Bob Dylan Vinyl Box Set - the Original Mono Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turntable, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

? Only works out at 123.55 to Ireland with postage included. Where do you get 148 from ?

2. heliocentric

heliocentric Forum Resident

The difference was a customs deposit.

3. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That’s the odd thing. Although I was charged this the first time I ordered it, no customs are being collected this time were I to order another copy. And the poster above has written that he received his for 120 pounds with no customs collected or imposed.

@erifles

4. erifles

erifles Well-Known Member

I originally ordered it through the Amazon Global Store on the 25th April (Import Duty included at payment plus £15 delivery) for about £185. Two weeks later it still wasn't dispatched and Amazon cancelled without reason. At the time of order I think only 1 was in stock so you may have got my copy!

If I told you how much I paid for the Pink Floyd Early Years box set from Amazon you'd think I was a right jammy git!

5. heliocentric

Same here, If I order a second copy then there isn't any duty?!? So I've cancelled this first just to see what happens.

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Honestly, have no idea what they’re playing at. I wish I was in a position to buy a second copy, as this is an amazing price.

Hitherto, anything I ordered via Amazon Global, Irish or UK customs duties were collected at source.

heliocentric likes this.
  7. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

God, this box set is so good. Just jaw-dropping, mind-blowing good. Wow.

Does anyone have Discogs links to the MOV pressings that are (virtually?) identical to these box set pressings? In case I ever damage one of my records in the future and need to pick up a replacement. These might be my new desert island picks.

8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, there’s one there, for example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bringing-A...ateway&sprefix=Bringing+it+all,aps,176&sr=8-1

9. heliocentric

Mine arrived yesterday.... no customs fees, so even cheaper than I expected

10. culabula

culabula Unread author.

This is most passing strange ! Again, did it actually come from the States or was it perhaps expedited by a European Amazon ?

I cannot fathom why they would suddenly abandon this policy of collection taxes on behalf of the relevant destination country's Revenue Commissioners or how such a massive parcel could get past collecting authorities at point of entry.

11. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Just got it from Amazon, what a fantastic box set, such a beauty :)

[​IMG]

espendo and rednax like this.
  12. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I just ordered one. let's hope i can escape customs.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Is the color of the inner sleeves pink? If not, then it’s probably a repress.

Apologies, was it established that this is a repress?

I bought my box in 2012. The inner sleeves, which I replaced, were those heavy pink plastic things that RTI used at the time. Not only did they leave a film on the records (which was easily cleaned off), but most of the albums had hairlines due to them. Terrible.

14. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I realize I was really late to the party on this, but I tried to order this from Amazon.ca last year, and after about six months, they gave up and told me they were unable to get it. I'm not picky about mono vs. stereo; I just thought this would be a good way to get basically all of his best albums in one shot. I've since bought a 1963 mono pressing of his debut in mono, and stereo re-presses of Highway 61 and 'Blonde on Blonde.' I don't think I'd bother specifically looking for this box set again, especially since I imagine the going price has gone up quite a bit, but I might still get it if I found the right deal. How good is the book?

CBackley likes this.
  15. CBackley

It’s available now on Amazon for quite cheap. $140 USD. The book is excellent.

16. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

This is the one I got, same stamps, Sterling. Clear thick inner sleeves, not pink.

Bob Dylan - The Original Mono Recordings

Tommyboy likes this.
  17. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Aaaaaand, ordered! Thanks for the great tip!

CBackley likes this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

19. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Trivia: Anyone else who's received the repress notice there's no STERLING stamp on Side 2 of the debut record?

20. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Yes. Also, the A & B sides have different RTI metal set numbers. Side B has the lowest in the set, so probably first one cut. Likely just a coincidence that it was the first side cut that is missing the stamp, though, I'd wager.

Also, side B of Times is an Ryan K Smith recut (has a higher RTI number than the rest of the set).

21. CBackley

I put my records in MoFi sleeves because I didn’t like the ones that came with the mono box set. (As others said above, the sleeves seemed to cause little swirl marks to appear on the vinyl.) My box set seems like a pretty tight fit now. Is this normal? I forget if it was a tight fit with the stock plastic sleeves. I like to MoFi sleeves much better, but I don’t want to end up crushing my LPs or anything. I have no idea if that’s something that can damage them. But better safe than sorry?

22. teag

teag Forum Resident

The one I bought around 2011 is somewhat tight but I can easily get the records in and out. Not as tight as the Bill Evans Riverside box. Maybe take the book out?

CBackley likes this.
  23. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I’ve got to thank you again for the tip, CBackley. I ended up buying the set from Amazon.com. It’s even better than I’d hoped. Sony did an outstanding job putting it together. And I got it for about $40 CDN less than the order that Amazon.ca cancelled on me last year! Good times!

CBackley likes this.
  24. CBackley

You’re welcome. I love this set too. It’s one of my best vinyl purchases. Just amazing.

25. lobdale

lobdale Forum Resident

I've never really tried to get into Dylan before but had $35 in Amazon credit and jumped on this at about a cool hundo after the credit... looking forward to taking a swim through them and it sounds like they're fantastic releases thanks to all the comments I've seen here.

Hammerpeg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.