Bob Dylan Vinyl Box Set - the Original Mono Recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turntable, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lobdale

lobdale Forum Resident

I didn't expect it, but my set was numbered (9319) with the clear (non pink) liners and the updated download card from We Are Vinyl. Sounds great!

2. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Are these a bit bright, the way Marino mastered Hendrix stereo reissues are?

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They’re brighter than the Kevin Gray recuts for Sundazed, but I don’t think the sound is tipped. If you own a combination of the Sundazed mono albums or the mono MoFi 45s, this box isn’t a necessary purchase.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  4. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Went digging for this in Europe and the prices I’ve found were generally hiked (250-400 euros).

Found it (and ordered it) for 161 here, if anyone’s interested Original Mono Recordings

englishbob likes this.
  5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

I assume there is only US versions of this boxset, and the version you received from this site had all the RTI stickers on the front?

Would you recommend the site you ordered this from?

6. digreyfox

digreyfox Forum Resident

Not sure on the RTI stickers. I assume it's US, yes, but I will check and share the code when i get a chance.

Regarding the vendor, I have ordered several records from several dodax websites in the last six months (germany, uk, france, netherlands) and it has gone great so far. No issues with the packaging or any hazards,

They do, however ,take a while to arrive, sometimes, to the point where I began wondering they would arrive at all. Everything eventually arrived so far. Unsure how long the longest took, but i believe around 5 weeks was the worst case so far.

mr.dave and englishbob like this.
  7. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Hey Bob,

besides the fact, that the boxset raised up in price: Dodax is - generally spoken - to recommend. NEVER had a problem. However, due to the actual circumstances, my last order took them 3 weeks to deliver...

And sometimes, they have real bargains on their site (last order was Devo ;-)

BTW: just ordered the BD Boxset from a local store for 165 Eur (after checking this forum). Thought I better buy now, as it can't possible get better. And I need more Monos for my new built up Mono player :) I really hope a similar Box for Simon & Garfunkel will show up eventually....

FJFP and englishbob like this.
  8. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Pretty cheap on Amazon right now, $124. I picked up the set.

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. mr.dave

mr.dave Forum Resident

Holy Moly,

I hadn't opened the box for a while, as I was waiting for a new interconnect for my mono set up. Now I have and I am stunned. I love records ever since, but I am very rarely as enthusiastic about a product. This set's the bar pretty high. And this came out even before the Beatles Mono Box???

The Box is like it should be done always. AAA, great sound, great presentation (the sleeves....so great), great book, great pressings (so far), great, great, great. Very happy to buy it. And it's really helping me, getting more into the music! I am even thinking about getting a backup box....

I make look other box sets, as what they really are.... --> not properly done!! This one is. Awesone!

Cheers, D.

10. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Will there be another repress round or was the last one the very last?

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Yes, it is very nice, isn't it.

mr.dave likes this.
  12. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

Agree it is a fantastic set.

mr.dave likes this.
  13. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

Not sure if this is the right place at all for this, but has anybody else heard distortion from the right channel on the early acoustic albums? Sometimes it’s more prominent than others. I’m not sure if that’s just how it was on the tapes, or if it’s due to my setup. I have a Rega Planar 2 with an Exact cart. Anyone else experiencing this?

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Not me

15. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

I picked this up last week and although i've only played freewheelin' it's sounds fantastic!!!
    I'm also very impressed with the packaging.

Cheapest I could find in the UK was $250. It's sold out most places.
    I have seen it advertised for over $450!!

16. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

This mono boxset is as valuable to me as the Beatles one from 2014. It simply sounds fantastic.

17. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Post samples.

18. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Haven’t heard distortion but I’m seem to be getting sibilance on most of these records. Might be my cart but seems extra prominent on these cuts.

19. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I bought my copy of the BD mono vinyl box when a ‘damaged’ copy of the first pressing showed upon Amazon Marketplace a few years ago. Pretty much all of the sleeves are split but, actually, for the price I paid (about £65) I’m happy...

20. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

Well, these are mono tapes, so there can't be distortion on just the right channel on the tape – there's just the one! Possible to introduce during playback, but I suspect they would have gone to the trouble of getting a full-track head for this project, for playback. The cutter head, on the other hand, may well have been stereo (from what I've read here, it's pretty rare to cut with a true mono cutter these days), but I haven't seen any other reports of issues, and haven't noticed any myself.

So my guess would be a setup issue, maybe anti-skate or azimuth – something that might cause the stylus to lose contact with just one groove wall. Come to think of it, I recall having a similar issue with some of the Classic Records Blue Note monos, before dialing back the anti-skate (per Peter Ledermann's method), so maybe give that a try.

astro70 and marcb like this.
  21. Ryan Bedlack

Ryan Bedlack Forum Resident

Yeah that's almost what I was thinking. Unfortunately, there's really no way to adjust the anti-skate on my turntable, so I may have to just live with it until I upgrade my turntable

22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Check your azimuth, check your VTF.

23. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Definitely sounds like an issue with your playback system. There are a couple spots, maybe once or twice per album on these where I get mild distortion for a half second or so, but it’s in both channels and is probably on the tapes, or is my cartridge miss-tracking a little as it usually happens during a loud burst.

...I have to agree with the comment above about this being as great of a set as the Beatles monos. The amount of care put into making these as close as possible to the experience of listening to one of these albums in the 60s is insane. All the way down to exact replica labels (guaranteed high fidelity, 360 sound, and just plain MONO on JWH) to match the years these originally released, to the replica inner sleeves that are exactly what you would have gotten in the 60s, to even the jacket material on Changin’ being a rough textured slick. I have to give praises to that care that was taken to get these right. You don’t see that very often and the only other example I can think of that comes anywhere close would be the Beatles monos. Even those don’t use the old Parlophone inner sleeves like the originals did, but I can’t complain about the poly lined inners those use either.

This box set could actually satisfy one’s need for originals. It almost makes me want to give up getting all the originals but I’ll still get them because I’m a completionist. You could be completely happy with these instead of M- originals, which, good luck finding anything higher than a VG++ of any of these. Not exactly the types of albums that got played on expensive equipment and handled with the utmost care.

24. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Is it time for another reminder to use the MONO switch when playing mono LPs on a stereo playback rig?

25. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

If you have one. I've never seen one on any amp or phono stage I've owned or demo-ed, so I'm out of luck. But it's definitely something I'll be looking for on my next upgrade or addition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.