Bob Dylan - The Lyrics: Since 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gst510, Oct 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

Not the hundreds of songs he's written but never sung, at least not into a tape recorder. :)

2. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

And there's that, too!

L.

3. Abbey Road

Amazon promises I'll have it on Tuesday, I wonder when they'll ship and if I may get it earlier. If someone sees that their copy has shipped, please share it with the group. Think I'm going to scalp-a-scalper and see Bob live tonight. Box office has tons of seats, so people holding tickets should be sufficiently desperate for me to get a nice deal under cover price.

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Abbey Road

No e-book has been announced. Any sights showing one are linking to an older Dylan lyrics book.

5. ceevert

ceevert Forum Resident

Much as I dislike shipping notices posts, mine shipped from Barnes & Noble yesterday with a Tuesday delivery date.

6. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

7. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

If anybody is still interested and has the money to spare, the book (both ISBNs) is still available at Amazon.De, as mentioned above, but is also up for sale and in stock at the Book Depository.com (more expensive than Amazon Germany though)!

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

9. kiddwidd

kiddwidd Well-Known Member

I ordered this from Alibris.com after it sold out on Amazon.com and just got a cancellation notice from the seller because apparently they don't have or won't be getting the book. I've now ordered it from BarnesandNoble.com. Really hoping they don't cancel on me too.

Considering placing another order at Rakuten.com but I know nothing about how reputable that site is.

10. mrjinks

Rakuten used to be buy.com if that helps. Good luck!

11. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I ordered my copy of the limited (unsigned) edition directly from the publisher the day it was announced. Glad I did. I can't afford the signed version, and even if I could, I'd have a hard time justifying the price. As far as I can tell, all the additional $4800 gets you is a slipcase, Bob's autograph and a certificate of authenticity. The least they could have done was add leather binding, and perhaps some handwritten lyrics.

Carserguev likes this.
  12. Bob Borgen

Bob Borgen Forum Resident

Am I the first person to receive a copy? Hard to believe -- it was waiting for me at home this evening. I have quite a few $100+ books -- and I have to say this is a beautiful one. Only a 7 page introduction -- but very nice large reproductions of the album covers (front and back) and nice large print -- with each song on a page of its own. In most cases the page opposite the "lyrics" page is blank -- (except in cases where lyric variations are listed) -- so perhaps the book could have been nearly cut in half (if they had put lyrics on both pages as you read the book) -- all in all, this is a spare but beautiful layout.

13. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

Thanks for the review. Please provide some photos if possible!

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Can you tell us if it includes any of the previously unpublished Basement Tapes songs and/or the new "Lost on the River" ones?

15. kiddwidd

kiddwidd Well-Known Member

16. Nightowl

Nightowl Forum Resident

17. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

I really wonder how it will compare against the "older" book of lyrics (1962-2001)

18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

First impressions:

Ol' Black Bascom is back! (No, I didn't just make an inexplicable racist comment there, but instead just observing that the new book has retained the notorious transcription of "Tell Me Mama" from previous editions-- and I suspect others but I haven't verified that yet) No excuse for that, as Heylin's Revolution in the Air/Still on the Road documented many of the worst earlier transcriptions in print years ago, and should have been consulted when researching & editing this book.

Looks like this isn't a completely "from scratch" volume, but instead (as we could have probably guessed) an update and expansion of the previous editions of the book.

Not only are many (not all, by any means) of the right side pages blank, but so are many of the left ones. Thumbing thru, it seemed like there were sections with six or more blank pages in a row. Perhaps the introduction (which I haven't read yet) explains that, but for now it seems outright bizarre to me. Never the less, the physical production values on the book seem impressive (as well they should, at the price they're charging) , and I like the broad swath of live variants and Bootleg Series songs it includes (up to Another Self Portrait, so no Basement Tapes Complete tracks that weren't in earlier editions, nor Lost on the River songs). I haven't had time to look too closely, but the handful of new transcriptions I looked at seemed reasonable. Hoping to dive into it more tonight, but it'll be competing with the new George RR Martin book for my attention!

An eventual paperback edition will not only be vastly more affordable, but also probably more manageable. It's sheer size makes it hard to read without setting it on a desk or table.

On the whole, can't say I feel like it was money entirely well spent. Maybe that will change as I spend more time with it.

19. mrjinks

So does this finally include "I Don't Want To Do It", the Bobsong that Harrison issued in the 80s, and which has never appeared in previous editions of his print "Lyrics" books (and also still isn't on his website)? I seem to recall they said they were going to include a bunch of songs not previously covered, and that seems like a good one to look for, to see how close they were on the "attention to detail" measure...

20. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I'll check when I get back home (should be within the hour or so).

mrjinks likes this.
  21. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

"I don't Want To Do It" is NOT included. In fact, aside from albums and Bootleg Series releases that came out after the previous Lyrics book, it's not immediately obvious to me that ANY other stray songs were added (not including variant lyrics from live albums, etc). I'll update if further perusals reveal otherwise.

HominyRhodes and mrjinks like this.
  22. mrjinks

Thanks for checking. I've never understood why that song was never "recognized" by the Dylan camp. It was one thing when it was languishing on an obscure movie soundtrack, but now that it's been "promoted" to being worthy of inclusion on the Harrison Estate's definitive "greatest hits" collection, it's absence from the "comprehensive" collection of Dylan lyrics seems ... puzzling.

23. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Well, the early reviews don't get me too excited about getting suckered in by the limited edition thing. Was hoping this would be amazing. I still like the idea of having all the lyrics at my fingertips but might could of saved money and got an earlier version. Drats!

24. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I'm getting mighty discouraged too... :(

Maybe I'd better think about the Residential Home tax, due in 1 month... :sigh:

Jgirar01 likes this.
  25. crimpies

crimpies Forum Resident

I know right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.