Bob Dylan - The Early Live Show Thread (1960 through 1964)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

This thread is for discussion of Bob Dylan's early live appearances. It can include both concert hall and small venue performances. It can also include appearances that were known to have been recorded (professionally or otherwise) and appearances not known to have been recorded. Rumored or speculated shows may also be included.

If you wish, please consider posting images of Dylan on stage in these years, or images of posters, newspaper advertisements. Images of the venues (interior or exterior) or images where the venue once stood are also welcome.

Known setlists are OK to post, but you can provide links too.

If you post about 1965, that is OK, but that well known year might deserve a separate thread.

Here is an image taken in the home of a friend of mine:

[​IMG]

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Great idea for a thread, Tribute.

Somewhere on this forum somebody posted news about a newly recovered tape
    of Dylan performing in 1957 or thereabouts. It was a public concert not a home
    tape. What was it? Can anyone find it now and repost it here?

3. Tribute

Of course. I am NOT into rules or restricting discussion. If someone has a tape of Dylan at his bar mitzvah, or can otherwise document it, please post!

qwerty likes this.
  4. Tribute

Unknown location. NYC 1961

[​IMG]

5. Tribute

In 1961, Dylan played at Bennington College, Vermont. Supposedly in this room:

[​IMG]

From a recent Bennington College webpage

"October 1961, a little-known folk singer named Bob Dylan took to a tiny, cramped stage on the third floor of Bennington College’s Commons Building—and was promptly booed. As one eyewitness later recalled, it wasn’t the future legend’s music that upset the audience, but his late start: scheduled to open for the blues and gospel singer Reverend Gary Davis, Dylan began performing an hour later than expected (apparently because Davis had overindulged at their pre-show dinner, and needed to sober up backstage). But while the College’s folk fans were irritated at the wait, their frustration soon faded; as the eyewitness observes, “it took all of about 20 seconds to realize you were hearing an unusual musician ... his stage presence was just extraordinary.”

6. Tribute

The Gaslight

This link is to a very good, long article.

The Story of the Gaslight Café, Where Dylan Premiered ‘A Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall’

An excerpt:

Romney and Bob Dylan had met at one of the Gaslight’s earlier hootenannies in 1961. A 20-year-old Dylan approached Romney, who hosted the night, asking him whether he could perform. Romney went straight for the mic and said: “There he is, a legend in his life time… Uh… What’s your name kid?”

Former location of the Gaslight on MacDougal Street

[​IMG]

The Gaslight (basement)

[​IMG]

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I love the Gaslight boot, which is now the Starbucks release. Auction Block and Rocks and Gravel are fabulous.

And I love the 1964 Halloween Show, where Bob has his Halloween mask on!

8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Tell us about this photo, Tribute.
    1961? in a private residence, or --?
    Is that in East Orange or in NYC?
    Who took it?
    Are there more exposures on the negative?
    35mm negative?

moople72 likes this.
  9. Tribute

Joe Alper took it at his home in Schenectady NY. Dylan was a frequent house guest there because of Joe's wife, Jackie (my friend), who had been a very close personal friend (and former lover) of Woody Guthrie. The photos (I used to see all of the negatives) are now owned by a mega-corporation.

10. Tribute

Yes, you can post about 1965, especially if it was a pre-electric concert!

Here is a February 1965 poster for a Troy, New York concert (160 miles north of NYC). I believe it was sponsored by the then all-boys engineering school, RPI.

I imagine there were many RPI boys with their "co-ed" dates there. I hope they saved 50 cents by buying in advance.

After all, it was a Valentine's date.

[​IMG]

Here is an excerpt from a blog by one of those 18 year old engineering students about the show

"In 1964, RPI freshmen were nerds and geeks before the terms were even invented. We were called "tools" back then. Pocket protectors and slide rule holsters were part of our normal garb. Women were a low priority in our lives, although that would change for some of us during our four years at RPI.

At the Phalanx Dance, each freshman had a number. Supposedly, dates were matched by age and height. Funny, since we were all freshmen and about the same age. When your number was called, you walked to the center of the hockey rink and met your "Phalanx Date".

