.
  19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Focusing on whenever an announcement of whatever might occur is the same as watching the nightly talking heads guess whenever whomever might fall from grace..

That time, in both cases, is better spent on enjoying music and the stories it tells.

Alfie Noakes and Adam Schellin like this.
  20. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Yeah I saw that list too. It’s on the back of my copy of Tell Tale Signs.

21. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

For what it’s worth, many others in the press got the same message. Sounds like the listening event is the truth.

mightyquinn61 likes this.
  22. WowBobWow

WowBobWow Forum Resident

Hoping for this. We still don't have "You Belong To Me" without the Natural Born Killers dialogue over it.

tms766 likes this.
  23. Sledge

Sledge Forum Resident

Im not pretending anyhing, I have nothing to gain from lying in a forum. The listening event is taking place august 23 and it is the truth.

24. mightyquinn61

Where would Dylanology be without Scandinavia. :)

Forty links likes this.
  25. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

If You Belong To Me is on the collection, it will be odd to hear it without the VoiceOver at the end.

Fred1970 likes this.