Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're at currently (Part 2)...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Aug 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I disagree with that. He's certainly done great work post SP, but if you asked a casual fan or a random person to list the top ten Dylan songs, it's unlikely any post-68 material besides maybe a track or two from BOTT would make the list. His rep as a songwriter is almost entirely based on his early work.

supermd likes this.
  2. slane

slane Forum Resident

I saw the track times for OTMM and YAGN on itunes, but they weren't available to buy. Has that changed?

3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

(Bump from previous thread, I think my post was delayed as a new member)

This thread has been too much fun so far!
    I have been collecting these tracks since I first heard a few from a random tape a college roommate had. I definitely remember Sign on the Cross and Bonnie Ship the Diamond. Anyway, I later downloaded the 5 disc GBT track by track from Napster, later got a hold of TWR which has been in regular rotation forever. I downloaded the 11 disk Basement Reels but haven't gotten around to listening. I couldn't believe the email from bobdylan.com about this release, and I can't wait. For some reason, I feel compelled not to listen to any Basement Tapes until my discs arrive, try to get a fresh listen again. I almost wish I hadn't heard them before!

Anyway, about the other tracks that get lumped in with the Basement Tapes (contemporaneous Band recordings without Dylan, Tiny Tim tape, etc). I know these don't generate nearly as much excitement as the Dylan, but the completist in me wants to put together a "disk 7." of the non-Dylan tracks. Can anyone put together a complete list? Best sources?

alchemy likes this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Oh that may be true, but (not too seem to snobby) I'm not sure if "a casual fan or a random person" is the best person to put that question to.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

BTW, although I'm avoiding listening to preview tracks, I eagerly welcome any previews that anyone wants to provide.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Google Howard Alk and/or Eat the Document

7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

As far as I know, it has never been reported that they were continuing their little movie experiement
    after the 1966 tour, aside from editing.

I just find it interesting to think there is film from Bob and the Band in 1967.
    Imagine what they could be playing in that pic....literally anything.
    And it could be on color film/video.

Pretty sure this is a black hole in Dylan nerd history.

8. Moth

Moth fluttering by

I hate to be a downer, but maybe they were just using those spotlights because it was dark down in the basement?

revolution_vanderbilt and asdf35 like this.
  9. hollowhorn

hollowhorn In Memoriam In Memoriam

$165.69

HominyRhodes likes this.
  10. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Is this where someone (not me this time!) inserts that alleged pic of Bob in the bib and bandana from '67 and points to the movie camera next to him...?

slane and asdf35 like this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Pretty sure that's a foreign bib you're seeing.

12. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

+1
    (except for Odds & Ends #1, and You Ain't Goin' Nowhere #1, which have been "out" for many years.)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, if you're trying to accurately assess Dylan's overall place among rock songwriters, I think you have to look at how he's regarded beyond the realm of the hardcore fans. I mean, you could probably find hardcore fans whose top ten best Dylan songs would include "Country Pie" or "Band of the Hand."

14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I'm glad it's happening now - rather than to have had it released earlier - probably as a 1975 album tack-on bonus disc.

Now really is the time because of the advances in technology, access to the material, and the considerations of father time on our friends and Mr. Dylan; the producers want to do a good job, and archival release considerations are upon us.

[And a moment of silence to the fellow Dylan fans who are no longer with us to see this material officially released, and that we should all live to see the day of this issuance.]

bonus, skybluestoday and HominyRhodes like this.
  15. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

once the news about Vol. 11 came out, I assumed the Lost on the River collection was made to capitalize on the release of the actual Basement Tapes -- or do we think it's the other way around? Is it coincidental?

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I would be shocked if it was coincidental.

17. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

I would think Lay Lady Lay, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Forever Young, Tangled Up in Blue, Shelter from the Storm, Hurricane, Gotta Serve Somebody, Things Have Changed, and Make You Feel My Love have arguably achieved "classic" status even among casual fans.

RonBaker and dajokr like this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I think they just wanted to get it out of the way at this point. I thought, too that BOTT would get hit next. But I'm glad it's not!

