Bob Dylan - The Early Live Show Thread (1960 through 1964)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tribute, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member Thread Starter

You want some totally weird news?

Two weeks after Bob Dylan gave that Carnegie Hall show, guess who made her premier?

Yoko Ono presents a program of her own compositions in Carnegie Recital Hall (today's Weill Recital Hall) on November 21, 1961

Note "A Piece for Strawberries and Violin". Eerie.

The poster:

[​IMG]

Yoko at the time

[​IMG]

This was the original flyer handed out at the show

[​IMG]

2. Tribute

Izzy Young, Who Presided Over the Folk Revival, Is Dead at 90

[​IMG]

Izzy Young in 1963 in front of the Folklore Center in Greenwich Village.
    Mr. Young’s store, Bob Dylan once wrote, “was like an ancient chapel, like a shoebox sized institute.

By Margalit Fox
    NY Times February 5, 2019

Izzy Young, whose Greenwich Village shop, the Folklore Center, was the beating heart of the midcentury folk music revival — and who in 1961 presented the first New York concert by a young Bob Dylan — died on Monday at his home in Stockholm. He was 90.

His death was confirmed by his daughter, Philomène Grandin.

Anyone wanting to capture the essence of the times could do far worse than head to the Folklore Center, at 110 Macdougal Street, between Bleecker and West Third Streets. Established in 1957, it was nominally a music store, selling records, books, instruments, sheet music and fan magazines, most sprung from sweat and mimeograph machines, like Sing Out!, Caravan and Gardyloo.

In actual practice, the center was also equal parts hiring hall; Schwab’s Pharmacy, where young hopefuls awaited discovery; matchbox recital space for organized performances and impromptu jam sessions; nerve center for gossip on a par with any small-town barbershop; and forum for continuing, crackling debate on the all-consuming subject of folk music, which thanks in no small part to Mr. Young was enjoying wide, renewed attention.

“I began hanging out at the Folklore Center, the citadel of Americana folk music,” Mr. Dylan wrote in his memoir “Chronicles: Volume One” (2004), recalling his arrival in New York in 1961. “The small store was up a flight of stairs and the place had an antique grace. It was like an ancient chapel, like a shoebox sized institute.”

Crackling loudest above the din was Mr. Young, who, with his horn-rimmed glasses, prodigious vocal capacity and bottomless cornucopia of opinion, was the platonic, genially abrasive New York nebbish from Central Casting.

“His voice was like a bulldozer and always seemed too loud for the little room,” Mr. Dylan wrote. “Izzy was always a little rattled over something or other. He was sloppily good-natured. In reality a romantic. To him, folk music glittered like a mound of gold. It did for me, too.”

Until he closed the shop in 1973 to move to Stockholm and start a similar center, Mr. Young reigned supreme as a handicapper (“The first few times I met Dylan, I wasn’t that impressed,” he said. “But as he began writing those great songs, I realized he was really something”); an impresario (he organized hundreds of concerts throughout the city, including Mr. Dylan’s first formal appearance, at the Carnegie Hall complex, as well as performances by the New Lost City Ramblers, Dave Van Ronk, Jean Ritchie and Phil Ochs); and an evangelist who almost single-handedly put the “Folk” in Folk City, the storied Village nightclub.

He was also a writer, with a regular column in Sing Out!; a broadcaster, with a folk music show on WBAI in New York; an agitator (in 1961, he helped organize successful public protests after the city banned folk music from Washington Square Park); a ferocious keeper of the castle (“He was even known to throw people out of his store,” Dick Weissman, a former member of the folk group the Journeymen, wrote, “simply because they irritated him”); and an equally ferocious defender of the faith. (Mr. Young repudiated Mr. Dylan after he began wielding an electric guitar in the mid-’60s.)

If, at the end of the day, the Folklore Center was a less-than-successful capitalist enterprise — who, after all, goes into folk music to get rich? — it scarcely mattered. Joni Mitchell was discovered there. Peter found Mary there, after seeing her photo on a wall. (Paul joined them soon afterward.) Mr. Van Ronk, then the more established musician, met the newly arrived Mr. Dylan there and invited him to take the stage at the nearby Gaslight Cafe.

Mr. Young, in short, was the original folknik — quite literally, for it was he who had coined the term, in the late 1950s, as attested by the Oxford English Dictionary.

