Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

I did see an ad for it this morning from Best Buy on the CBS Sunday Morning broadcast.

2. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

It's very different phrasing wise and I love the piano playing on this version, very worthy of inclusion, a beautiful performance.

Other early observations..... 2 version of Alberta on the original SP and the best version, #3, was left in the can.

Copper Kettle just gives me goosebumps. I swear when the organ comes in you'd think it's Garth Hudson and a Basement Outtake....

vonwegen and DeeThomaz like this.
  3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Given the discrepancy with the recording dates, it's still very possible that "Spanish" is indeed from the SP sessions (in fact, I'm still inclined to believe that's the case--listing it as a Self Portrait track is pretty much impossible to justify otherwise), but the Amazon sample sadly doesn't imply much of the "Nashville Croon" in any case.

I suspect the debate over the date of recording will be inconclusive for the foreseeable future. But at least on Tuesday we'll be able to add the evidence of our own ears into the discussion (wish I could pretend to be happy for everyone who has gotten to hear the set earlier than me, but that wouldn't strictly be the truth).

4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Isle Of Wight isn't as bad as I have heard. I actually like the looseness of it.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

It would seem to be exactly that. Sounds like the telltale head cold vocal and piano clonking of New Morning, and more of a piece with Bring Me A Little Water than all the covers with Bromberg. In fact, I might be projecting just from reading the sessionography, but if you listen to this Loving Tongue, followed by the b-side, followed by the alternates of If Not For You and Time Passes Slowly, it's like you can hear his voice gradually warm up and cut loose before your very ears.

I lost my file of the iTunes Gypsy a couple computers ago to confirm, but there's definitely electric piano on this one.

truth-be-told and DeeThomaz like this.
  6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

You know, I know that the Dylan version of "Loving Tongue" is sometimes considered one of the worst recordings in the history of Western music :o, but I have to admit, once I got over the stigma of the whole Self Portrait/Dylan period, I kinda get a kick out of that song -- especially after the full accompaniment comes in about halfway through. :righton: :help:

Cozzie and rstamberg like this.
  7. Soul Music Fan

Soul Music Fan Forum Resident

There's nothing wrong with the ASP version but the later B side version is more passionate both vocally and in Dylan's piano playing.

8. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Definitely would maybe add "Only A Hobo" from the new set. Maybe "Tomorrow Is A Long Time"? Would like to try to keep it all Dylan originals that aren't alternate versions from other releases (Basement Tapes don't count : )

vonwegen, JayB, wayne66 and 1 other person like this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

From what I could assess from the brief Amazon excerpt, that 2nd "Gypsy" is almost certainly the previously bootlegged take. And, if so, it's yet another similarity ASP has to Tell Tale Signs, in that they both scooped up a former iTunes exclusive track from their respective periods (in the case of TTS, it was the alternate version of "Everything Is Broken").

10. SchuSchu86

SchuSchu86 Forum Resident

[quote="picassoson, post: 9301613, member: 31487"
    Definitely would maybe add "Only A Hobo" from the new set. Maybe "Tomorrow Is A Long Time"? Would like to try to keep it all Dylan originals that aren't alternate versions from other releases (Basement Tapes don't count : )[/quote]

Just curious, I have been looking for George Jackson all over! Do you find both as a single anywhere?

11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

May as well throw some more tracks on there - some version of 'Spanish Is...' included, some Bangladesh outtakes, make it a double LP.

Call it 'Self-Portrait II'...

12. Looking forward to grabbing the 4 CD box on Tuesday morning!

13. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Nice list. I will want to keep it all Dylan originals also. I think there will eventually be enough to make a separate covers album if I use the Dylan album and Self Portrait. Also Self Portrait will be edited to only include Dylan originals.P.S. I like the title of the album, Watching the River Flow. I may end up using that one.

14. ZoomBob

ZoomBob Forum Resident

I was around when George Jackson came out, and bought a copy for $1.00 at the record store. This is one of the blessings of age.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  15. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I think "This Evening So Soon" (aka Tell Old Bill) is worth the price of the whole 2 CD set. Dylan really transforms that song into something special.

swedgin likes this.
  16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Listening now (still on disc 1) but thus far I think this is terrific. :thumbsup:

17. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

Does Dylan really have 125 albums? No one will accuse you of being a casual fan :eek:

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  18. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Just heard the clips and "Spanish Is The Loving Tongue" is definitely not the version that's on the 3 CD Japanese compilation, Masterpieces, and assuming that compilation used the actual B-side recording, this would make the Another Self-Portrait a definite "new" release. Does sound like it's from the same session, but the piano playing is a bit more flourished and the phrasing is different.

19. Mikeyerg

Mikeyerg Forum Resident

Agreed. That vocal is incredible.

20. Indeed, Best Buy would have heavily promoted this set in the past. If you've visited most Best Buys in the past few months, you'll be aware they've basically done away with the CD section. It is now down to one rack in most stores. I wonder if Target will even carry the deluxe version?

21. George McClellan

George McClellan Forum Resident

At my local Best Buy the music section was replaced by stacks of air conditioners. There is one rack now, toward the back of the store. I had to wander around to find it.

Thankfully we have Newbury Comics around here, so I'll probably go there to get it. I'm planning on getting the 2-CD version but we'll see once I get the deluxe in my hands :)

22. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I just checked my Itunes and I have 131!

:thumbsup:

George McClellan likes this.
  23. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Listening to the sound samples on Amazon and the Isle of Wight gig sounds like a great show. Any chance of Legacy issuing that show on a standalone disc? Or is this live show only going to be available in the $100 deluxe package?

24. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

:edthumbs: Me too! I never warmed to the "big band version" on the b-side, though. Wish now that I had picked up the Watching the River Flow 45 while I was at it, but I didn't know about Spanish is the Loving Tongue on the b-side, and I already had WTTRF on Greatest Hits, Vol. 2.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

There is a small chance of a stand-alone release, but it wouldn't be in the cards for quite awhile---maybe up to a year, if ever. The Witmark Demos Bootleg Series set came with a bonus CD (thru Amazon??) of the Live at Brandeis University Concert CD. And about a year later, that CD was made available as a stand-alone CD purchase.

So there is hope based on that previous case.

Arnie

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.