Also, with the BOTT stuff and Blonde On Blonde, hopefully those are going to take more time to compile due to some kind of A/V tie-in that incorporates some more 1966 Pennebaker footage, Eat The Document, Something Is Happening, and Renaldo & Clara and associated 1975 footage. It would be nice if there's also something done with the well-recorded 1966 and 1975 live audio leftovers and hotel room stuff. And we thought there was a lot of potential material for the Basement Tapes...

Moth likes this.
  19. HominyRhodes

Basement Tapes Complete - CD 6

1. "2 Dollars and 99 Cents"
    2. "Jelly Bean"
    3. "Any Time"
    4. "Down by the Station"
    5. "Hallelujah, I've Just Been Moved" (Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan)
    6. "That's the Breaks"
    7. "Pretty Mary"
    8. "Will the Circle be Unbroken" (written by A.P. Carter)
    [TRACKS 1-8 PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED]

9. "King of France"
    THE KING OF FRANCE (3:24) [vocal quiet, electric piano used)

10. "She's on My Mind Again" (previously unreleased)

11. "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad" (Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan)
    NO SHOES ON MY FEET (GOIN' DOWN THE ROAD FEELIN' BAD) (2:19)

12. "On a Rainy Afternoon"
    ON A RAINY AFTERNOON (2:46)

13. "I Can't Come in with a Broken Heart"
    I CAN'T COME IN WITH A BROKEN HEART False Take ( :41)/ (2:00)

14. "Next Time on the Highway"
    NEXT TIME ON THE HIGHWAY (2:18)
    (intro cut, lead guitar like Obviously Five Believers, "salty" language)

15. "Northern Claim"(previously unreleased)
    16. "Love is Only Mine"(previously unreleased)

17. "Silhouettes" (written by Bob Crewe and Frank C Slay Jr.)
    SILHOUETTES ( :22)

18. "Bring it on Home" [inspired by Bring It To Jerome by Bo Diddley]
    BRING IT ON HOME (2:59)

19. "Come All Ye Fair and Tender Ladies" (Traditional, arranged by Bob Dylan)
    COME ALL YOU FAIR AND TENDER LADIES (2:04) (distorted sound)

20. "The Spanish Song (Take 1)"
    21. "The Spanish Song (Take 2)"
    THE SPANISH SONG (I) (2:45) / (II) (2:11)

20. HominyRhodes

+1

So many treasures there...

Moth likes this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I've always been of the mind that if Dylan had died in 1966, he'd hold roughly the same place in music history as he does now (and that the following years were just elaborations on what he had done up to that point). But now I'm extending that thought to cover his whole 1960s output and including the Another Self Portrait material.

Heck, Dylan's official 60s studio and live albums (including post-60s 60s releases), plus the archival demos, outtakes, forthcoming Basement Tapes and live concert field recordings/performances are a career unto itself. He packed a lot of action/songs/appearances/recordings into 9 cat years.

bonus and Koabac like this.
  22. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Very cool!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  23. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Definitely. Blonde on Blonde now resides on the top of my wish list for the Bootleg Series. I remember reading an article (another one in Rolling Stone, I think) about how great and varied the Blonde on Blonde stuff is, the unnamed vigilante described Bob as a "jazz artist", where every take was different. Plus, I would love to hear those early Band versions of the songs. If they include contemporary live shows (too bad they released the "Royal Albert Hall Concert" by itself, think of how great a '66 live box could be) and those hotel tapes (I would kill for a complete, studio take of "On a Rainy Afternoon"), you would have another really amazing box set. Adding in some leftover footage on a DVD or blu-ray would be a really great addition for something like that.

It's going to be a sad day when this series reaches its end.

brianvargo likes this.
  24. HominyRhodes

In this article, Sean Wilentz describes many of the Blonde sessions tapes, which he was granted access to:
    http://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/2013/nov/12/making-blonde-blonde/

supermd, alchemy, dajokr and 2 others like this.
  25. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

My (pretty much total) guess is that a COMPLETE BLONDE ON BLONDE set would be upwards of 30 discs, if it literally captured every NYC/Nashville recorded moment. I suspect very much they will wait to see how this much more modest (but still comprehensive) set does before betting so heavily on a "superfan" collection (to use a word from Rolling Stone's Dylan source).

Not against it, though. BOB/electric period, BOTT, and "Born Again" strike me as the next most promising eras to explore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.