Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're at currently...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GetRhythm, Apr 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No, but I'm really hoping that "One Man's Loss" is the collection's "most improved" track. On the circulating copies it sounds to me that basically one channel is all but MIA. Hoping they were able to use what was there to create a balanced track with audible vocals. Also Rolling Stone's characterization of the previously unknown "Wild Wolf" -- as an "epic, apocalyptic rocker" -- certainly has piqued my interest.

asdf35 likes this.
  2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

If I break my vow to be disciplined and listen to the full set in sequence straight thru, it'll be the fault of "Wild Wolf."

Koabac likes this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It would seem that a national holiday is in order, so everyone can listen to the 6 discs straight without interruption. Since it's already Election Day, we're practically half way there.

HominyRhodes, smoke and Koabac like this.
  4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Somewhat ironically, even with the day off, I probably won't have enough time get thru the whole set that day, as I will likely have a Dylan concert to attend that night.

And let me make a wild predictable Bob does absolutely nothing to commemorate this event that evening.

HominyRhodes and Koabac like this.
  5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The 2CD version does seem to be a reasonable (though considerably short of definitive) survey of Dylan's original material from the sessions. But the handful of cover versions are downright baffling, and rather unrepresentative of the interpretive heights he reached down there.

But yeah, with the Deluxe Set, we can all just make our own playlists and compilations to taste so it really doesn't matter that much.

6. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

That would be particularly welcome. The band just seems to be finding their groove when the tape cruelly cuts off.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I was at a Never-Ending Tour concert the night that "Traveling Wilburys: Volume One" was released in 1988 (Radio City Music Hall). Bob chatted at great length about the album and then performed a number of songs from it. NOT.

8. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Isn't that what 'Balance' on an amp used to be used for?

Carserguev and Kermit27 like this.
  9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

They should have released it on the 4th of July.

L.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  10. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I believe they have gone to the boots in the past, for some of Dylan's early non-studio tracks like Dinks' Song, Hard Times in New York Town, No More Auction Block, etc. I'm sure there are a few more examples.

11. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Thank you.

slane likes this.
  12. HominyRhodes

Although I think that the BS version of Manchester '66 sounds wonderful, I wish someone would start a thread about all of the OTHER live tapes from the world tour that year. Frankly, I have lost track of which shows are available, and the sound quality of the recordings that do exist.

13. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Interesting. I suppose we can perhaps hope that the Disc 6 tracks (bad as they are supposed to be) are superior to the boots?

14. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

The only issue w/DATs is they are 16 bit PCM files and that can never change - while w/the original reels you could transfer at 192/24 and have some better flexibility in EQ, etc.

But w/the sound quality of the reels, in this case it doesn't make much difference.

15. HominyRhodes

Not necessarily. We'll have to wait and see.

16. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

Dat tapes are not always 16 bit. Otherwise, no comment.

17. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Isn't it about time for this thread to get a part 2?

HominyRhodes likes this.
  18. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

They can be 12 bit, too.

19. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yes, so we could carry the box home in our arms on Independence Day. :righton:

lschwart and HominyRhodes like this.
  20. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Yes, I was assuming/hoping these are 16 bit!

21. HominyRhodes

I think you should flatter yourself, and I do hope the "9 o'clock-3 o'clock" perspective is what they shoot for.

I'm curious about what people think of Sonic Youth's revamped version of I'm Not There -- no one could duplicate Dylan's remarkable vocal performance in the original, but I think Thurston Moore and company do a decent job, especially with a brief intro, instead of the Basement's "cold opening" to the track:

ReadySteady likes this.
  22. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Is the 2cd set not just focussing on dylan originals? Doesn't seem to be many covers on there. I wonder if that's the prevailing logic behind the track selection.

Personally the truncated vinyl version suits me fine although I'll miss Bonnie Ship The Diamond. Otherwise I think most of my favourites are on there.

23. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.