The Phalanx Dance was a big thing for us, a real diversion from the grind of class work. Even a “tool” needed diversion. My date was a nice girl from the College of Saint Rose. I feel bad that I can't recall her name. I do remember that she was from South Troy. Although the details of our first "date" at the Phalanx Dance are sketchy, I do remember that we had a good time. It helped that we were both from Troy, albeit from opposite ends. We dated a couple of times after the dance.

Our last date was at a Bob Dylan concert at the Troy Armory in February 1965. This was a blanket concert and tickets were $2. Dylan's set list included “The Times They Are A'Changing” and “With God on Our Side”.

P.S. - Two weeks later, Pete Seeger played the same town.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Crispy Rob, anth67, highway and 4 others like this.
  11. Tribute

[​IMG]

If anyone can post about this show, please do!

shepherdfan likes this.
  12. Tribute

Same here

San Diego State College, likely 1964

[​IMG]

13. Tribute

Spring 1965 acoustic tour

[​IMG]

14. Tribute

Fall 1964 California tour

[​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. Tribute

January, 1962.

One of Bob's earliest gigs outside of NYC metropolitan area.

The San Remo Coffeehouse, Schenectady NY (Albany area, 160 miles from NYC). Bob stayed with my friend, Jackie Alper

January 13,14 – 1962 – Bob Dylan Performed San Remo Coffee House in Schenectady (9 Photographs) | NSF - MUSIC STATION

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Empty chairs!

[​IMG]

The coffeehouse was in a building that has been demolished and is now an empty lot.

20 years old, and not old enough to vote. Back then, however, he could have a drink.

anth67, The Quiet One, Dflow and 6 others like this.
  16. Tribute

This image was taken in Schenectady (at the place he was staying) while Bob was doing the San Remo Coffeehouse gig above

[​IMG]

17. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

A few hours old and already a thread of the year candidate. Keep it coming please!

Paul W, stanlove and Tribute like this.
  18. Tribute

We should get a lot of posts about this 1963 concert.

When did you first hear it, most likely on a bootleg? How did you react?

Town Hall.

Note the descriptions:

"Citybilly"

"Blues Singer"

[​IMG]

19. Tribute

Magazine advertisement, probably Sing Out!

[​IMG]

20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Great thread idea. This might be as good a place as any to mention that there are a number of fake Dylan (and other artists) concert posters out there. One common version is for a gig at the Underground Cavern in Greenwich Village on September 19, 1960. This not only pre-dates Dylan's arrival in NYC by several months, but more importantly, there never was a club named the Underground Cavern in Greenwich Village. Another version has Dylan, Verle & Jo Fred, Clapton, Hendrix and Fleetwood Mac playing the Centrum in Worcester, Mass on March 15, 1966. The Centrum opened in 1982 and on March 15, 1966, Dylan was somewhere between Lincoln, NE and Los Angeles.

21. Tribute

The poster on the right is for Cornell University, most likely Spring 1963, in a warm up show for the Town Hall concert

The one on the left is for Fall 1962.

Perhaps John Lee Hooker was the headliner?

[​IMG]

22. Tribute

Oh, the days of including a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Only weeks before the Kennedy assassination

[​IMG]

trumpet sounds likes this.
  23. Tribute

Bob got into town a little too late and missed this show. I bet he was disappointed.

[​IMG]

24. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

I would love to hear this.

Line-ups for Dylan's 1957 bands:

The Shadow Blasters (1957):
    Bob Zimmerman (Dylan) – vocals, piano
    Bill Marinac – bass
    Larry Fabbro – guitar
    Chuck Nara – drums
    (this line-up played the April 5, 1957, Hibbing High School Talent Festival)

The Golden Chords (1957/1958):
    Bob Zimmerman (Dylan) – vocals, piano, guitar
    Monte Edwardson – guitar
    LeRoy Hoikkala – drums
    (this line-up appeared on local TV, on the Polka Hour on WDSM-TV - Channel 6 - Duluth/Superior in 1958)

Percy Song and Richard--W like this.
  25. Tribute

Back when record stores were operating on full steam, they all sold "original posters". The best way to determine a fake was if it was in excellent condition.

Archtop likes this.