Bob Dylan- You Changed My Life, Angelina, Caribbean Wind

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

You Changed My Life, Angelina, and Caribbean Wind were all songs that could of been on the album, Shot of Love, IIRC. Three great songs... I wonder why they were left off of Shot of Love. I like Shot of Love, but it gets mixed reviews, maybe these three songs would of improved it's reception among some fans.

2. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Probably not, but I like the songs and like the album.

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Dylan was practicing the fine art of leaving the best songs off of his LPs, and finally perfected the technique when he dropped "Blind Willie McTell" and "Foot of Pride" from INFIDELS.

cc-- likes this.
  4. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I never cared for Carribean Wind. Weak song imo. Just goes nowhere.Hate that swishy sound it does. Sounds silly to me. Like Dylan trying to be hip in the 80's.

Angelina is a masterpiece.. well a minor one. I really like it. Angelina is the only one I can see making the cut. But it didnt fit the style of the lp and it was most likely too long.You changed my life.. maybe. But still too weak of a song and out of character with the album.

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

He also decided not to include "The Groom's Still Waiting At The Alter" on Shot Of Love. I love Bob but he is often not the best judge of his own work. Thank God he had the good sense to include "Every Grain Of Sand." I think he realized that it was a very special song. I love the demo with the barking dog on the first bootleg series!

6. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Yeah Groom is a great song. Very apocolyptic in style. Kind of a later Desolation Row in a way.

7. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

It was added to later pressings of the album. Wasn't it originally a B-side?

8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I believe it was a B side Darcy. Ive always thought Dylan just ran out of room on the lps . Wait, it was added to later "lp" pressings? I guess I didnt realize that.

9. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

"Caribbean Wind" was one he could never get right in the studio. However, he nailed it in its only live performance on November 12, 1980, reportedly at critic Paul Williams's request. (This was his first tour to reintroduce secular songs along with his born-again songs post-conversion.) Dylan introduced the song with a monologue about Leadbelly frustrating his audience's expectations by playing children's songs. "People said oh, why did Leadbelly change? Some people liked the old ones, some people like the new ones. Some people liked both songs. But he didn't change; he was the same man."

A tour and time period that really needs its own Bootleg Series.... He was in great voice, the band was great and lots of good guest stars.

10. RadioClash

RadioClash Senior Member

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I absolutely love Dylan's 'born again trilogy' of Slow Train, Saved, and Shot of Love. Not because I am a Christian, far from it, but because those albums are all so inspired. Just listen to 'I Believe In You' from Slow Train and tell me Dylan cannot sing.... :cool:

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Has this version of "Caribbean Wind" ever made it out on official release?

12. Peter Harrar

Peter Harrar Senior Member

Nope. There's also apparently a Fall 1980 studio version that Clinton Heylin says is better than the version on Biograph (and better than the other circulated studio version).

13. JuhaS

JuhaS Senior Member

There is a mono soundboard of this in Sony vaults. It's a crime that they haven't released it yet. Full concert from fall 1980 would make a great Bootleg Series release!

14. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Agreed - how bout 'Lets Keep it Between Us"(covered by Bonnie Riatt), "Need a Woman' (covered by Ry Cooder0 and "Magic" for lighter songs as well!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.