Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just to correct the formatting issues some people were encountering (or did that get resolved in 1.1? I’ve held off on repurchasing until that I know for sure).

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Percy Song and RayS like this.
  2. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

:shake: Isn't it tiresome when "the only Dylanologist worth reading" won't listen to the evidence....?

revolution_vanderbilt and RayS like this.
  3. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

Kind of like questioning the authority of the pope, but worse.

4. Waymore Lonesome

seriously though, you ever get in a heated discussion with a Dylan nerd? awful. It's like arguing over an ex girlfriend, oh you don't know Bob Dylan like I know Bob Dylan.

majorlance and MRamble like this.
  5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

How (not) to win friends and influence people....:laughup:

6. Waymore Lonesome

I say that as full Dylan geek myself, I've long since realised that if Bob Dylan ever saw me at his hotel, he'd be running from his limo and rightly so. I used to like to think that Bob would be like woah bro you get it man, now let's go smoke some weed together and be friends.

MRamble and bobcat like this.
  7. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

I hope they do more releases like the live 66 box as maybe a separate series from the bootleg series. Now that we know they have been doing soundboard tapes for net since 1988 and are thinking of a net set I hope they don't try to cover the whole tour with one set. The net needs to be broken up with several sets covering different era. The g.e smith era needs it's own set 1988 to February 1990 in England is one of my favorite dylan periods . The London shows in February 1990 would make an amazing release on its own. I love Dylan's voice in this period not then a lot of other periods. A a set for the acoustic band period would be a must. Another favorite period of mine is 96 to 99. Love Dylan's voice during that period too and I love the raw electric guitar based almost stones like arrangements in that period. That period needs it's own box. Or something like an el rey based set. 2000 to mid 2002 is great as well and needs it own set. I also love the fall 2002 and 2003 dylan at the piano tours. Those London 2003 shows are amazing and could make a great set. After 2003 I lose interest mostly with the exception of the dublin and London shows in 2005 which are some personal favorites of mine.

Scott6, Hep Alien, NewWarden and 3 others like this.
  8. Adam Ryan Watson.

Dylan always seems to play legendary and musically awesome and energetic shows when he plays in Britain especially London. He is really great in europe in general. He seems to play amazing shows in the fall more so as well. That's all just my opinion of course. Anyone else feel that way?

Blue Note likes this.
  9. Adam Ryan Watson.

I would love a full 1981 live box set as it is one of my favorite years behind 1966 and the 75 to 76 rolling thunder tours. It's my third favorite tour i guess. The musicians on that tour are amazing.

10. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Sounds like they could use you as a consultant on these projects.

Hep Alien and Bevok like this.
  11. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Personally I would include up to May-June 1990 at least. There is a little known mini-tour after the recording of Wilbury 3 through Canada I think where Dylan is in really fine fettle, in much better voice than earlier in the year. After that jaunt a little less consistent the rest of the year to my ears, with GE on autopilot more than in the years previous.

Waymore Lonesome likes this.
  12. Adam Ryan Watson.

Wow those shows pretty cool never have heard them I will have to check those out. Thank you for the tip.

misterbozz likes this.
  13. Waymore Lonesome

October 89 through the end of GE Smiths run a year later is my all time favourite Dylan. Only period where I've got every show that I've ever seen posted. Magic.

14. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Anyone in this thread know the best price going right now for the Complete Albums CD set? eBay is filled with likely bootlegs.

I keep getting tempted to buy BS13 but I just HAVE to get his studio albums collected first or I’d feel silly :wave:

(Side note I found the Mono set for a great deal at my local the other day and snagged it up!)

15. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Slowly digesting this set. Listened to Earl's Court for the first time. I have not heard a 1981 show previously. First impressions:
    Interesting new arrangements of Serve Somebody and Slow Train. More straight forward, less funky. I do prefer the 79-80 versions though.
    Agree that Girl from the North country is wonderful. Otherwise, the older songs do not blow my mind here. Tambourine Man nice though, I have a special feeling for that one.
    All in all, very good, but not consistently great concert, IMO.
    Toronto 80 still my fave full show from this set.

NumberEight likes this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

For various reasons, I opted for the 2-CD version of Trouble No More. Can anyone nutshell how this 2-CD is curated relative to the deluxe versions? I'm sure that this question has already been asked, so apologies - I just don't have time to wade through 358 pages to possibly find an answer. And please, no need to mention the San Diego show; I know what I'm missing there.

17. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

It's identical to the first two disks of the deluxe set. An overview selection of live recordings from the '79-'81 tours. What you're missing are the two disks of rehearsals, soundchecks, and studio outtakes, plus the "best of" compilation of multitracks from the Toronto April '80 run of shows and the Earl's Court London show from '81.

L.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Mr. Explorer and Archtop like this.
  18. Archtop

Anything subjective to add?

EDIT: Never mind. I just continued listening and figured out why I bought the 2-CD comp. I'm out. Some of this is just awful. And I worship Dylan.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  19. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I just added a little more detail to the original post, but in terms of subjective reactions, I'd say that while the 2 disk version does give you a pretty good taste of what the shows were like, it does leave out some real gems. The biggest loss is the pair of disks from the Toronto '80 shows, which is the real highlight of this set. To me it's one of the great Dylan live sets. For me, the two studio/rehearsal disks are spotty, but there are some things on there that any Dylan fan should have ("Making a Liar Out of Me," the rehearsals of "Caribbean Wind" and "Every Grain of Sand," the outtakes of "The Groom's Still Waiting at the Altar," "Watered Down Love," "Shot of Love," "Dead Man, Dead Man," the studio recording of "Cover Down, Pray Through"). The Earl's Court show remains a little disappointing to me, since I think that there were better '81 shows they could have chosen. It's an uneven show, although the handful highlights are terrific, and it's nice to get at least a taste of the return of the secular repertoire. At the very least, the versions of "Girl from the North Country" and "Ballad of a Thin Man" are worth a separate download.

L.

jay.dee, Hep Alien, adamos and 2 others like this.
  20. Archtop

I get all of this, but listening further annoys me. I appreciate your responses, but I'm very much done with this one.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You must have the SUPER super deluxe version. :)

DeeThomaz and stewedandkeefed like this.
  22. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Woops! From Buffalo, 1980, of course.....

L.

RayS likes this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I listened to it again this morning after I read your post (So easy to just tell Alexa to play it). Powerful song!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  24. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Well, no way around that! Just curious: is it the performances, the material, or the recording quality that puts you off? I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm interested in your point of view.

L.

25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I think it might be my favorite song from this period--or at least it's the most compelling among the songs that were new to me, and ranks with the others I'd put at the top of my list. In the Toronto version, especially.

L.

RayS likes this.