Bob Dylan - The Lyrics: Since 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gst510, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. gst510

More info http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/10/07/own-bob-dylans-lyrics-since-1962-for-200/

Bob Dylan
    ’s lyrics will no longer be blowin’ in the wind. Simon & Schuster announced today that it will publish the first definitive collection of the singer-songwriter’s lyrics on Oct. 28. “The Lyrics: Since 1962,” will clock in at more than 1,000 pages, with full-color album art and extensive annotations.

The book was a collaboration between Mr. Dylan and a group of editors led by Boston University professor Sir Christopher Ricks. It will trace the development of the song lyrics over the years, from original compositions to later revisions in recorded songs and live performances. Mr. Dylan, whose 2004 memoir, “Chronicles: Volume One,” was a bestseller, has sold over 125 million albums worldwide.

“This book changes things, giving us the words from officially released studio and live recordings, as well as selected variant lyrics and revisions to these, recent revisions and retrospective ones; and, from the archives, words that, till now, have not been published,” said Mr. Ricks in a statement.

Simon & Schuster has positioned the book as a collector’s item. The publisher has planned just one printing of 3,000 copies for “The Lyrics,” and the books will retail for $200 each. In addition, 50 boxed copies will be signed by Mr. Dylan and offered through a dedicated website for $5,000 each.

“Bob Dylan is one of the most important artists of our time,” said Simon & Schuster president and publisher Jonathan Karp, who acquired the book. “His work is sometimes compared to Shakespeare’s, and when I held this book in my hands, I couldn’t help thinking that what Christopher Ricks and his colleagues have produced will come to be regarded as the First Folio of Dylan studies.”

IronWaffle likes this.
  3. gst510

Also looks like there might be a non limited version released next year for under $50.

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I hope they do print a less expensive, less "deluxe," version a little later. I'm unfortunately not in a position to buy both this and the Basement Tapes set that's coming out next month.

I am interested in what Ricks did as an editor, though. It will be interesting to have an accounting of the variant readings in the officially released canon. You get some of that on the dylanchords.info site, but it's haphazard (although that site also attempts to at least give tabs and chords for how Dylan has played the songs as songs--a big missing step for some future edition of the songs--although how would you annotate the vocal approach?).

L.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    IronWaffle likes this.
  5. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

$200 dollars for the book, $5,000 for book and Dylan's autograph, WOW. Makes me think I received a bargain when I purchased the Genesis Publication issues of Songs Of George Harrison Vol. 1 & 2 many years ago. They also came with cd's of unreleased music.

6. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

7. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

Has anyone seen a screenshot of an actual page inside this volume?

8. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Pre-ordered.

9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Ordered

rstamberg likes this.
  10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That's the $200 question right now. This book appeals to me, but even with Amazon "only" charging about $125 for it, it's still a big purchase amid Basement Tapes & Beatles Mono & Harrison/McCartney reissues and so on.

If it were truly limited to 3000 copies and wasn't going to be available next year for $40 or so, I'd jump on it. But the websites showing it with an October 2015 release for a reasonable price make me a little reticent to pull the plug on this...

11. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Ive never cared much for the lyric books, especially when the printed versions vary so much
    from the recorded versions. I always had to transcribe them myself to get what I wanted out of them.

This book has the potential to be very readable though....later at a bargain price.

Hopefully they add "g's" to all those learnin' and yearnin' and livin's.
    (I'm not a fan of the hokey spellings he used in the early 1960's.)

HominyRhodes likes this.
  12. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I am confused, is this limited to 3000 copies?

13. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Several sites say the $200 version is part of a limited run. The NYTimes article says 3500 (w/500 allocated to the UK). But quite a few sites list an October 2015 version of the same book for far less (under $40): http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Lyrics/Bob-Dylan/9781451648768?id=6129590146185

A little bit of mixed up confusion there, if you ask me.

14. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I would like to know is if the contents are the same in both editions... Is there any way to find out?
    Having to wait for a year sucks though... I'll be looking at amazon marketplace and places like that and sigh wistfully, knowing I can't possibly afford that beautiful monster...

15. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I don't see why the contents would differ. Hopefully we'll just get a more cheaply printed version. A big, fat, paperback edition for around $40 would suit me just fine.

L.

16. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Yeah, that would be common sense, but the cheaper edition is described as a hardback, and with fewer pages... :confused:

17. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I got the email from S&S a couple days ago, I am on the fence on this one.... But, at only 50 signed copies they are probably already gone. I have some of his signed art work, and a few other items, this just looks like something that would be great to have in the collection... Anyway you look at it $120.00 is a great price at Amazon, and 3000 copies should go fast I think.

I didn't see anything about different versions that some are talking about (?)
    I know the signed copies will come in a boxed slip case, and have gold end pages..
    Anyone taken the plunge on the signed copy yet ?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  18. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

At five grand each you just might get "lucky".

Sordel likes this.
  19. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

US Amazon was down to $120 about a week ago. Now the price is $134.59. Sure wish we could see sample pages from inside the book.

20. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

Bummed that I missed it at $120, but upon reading it was limited to 3,000, I preordered at the current price. Hopefully it drops again before it ships. It'll be nice to have something to read along with with I get my Basement Tapes a week later.

21. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

I ordered it when it was around $127. When the price dropped to $120, my order was changed accordingly. I'm anxious to know how much value the annotations add to the product. For the price, I sure hope they're worth something.

22. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

There may be conflicting reports, but I don't *think* there will be annotations here. When news of this originally broke (I believe in Isis), it was supposed to feature Ricks' annotations, but that project was apparently cancelled in favor of this more wide-reaching Ricks-edited version. We'll see soon enough, I suppose.

23. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

My understanding is that annotations track changes in lyrics as they evolved through live renditions.

24. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

Abbey Road likes this.
  25. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.