Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

I've seen a few clips on Youtube, which were amazing! Pressing On, When He Returns, and Solid Rock.

SteveM and Fender Relic like this.
  2. dee

dee Senior Member

Thank You for posting, replying. Exactly and much more of the kind of explanation and insight I was wondering about. Thanks again. Sorry, I missed reading your reply, until today.

lschwart likes this.
  3. Yes, there’s a 2 disc version -you can’t really go wrong with any of the 2 disc versions of the Bootleg Series.

The deluxe box set with the bonus concert is revelatory though and yields an incredible amount of quality. Keep it on your wish list.

4. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Glad you saw it and found it useful!

L.

dee likes this.
  5. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

We were lucky to get this before the Bootleg Series went cheap

SteveM and enro99 like this.
  6. ilistentoallkinds

Praise the Lord, I have just listened to the 1st CD of the 8-disc, 1 DVD edition of this set that I received several days ago, and even just this one disc, alone, is musically mind-blowing!!! I would have listened to it sooner, but I've been waiting, partially for Holy Week, as the lyrics do personally speak to me, as a Catholic convert. I was a convinced atheist for years though, so I do "get" both the passionate lovers and the fierce detractors of this era of Dylan! :) (And, of course, I know that many atheists love this period of Dylan, and some Christians hate it!)

I would say, though, to all Dylan fans, no matter what you believe, you owe it to yourself, as a genuine musical gift to yourself, to seriously listen to at least some of these powerful live performances! So many of them are so much better than the studio versions of these songs that it's almost beyond belief (pun intended there)! I have never heard Dylan rock harder that he does on the "Solid Rock" of Disc 1 of this set. The version of "In the Garden" which closes out the disc is just so passionate and beautiful.

If the rest of this set is anywhere near as good as what I have just heard on Disc 1, then it was well worth it, to me, to pay $150 for this set, because music this great and powerful is beyond a monetary price. I suspect that I will not only enjoy this box set, but even be personally sustained by all that it brings to me, for years and years to come. Thank you, Bob-- and yes, in the spirit of this music, and logically speaking, I have to say, thanks to the One Who. without Whom, Bob would have never written and performed these songs! I just wish that the gospel studio albums (which I do love) were half as rocking, incendiary, and beautiful as these live performances! :goodie:

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Ordered a “used - very good” copy of the deluxe version from Amazon UK today for £40 (there are still 2 copies in stock)

Looking forward to getting this one. Think I’ll spend this year completing my bootleg series collection.

Next Year's Man and Almost Simon like this.
  8. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

Yes. Atheist here who loves this period of Dylan. All the religious imagery doesn't irritate me one bit, but find it fascinating instead. I'm also a big U2 fan and it's the same with some of their songs. I dig the (sometimes very subtle) references to their Christian background. For this Dylan period, my interest is less in the subject matter itself, but in how it is all executed. And he was on fire! The passion in his performances really take some songs to a next level.

I only got this set a few weeks ago. So having listened to everything already, I'm still digesting it. And I can tell you you're in for a treat. :) Enjoy!

9. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I was looking at that earlier, couldnt tell if it was definitely the 8cd version, are you happy thats confirmed on the order?

10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I just went off that it was linked to the listing for the 8 CD version. Hopefully I’m correct. If not I’ll just return it.

Almost Simon likes this.
  11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Great deal

12. ilistentoallkinds

YES! The execution of these songs is just electrifying! Before I bought this large and beautiful set, I kept reading/hearing fellow Dylan fans passionately proclaiming that this was more just another compilation of Dylan live numbers/concerts (and believe me, as a serious fan, I have no problem with "just another set" of Dylan concerts!).

However, this set is something else entirely. These performances are at least as passionate and rocking, and some of them are even more so, than the justly famed 1966 concerts! I knew, based on the acclaim from fans, that I would be getting some great, passionate music with the purchase of this box. I did not know, however, that I would be getting a furious, ecstatic, gospel-punk-soul rave-up on the level of the first disc's "Solid Rock!" That performance, alone, makes the first disc a must for serious Dylan fans, and it's far from being the only truly great performance on that one CD alone!