Israel Goodman Young was born on March 26, 1928, on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and reared in the Bronx. His parents, Philip and Pola, were Jewish immigrants from Poland.

As a youth, Izzy spent most of his time, he later said, “trying to avoid committing myself to anything.”

Then, while a student at the Bronx High School of Science, he was smitten by folk dancing, becoming a member of the American Square Dance Group. The company, founded in New York by the folklorist and teacher Margot Mayo, revived traditional dances of many kinds.

The dances led him to folk music, and he was soon collecting books on the subject. He attended Brooklyn College but did not finish.

In the mid-1950s, after working for several years at Borough Park Shomer Shabbos, the bakery his father had established in Brooklyn, Mr. Young became a dealer in rare folk-music books. His private clients included Harry Belafonte and Burl Ives.

He opened the Folklore Center in April 1957, and it quickly became a mecca for pleasurable activity of all kinds.

“Drugs weren’t allowed,” Mr. Young told the newspaper The Weekend Australian in 2013. “But every time you opened the toilet door a big cloud of purple smoke would waft out.”

In the early 1960s, Mr. Young persuaded a Village restaurateur, Mike Porco, to emphasize folk musicians at his establishment, Gerdes. They proved such a success that the restaurant’s name was changed to Gerdes Folk City and eventually simply to Folk City.

Over the years, Folk City featured the likes of Mr. Dylan, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Tom Paxton and Muddy Waters. It closed in 1987.

In 1961, Mr. Young helped spearhead a protest known in the press as the Beatnik Riot. That year, the New York City Parks Department, under pressure from conservative groups and real estate interests, banned folk musicians from Washington Square Park. The park, in the heart of the Village, had been a traditional gathering and performing place for musicians since the 1940s.

With the Rev. Howard R. Moody, the minister of the nearby Judson Memorial Church, Mr. Young formed the Right to Sing Committee. On April 9, 1961, as scores of New York City police officers looked on, the committee staged a protest in the park, with hundreds of musicians marching and singing.

“I have everybody singing ‘The Star Spangled Banner,’ ” Mr. Young told NPR in 2011. “I said, ‘They can’t hit us on the head while we’re doing that.’ ”

The committee held more demonstrations in the weeks that followed but could not stop the State Supreme Court from upholding the city’s ban later that spring. In July, however, an appellate court lifted the ban, and the park was once more awash in folk music.

The Folklore Center moved to Sixth Avenue in 1965. Eight years later, after being transfixed by traditional Swedish fiddle music, Mr. Young closed the store and relocated to Stockholm, where he opened the Folklore Centrum.

There, as in New York, he led a threadbare existence. In 2014, Mr. Young put up for auction at Christie’s the manuscripts of two obscure early songs by Mr. Dylan: “Talking Folklore Center,” about the old Macdougal Street establishment, and “Go Away You Bomb,” about nuclear disarmament. Both failed to meet their reserve price and were not sold.

The Folklore Centrum remained open and active for more than four decades; Mr. Young was presenting concerts there as late as the spring of 2018. But that November the center announced that it would be closing at the end of the month “due to Izzy’s age.”

The announcement said that Mr. Young’s daughter, Ms. Grandin, a Swedish actress, had “spent the last few months cataloging and packing up Izzy’s vast folklore library” and hoped to sell it “as one collection to any interested parties.”

“It’s sad to close the place,” Ms. Grandin said at the time, “but it has been a beautiful ride and it’s so nice to see all the love and music that Izzy is still surrounded with.”

In addition to Ms. Grandin, Mr. Young is survived by a son, Thilo Egenberger, and three grandchildren.

Mr. Young was the subject of a documentary, “Izzy Young: Talking Folklore Center” (1989), directed by Jim Downing. His Sing Out! columns and other articles were anthologized in “The Conscience of the Folk Revival: The Writings of Israel ‘Izzy’ Young” (2013), edited by Scott Barretta.

Perhaps Mr. Young’s most memorable achievement came in presenting Mr. Dylan’s first New York concert, at Carnegie Chapter Hall — a space of about 200 seats above what is now Weill Recital Hall, on West 57th Street — on Nov. 4, 1961. The program included Woody Guthrie’s “1913 Massacre” and Roy Acuff’s “Freight Train Blues.”

Though the concert is now considered a landmark, Mr. Young, who charged $2 a ticket, lost money.

“There were only 53 people there,” he told an interviewer in 2004. “Now 3,000 people remember it well.”

