Bob Dylan's Best Touring Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Zoom, Aug 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

I stand by the last 20+ years, but that’s clearly the band, the moment.

Dr. Zoom likes this.
  2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The Hawks '66 hands down for me.

notesfrom and ohnothimagen like this.
  3. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Dylan/Petty show I saw was excellent. Bob seemed inspired by the Heartbreakers.

The Dylan/Dead show was probably the worst rock concert I've ever seen.

primoridal_ooze and sbeaupre like this.
  4. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

The one with Jim Keltner and Tim Drummond. Hehe

ohnothimagen likes this.
  5. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Sexton/Campbell/Kemper band was amazing, and it doesn't hurt that Dylan was often in great form. They handled nearly every kind of American music with incredible skill, while balancing a repertoire of 100+ songs (more if one considers all the songs they played over their years together).

2003 band with Dylan on piano and Freddie Koella on gtr is a favorite of mine, too. What a great sound.

Hard to compare these to the glory years, Rolling Thunder or Hawks '66. Dylan was so different and everything else was too, and I wasn't around to see them, either. I certainly wouldn't argue with anyone claiming them.

6. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Guam/Rolling Thunder
    The Gospel Band 79-80
    Campbell/Sexton/Kemper (Recile) 97-02 (easily the best NET band IMO).

duggan likes this.
  7. Dr. Zoom

I know this is heresy, but the RTR band is one of my least favorite configurations. They certainly had their moments. But their style (esp Wyeth and Stoner) wears on me after a while.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  8. Dr. Zoom

The kimball/freeman/Herron combo was really good too. The 2005 Birmingham show is one I go back to again.

9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO The Band would be the correct answer here:cheers:

Again IMO, Rob Stoner is the worst bass player I've ever heard Dylan playing with. All those chromatic walking bass runs Stoner seemed to insist on playing on, like, every f--king song, it seems...I can handle him on Desire and Hard Rain but over the course of an entire Rolling Thunder Revue show his bass playing drives me bonkers! Stoner was definitely the weak link in that particular lineup. Howie Wyeth's drumming isn't bad, especially when you consider that the guy was completely strung out at the time.

The lineup I saw Bob playing with in '98 was pretty damn good, I must admit...if memory serves it was basically the Love And Theft band, but I don't recall Charlie Sexton being there on the night.

10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

G.E.Smith and Freddy Koella were the best guitarists Dylan has toured with. Fred Tackett was great too. Mick Ronson was very good in the RTR. Michael Bloomfield would’ve been great with Dylan had he toured extensively.

The rest...meh to Charlie Sexton to be honest. Too jingley jangly. Not sure he’s ever done a run that starts or ends on the top E string or isn’t in A.
    I think Robbie Robertson was a solid guitarist but no musical genius.
    Billy Cross was solid as well but a bit too reserved.
    Don’t think Mick Taylor was particularly great on the 1984 tour, certainly not Rolling Stones 1973 great.
    Larry Campbell had his moments. Too forceful as an acoustic player though, which was a strong point of JJ Jackson, who conversely was a bit undisciplined as an electric player sometimes. Jackson’s interplay with Bucky Baxter around 1994-1996 was fantastic.

Best drummer was Chris Parker, by a mile.

Bass...meh. Garnier isn’t great. I’d probably go with Kenny Aaronson who at least injected a bit of funkiness into things.

11. Dr. Zoom

Lots of props here for the gospel band. Great musicians all, but that band just doesn't do much for me (nor does most of the material from that era).

primoridal_ooze and ohnothimagen like this.
  12. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and the Queens of Rhythm

ted321 likes this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Not me. Love that band and espeically that rhythm section. After the Hawks, probably my favorite Dylan backing band.

14. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

the 78 and 88 bands were also exc. late 78/im not a big Rob Stoner fan.
    the worst was when he had the one guy from Spirit(not Randy C, the one who came in later)
    and the guitar tech playing the guitars.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  15. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

When was that?

16. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Thomas Casagranda and uzn007 like this.
  17. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

On the other end of the spectrum, One of the lineups I was less enamored with from Spring 2003 Tour:

Bob Dylan - guitar, piano, harp
    Larry Campbell - guitar, slide guitar, mandolin, cittern
    Freddie Koella - guitar
    Tony Garnier - bass
    George Recile - drums

Bob on Keyboards mostly + Freddie Koella on guitar was a BIGTIME change from the last shows I saw previously in Spring 2002.

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  18. Dr. Zoom

I liked Koella. Esp the way Bob introcuded him : "Fred-ee
    Kooo-wallah"

Stoner was bass player trying to be a lead guitarist. One of those bass players always noodling up at the top of the neck.
    And Wyeth compulsively beat that China cymbal like a rented mule. No subtelty.
    Not a particularly skilled rhythm section IMO.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

And especially because of Mickey Jones on drums, for me.

RTR, with Rob Stoner and T-Bone works for me, too. I do like the current lineup that he’s had relatively intact for the past while, but I don’t find them as interesting as The Hawks, The Band, RTR or his late 70s band...or even his Budokan band!

20. Dr. Zoom

I'm not a big fan of the gospel era, but Drummond/keltner was a killer rhythm section.

Umbari likes this.
  21. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

22. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

1991 also. John Staehely was his name.

23. Jesus Jeronimo

Jesus Jeronimo Forum Resident

I saw a couple of shows in Paris in the early 2000's (might have been 2002 or 2003) and the Campbell/ Sexton / Garnier band was including Jim Keltner in the drums. Monster shows on back to back nights with very different set list and a wonderful venue. They were my first shows seeing the Bobster and I really was impressed. Have seen many show after that, but those shows kept in my mind.

J

primoridal_ooze likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

My favorite Dylan band also

25. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

Yes, he was gone by 91. 91 was rough too.

Thomas Casagranda likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.