I cannot wait to hear the other seven discs and to watch and hear the DVD! :goodie: I have the distinct sense that this box is going to be a bounty of musical riches such as I have only rarely heard in my life (and I've heard a good amount of truly great music in my 40-plus years in this world, from J.S. Bach to Hank Williams, Sr. to Joy Division, and more)!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

just received my "used - very good" deluxe set from Amazon UK. (original delivery estimate was Thursday so its a great surprise to receive it already).

It is a still sealed yet but the outer box is pretty beat up, looks like it has been crushed. The 2 books and discs are in perfect condition. For £40 I'm not making any complaints at all.

14. I played the two Toronto discs again last night - I've always maintained that THIS is the absolute pinnacle of Dylan's live performances - absolutely mind-blowing, exciting, emotionally engaging, hairs on the back of neck stuff.

If you haven't heard it yet, I envy your first listening experience.

BS 13 is destined to become my favourite.

15. The two Toronto discs are amazing, for my money better than any of the others. He was on fire. An album called "Solid Rock" was planned prior to the Saved album coming out, and it was due to contain all new songs performed in Toronto from these shows. No wonder really. I'm glad we've got 2 CDs and a DVD instead of a single 1980 LP though!

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just finished disc 1. What a fantastic set, these really are some of his best ever performances.

I couldn’t get disc 6 to accurately rip on DB Poweramp or XLD but fingers crossed it plays through ok.

17. ilistentoallkinds

At this point, I have only seen/heard a few clips from those shows on Youtube, but those amazing clips were definitely a factor in my deciding to buy this large Deluxe edition! :righton: I am really, really looking forward to hearing the two Toronto discs, but I've decided to listen to the 8 discs in order, so it will probably be a little while before I get to them. Thus far though, I'm absolutely loving the journey through this box! :D

18. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I'm not sure if this has been posted here yet, but a brief clip with Chris Shaw about some of his restoration work on Trouble No More (a kind of promo piece for the software, but worth a watch for the process).

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Thanks for sharing this. This is really interesting because there is a prevalence of stray percussion on the 2-track recordings, which I mentioned (probably on this very thread) way back when. So another reason why the multi-track stuff sounds so good (besides the obvious ones).

20. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

That program is an amazing tool. I'm shocked that the basic repair and rebalance functions are available in the $29 version. I might have to get one to try on some of my less that usable live recordings....

L.

brianvargo, subtr and RayS like this.
  21. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I had bought the 2CD version a while ago. Still sealed, though. I am working my way through Bob's catalogue, given the fact that I am a recent fan. I know, I am late to the party. But I really like the three gospel-albums. And because of the very positive and enthusiastic replies in this thread, I ordered the full box. Received it today. I am looking forward to listen to it.

22. You did the right thing! Enjoy it and let us know what you think. The 2CD version is a missed opportunity and for once really manages to omit the prime material from this period. Its not a great representation in the way previous BS releases were.

I would say the 2CD version or indeed discs 1 and 2 of the box are my least favourite with Toronto discs being in first place closely followed by discs 3 and 4 which contain the real essence of what's missing from the 2CD set. Discs 3 and 4 contain so many previously unreleased gems from the studio, they would have made a much more essential primer for the big box.

23. ilistentoallkinds

I'm moving slowly through this big set, in order to really savor it, but I'm on disc 2 now and loving the continued passion, energy, and beauty! :goodie:

The opening version of "Slow Train" on the second disc set has such a cool groove, and "Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody" is a deeply committed performance (nice melody too!) that might rankle some people, but it cannot be denied that in such songs and performances, Dylan was writing, singing, and playing from a place of personal honesty (about what he believes) and deep passion. Actually, when I really listen carefully to the words of "Ain't Gonna Go," he's not pointing fingers at others in this song, so much as he is being brutally honest about his own flaws, which I love!

The second disc's version of "Gotta Serve Somebody" seriously rocks, and is so much better than the good studio version, but then, I'm starting to repeat myself with that sentiment in these comments, so I'm going to just go back to listening and checking out the essays! :winkgrin:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  24. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

I really love certain stretches on the two studio-outtake CDs (3 and 4). Really liking the piano version of "Gotta Serve" right now. One fly in the ointment is that I keep thinking of absent friends--piano "Shot of Love," B side "Trouble in Mind," other alternate takes that should be here.

25. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Bob - always a visionary. You know, I'd take "Ain't Gonna Go To Hell For Anybody" as my life's motto right now. Gimme the medicine and I'll walk out bravely with God on my side.