3. Tribute

4. Tribute

5. Tribute

A very close friend of mine, who prefers to remain anonymous, was right there in the Greenwich Village scene, and arrived in town just before Dylan. She became a close friend of his and he invited her to his first Columbia studio session, so (as he told her) he would have someone to sing to besides his girlfriend Suze.

I like the scene she described to me once. Off hand I forget the venue.

It was an open mike night where musicians passed the hat for money.

Bob Dylan was on stage doing his number. My friend was second in line to play after Dylan. Richie Havens was in front of her. While she was waiting, Tim Hardin came up, tapped her on the shoulder to say hello.

That scene to me is like magic.

Young Timmy:

[​IMG]

Young Richie:

[​IMG]

I am so sad that these two beautiful cats are gone. My friend is still here and I talk to her most every week.

moople72, anth67, redsock and 8 others like this.
  6. Tribute

To me, this thread can also include discussion of the Greenwich Village scene in Dylan's time there. As documentation of Dylan's performances in this era are pretty thin, I think it is also good to have a broader sense of the world around Young Bob.

Check this web page

New York Icons: Greenwich Village

I don't know this photo date. Who is a car expert?

[​IMG]

7. Tribute

Bob in front of the Folklore Center (see previous posts)

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  8. Tribute

Bob was probably there that day

Protest in Washington Square Park in 1961
    [​IMG]
    Photo Credit: Newsday / Dick Kraus
    Folklorist Israel Young leads a protest against a ban on folk music in Washington Square Park on April 9, 1961. Protest signs read "Folk singers here, not Long Island."

trumpet sounds and adamos like this.
  9. Tribute

But a few years later, my guess is that Bob had a hard time going out in public and was probably not here

Folk singers in Washington Square Park in 1964
    [​IMG]
    Photo Credit: Bob Luckey
    Folk singers gathered in Washington Square Park on Aug. 2, 1964.

10. Tribute

Look who was playing.

Bill Cosby and Tom Paxton

[​IMG]

11. Tribute

12. Tribute

13. Tribute

One of my all-time favorites.

Mississippi John Hurt 1963

I bet Bob was there if he was in town (likely)

[​IMG]

14. Tribute

Bob was probably there this night too

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. Tribute

You can see they chaned the sign over the door. My guess is that this was the later sign, but unsure

[​IMG]

16. Tribute

This was at the Carnegie Hall Hootenany on September 22, 1962

That solves my earlier question about the Carnegie appearances (big hall or small rooms)

So we had 1961, 1962, 1963, 1965 and two Guthrie tributes in 1968.

Nothing else in 50 years at Carnegie.

[​IMG]

Crispy Rob likes this.
  17. Tribute

Folk music in Washington Square Park June 1962.

Maybe Bob was there

[​IMG]

Reader likes this.
  18. Tribute

I wonder why this poster did not mention Bob Dylan. Maybe they were worried about legal issues

[​IMG]

CCrider92 and Reader like this.
  19. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

My dad says he was at Dylan’s first performance in NY at the NYU Student Center.
    The small crowd was disinterested at first (which seems pretty standard for the time) but by the end was standing on their chairs.

This website makes a reference to it but there are no details.
    A Bob Dylan Timeline

Tribute and adamos like this.
  20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Tribute, this is a wonderful thread. Please keep posting all the NYC pics even if nobody famous is in them. I've been enjoying some of the early 60's folk music more lately so I was surprised to see this thread. Wouldn't it be great to go back for one day to soak in the atmosphere and just feel the energy of the time?

21. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Was this the same poster that briefly hung in the River Street Beat Shop in Troy ? (that i wanted to buy but the owner said someone else had claimed it)

22. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I have a Dylan recording claiming to be a 1962 performance at a club called “Bill and Lena’s” in Rochester NY. Not sure if this is accurate or not. Was not this the orig. name of (the still operating) “Caffe Lena” in Saratoga Springs, NY , where we know Dylan played?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  23. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Their site still lists it that way.

24. Tribute

If the owner, Jimmy Barrett, had the real thing, I seriously doubt he would have hung it in the window.

But I do know that Jimmy attended that 1965 Troy/RPI concert

25. Tribute

I have never heard of such a recording in circulation, whether in Rochester or Saratoga Springs. My guess is that it is some other recording passed off as being from Lena's. But maybe....

Anyone else comment?