Bob Dylan 'The Complete Album Collection Vol. 1' remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mattdegu, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I have been slowly going through Dylan's catalog in chronological order. I started in 2006 and am now listening to Empire Burlesque. It certainly has some strong production applied. I am enjoying it but not as much as Infidels and the outtakes from those sessions. Curious to know what tracks you are enjoying the most.

2. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I've always loved 'Dark Eyes' (even recorded a weird cover of it myself).

But 'Trust Yourself', 'Tight Connection' and 'I'll Remember You' have been in heavy rotation.

Agree- those Infidels outtakes are pretty amazing. Wish those came out officially.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

From this new set I've been listening mostly to the new remastered albums and got stuck on "Good As I Been to You" and "World Gone Wrong." Love those and they sound great here.
    And I've been listening to the Side Tracks compilation. .. but on vinyl.

Carserguev and Joey_Corleone like this.
  4. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I think EB closes very strongly with these three at end of side 2...

"When the Night Comes Falling from the Sky"
    "Something's Burning, Baby"
    "Dark Eyes"

5. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

This is some of the stuff I would love to see on a future The Bootleg Series...

[Wiki]
    As with many of Dylan's albums, outtakes and rough mixes from Empire Burlesque were eventually bootlegged. This is a list of known outtakes, though more than a few are not in circulation.
    • "As Time Passes By"
    • "Driftin' Too Far From Shore" (circulating). This song was later released on Knocked Out Loaded, after several major overdubs were included. The much more stripped down take from the EB sessions is circulating.
    • "Firebird"
    • "Freedom for the Stallion" (two takes circulating)
    • "Go Away Little Boy" (circulating)
    • "Gravity Song"
    • "The Girl I Left Behind" (traditional)
    • "Help Me Make It Through The Night" (Kris Kristofferson)
    • "Honey Wait (?)" (circulating)
    • "I See Fire in Your Eyes"
    • "In the Summertime" (circulating)
    • "Instrumental 1"
    • "Instrumental 2"
    • "Instrumental 3"
    • "Instrumental 4"
    • "Instrumental 5"
    • "Instrumental 6"
    • "Jam 1"
    • "Jam 2"
    • "Jam 3"
    • "Jam 4"
    • "Look Yonder"
    • "Mountain of Love" (Harold Kenneth Dorman)
    • "New Danville Girl" (circulating)
    • "Queen of Rock and Roll"
    • "Prince of Plunder"
    • "Rising Sun" (Steven Hufsteter/Tito Larriva/Tony Marsico/Chalo Quintana)
    • "Straight A's in Love" (circulating)
    • "Too Hot to Drive By"
    • "The Very Thought of You" (circulating)
    • "Waiting to Get Beat" (circulating). "The Very Thought" and "Waiting To Get Beat", like "Denise" and "Black Crowe Blues" from Another Side of Bob Dylan use the same music but have different lyrics.
    • "We Had It All" (Donny Frittis, Troy Seals)
    • "When the Line Forms"
    • "Who Loves You More" (circulating). Finished track
    • "Wolf"

6. rolaaar

rolaaar Active Member

I agree. I find it kind of cheesy and poppy, but when talking about that 80's kind of cheesiness it doesn't get much better than this. The firt song is the best one.

7. mattdegu

mattdegu Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just listened to my 80's CD of it, the current non-box version. I've always admired it, but I can see how it would benefit from a fresh remaster. It sounded a little sludgy. It's got that resonating drum sound of course, and suppose it always will.

8. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Ok...Ok...I know I said I talked myself out of it, BUT...

Popmarket just sent me a survey request with a 15% off coupon, so I searched out the Dylan Box on Pop Market and with the coupon just scored it for $161.50 with free shipping.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Congrats! You did good.

10. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I wish they were circulating in my collection.

11. mattdegu

For anyone who doesn't follow the other thread, there's currently an HMV and FOPP sale on (same company), where the box is possibly £99 or £100 in all of their shops. Might be worth ringing to check, it's the cheapest I've seen it in Britain so far.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    jamiesjamies and jl151080 like this.
  12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Just to clarify - both stores are basically the same price - just one pence difference.

£99.99 in HMV
    £100 in Fopp

mattdegu likes this.
  13. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

Wonder if there will be any left tomorrow? I wasnt gonna bother but at this price I would get it and eBay my Japan for Europe originals.

14. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

15. furrykittens

furrykittens Forum Resident

Does anybody know if the newly remastered albums for this set are available individually on CD yet?

16. I don't believe so, there has been no confirmation one way or the other, however.

17. T-Bo

T-Bo Forum Resident

Japanese versions on Blu-spec CD2 format are available individually for Dylan's 60s and 70s albums. The 80s, 90s, and 00s are upcoming. The sleeves on these Japanese versions are larger than the sleeves in the USA box set and contain inner protective sleeves. According to the notes on CD Japan the latest remasterings are used.

18. furrykittens

furrykittens Forum Resident

Thanks for the help

19. mattdegu

'Blu-spec' CDs can be played on normal CD players. There's a new(ish) thread on this here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bob-dylan-blu-spec-cd2-new-releases.303154/

It seems like the first batch due out are a group of the earlier classics (up to Blood on the Tracks), so will be made from the individually-available 2000's remasters that this Complete box mainly contains. The difference is that they will be 'cut' with this new blu-spec 2 technology, which is supposed to bring us even more of the available digital detail (or whatever, so to speak, etc) on normal CD players. Later on though they will bring out more recent albums it seems, including the newer currently box-only remasters.

So when talking CD, it looks like many people on this forum will continue to own a mix of 2000's Sony's, x amount of the celebrated mo-fis, the odd Sony SACD/CD hybrid maybe, and an older CD or two perhaps, like the SH-recommended John Wesley Harding made in the 80's. To add to that lot we can now all buy 'bluspec' CDs of the albums newly-remastered for this box set. As long, that is, as they are as 'reasonably priced' as people are suggesting they will be. The problem is it still all seems to be based in Japan, but I doubt Sony will now 'out-date' all their existing and widely-distributed Dylan stock CDs of albums like Down in the Groove (or any of the newly box-remastered stuff to be frank) by replacing them with 'old-style' CDs of these newer remasters. Apart from being in this box obviously, I expect they will now be offered as 'blu-spec' manufactured or nothing, with existing CDs being allowed to slowly diminish. CDs in general are hardly the market they were after all.

This Complete box set though, I think is still great for people who want to own Dylan's albums either from scratch, or from just owning a few of them perhaps. I've recently sold my Dylan 'mono box' to raise some cash, as I found that all the 2000-era remasters I owned were decent enough in comparison to the mono box CDs (which of course have their own unique mastering), and from time to time I'm picking up the genuinely-audiophile Mobile Fidelity 'classic era' limited-edition CD's anyway when I see them cheap-enough (ie under 20 pounds, which is still possible I think). All I need really are the newest remasters, and I'm happy enough waiting for them while playing the versions I already own.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  20. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

21. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Mr. Explorer and Tjazz like this.
  22. highway

highway Forum Resident

23. highway

highway Forum Resident

Will latest Dylan album be released in a mini sleeve so that it fits in this box set?
    thank you

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Is there room for additional packs in that box? Everything comes out on mini-LP these days you betcha! Of course it could be too tall as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.