Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes - where we're currently at (Part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Po' Lazarus was obviously cut, but has it been discussed that it was recorded at a different speed?
    I say that because it is of lower quality than the rest of the reel, as is apparant on the new box.

I'm assuming Garth eagle-eyed the remaining tape and compromised quality for more space.

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So that's about 1:10 of Red Room? Either way more is missing, the tape wasn't full, or the speed was varied. The numbers for the other reels look great, though.

3. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Griffin also apparently lists a few more outtakes which might spoil our party:

UNRELEASED
    + PO’ LAZARUS – TAKE 2 (4:21)
    + OL’ ROISIN THE BEAU – TAKE 1 (4:46)

EDIT: Actually, this alternate would probably fit on the "Try Me Little Girl" reel:
    + I’M ALRIGHT – TAKE 2 (2:38)

4. I believe that's how it's sequenced exactly on Tree With Roots, so I see no reason to think otherwise....

5. HominyRhodes

Again, a tape guide would be nice. Do the principles involved, Hudson/Haust/Griffin/Heylin, specify when 1200 ft. reels (30+ min. @ 7 1/2 ips) or 1800 ft. reels (45+ min. @7 1/2 ips) were used?

6. fangedesire

fangedesire Well-Known Member

I find the story suspicious, myself. Heylin doesn't dismiss it, but suspects it's more likely that MGM was given some songs by Grossman that Dylan had recorded in the basement. But looking at the timeline earlier, it seemed unlikely that Dylan had recorded anything at that point that he'd want to share. And it's spectacularly unlikely that any Tiny Tim recordings would be sent to MGM to show them what Dylan was up to! (Unless it was all a joke.)

Anyway - per Griffin's book, the Band/Tiny Tim tracks were not recorded in the basement, but in a New York studio in fall 1966.
    However, Tiny Tim was a friend of Dylan's and visited him several times in '67.

Thelonious_Cube and slane like this.
  7. HominyRhodes

Yeah, it's really too bad :rolleyes: they didn't include this as an extra for the BT set -- great Caesar's ghost, such caterwauling:doh:

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  8. fangedesire

I think 'Fair & Tender Ladies' is clearly the "Part of Song" that's written on the reel before 'Under Control,' the order that's on the tapes. It makes sense that going right to the end of a reel would give you 32 minutes or so.

And it's true that 'Po' Lazarus' might have gotten recorded at a different speed because it was the end of the reel. Having it cut off seems natural, and I don't trust all Griffin's assertions of second takes, but the way he describes take 2 of 'Lazarus' (distorted vocals, a melodic shift at 2:43) makes it clear that it does exist.

Unfortunately no source says anything about the exact reel lengths, except that they were 7-inch reels (which could vary). Of course we have pictures of a few reels, and know the brands, so I guess a reel detective could determine exactly how long they went. Your reel-time reconstructions look pretty good though.

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  9. Will Harris

Will Harris Forum Resident

Nice pictures, but click on "see map of area"...Up comes Dutchess County. oops, wrong side of the river. The house listed for $12,00 when he bought it in 1965. 11 rooms? Someone has been adding quite a lot. This listing states 7 bedrooms and 6.5 baths. I live in the area, about seven miles from Byrdcliffe. These pictures show plenty of upgrades on the property since I first saw it fifteen years ago. The gardeners have been busy. I'm going over to Woodstock for Record Store Day in a couple of weeks, I'll try to get a closer look. But not being rich enough to afford this, doubt they will let me get too close.

I hope to get this set soon. As per instruction I haven't made any comments until I do. The thread tho' is very interesting and detailed. So just readin' and keepin' my fingers shut. And Hominy, I am loving your covers. Don't stop.

I will add to something that I saw back on page 30. I use the anti-static sleeves and paper jacket covers made by Nagaoka. You can get them for $4.99 per 20 at Dusty Groove in Chicago. They do charge about five dollars to ship, so get a years worth.

Keep posting. I catch up every few days. Soon as I recover from Todd, Wings and Kinks (mine will get here next week) boxes draining my bank account I will be sure to buy at least the 2 cd set. Hoping one of the libraries get the big set. Would be better if they didn't release everything at Christmas - I've got others to buy for, not just myself. I have the Griffin book (2007), and would like to hear more on what he has added in such a short time, other than information on the project Costello and that gang did. I'm going to pass on that.

Is someone starting a thread to talk about the Hawks/Band's development in this period? Can't find one. I have the Band boxes/book and will buy whatever Garth comes up with. It was interesting to find out that he was thinking of releasing more. I thought what they gave us in the Musical History book was going to be all they were willing to share.

10. fangedesire

Doesn't your picture of Red Room reel #1 have a label saying 7 1/2?

11. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.