Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Are you a Prime member? If you are, it doesn't really matter (except in extreme circumstances) when you get the shipping confirmation, you almost always get it on time. If not, it was my experience that it could be as much as a week after release date that you'd see a new title.

3. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I agree for the most part, I think the overdubs on New Morning work better than on Sign on the Window. Marcus describes the horns in NM as being like Got to Get you into My Life which is pretty accurate.
    What Al Kooper was thinking with the SOTW arrangement is anyone's guess, the harp is particularly 'Disney'! For a song with such a beautiful vocal it's too much, although I wouldn't say it's a disaster.

For Time Passes Slowly I think for the most part the right take was included on New Morning although the alternates are both fantastic. #2 is an absolute barnstormer!

4. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

It's beyond ridiculous that there isn't a separate CD release of the 8/31/69 concert.

Mr. H likes this.
  5. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Yet.

6. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

Another thing to consider for those that want to cherry pick the concert tracks.
    The mixes are totally different from the Self Portrait versions (from what I hear from samples).
    For instance, Quinn The Eskimo from SP seemed to almost be a Neil Young, strip out the audience thing, while you can hear loads of chatter in the concert version.

7. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Play dot com have all 53 tracks advertised as download option for £11.99 ripped at 320kbps. This is a bargain if you want the IOW concert. I payed £19.99 this morning for lesser quality rips from I tunes. Oh well

8. NewWarden

NewWarden Forum Resident

Yeah, isn't it cool that they could now do Dylan & Bromberg Part 2? You could take one of two approaches. Your suggestion, I take it, is to include Under The Red Sky as basically the New Morning to the Bromberg/GAIBTY/WGW sessions in Another Another Self Portrait. Sounds great to me, but I'd also be into a specific "Dylan the interpreter of songs" super-cover album with the aforementioned outtakes, plus whatever tribute and soundtrack songs don't end up in the Complete Album Collection clean-up discs, Any Way You Want To Me and other unreleased material from random '90s sessions, and no shortage of NET covers from '88 to wherever you want to cut it off that would cohesively stand alongside, if not exceed, the studio covers. And then maybe the UTRS redemption project could be added to the end of our hypothetical 1983-88: Maligned Albums thing.

It's pretty exciting to think of what's possible in the "emboldened, out of left field" Bootleg Series, as you put it nicely. It's nice that you no longer have to hear the obligatory "meh, Sony will only release stuff from the 60s" line that would get trotted out in every online discussion about TBS until 2008. In fact, the conversation about it was so interesting all of a sudden that I had to register here to join it.

I wish there was a way to justify releasing both the '80 show and an '81 show, be it New Orleans or a compilation. And that's presuming, hopefully incorrectly, that there's no high-quality recording of the '79 shows. There's not much of a narrative hook for the '81 tour except for "Dylan diversifies setlists, sings amazingly." I could see live versions of "Shot of Love," "Heart of Mine," and "Dead Man" being included in a gospel era compilation to show how much more those songs soared onstage, but what about "I Want You" and "Simple Twist of Fate"? If Team Dylan wanted to rehabilitate Self Portrait, maybe they'll eventually take a look at expanding and/or upgrading basically all of his non-Bootleg Series live albums.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

iTunes format is higher quality than a 320kbps MP3 though I can't hear the different myself.

10. DmitriKaramazov

Actually, yes, I am a prime member, and MOST of the time I get stuff from Amazon delivered on the issue date. They probably ship from somewhere here in Calif.

Often, Amazon will send me a refund if they price drops at the very VERY end.

But STILL, the waiting is the hardest part...........

DeeThomaz likes this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Very interesting. You are the first person that I'm aware of to comment on the mix used for the IOW tracks on the remastered SP. I had previously believed that the remaster would likely use the new remixes, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Even if the original mix may have left much to be desired, I'm a strong believer that original albums mixes shouldn't be tampered with, whenever possible.

Nice in cases like this where we get the best of both worlds, the original mix in it's original context, and a remix when the whole concert is released.

John Rhett Thomas likes this.
  12. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Been listening to the two unreleased discs all day today. Man, this is some great stuff! Wish I could read a first paragraph from Greil Marcus when he first heard these tracks.

vonwegen and stereoptic like this.
  13. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

???
    iTunes is 256k AAC (MP4), maybe at best equivalent to 320k MP3, certainly not better and likely slightly worse.

14. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I suppose if Jeff Rosen called me up and said "You're in charge of the Bootleg Series" I would end up including Under The Red Sky in the "maligned albums" set. Where it really belonged was in BS8, but I suppose I can see how it didn't fit the theme. It would be nice to keep the "Early '90s Covers Period" intact as a Bootleg Series release, covering just the Bromberg sessions, GAIBTY and WGW -- but, as you said, UTRS could act as New Morning does in the current BS10. Unfortunately, once they skipped over it for BS8, the UTRS sessions don't have a thematic home, unless you just do another broad "Rare and Unreleased" set. So I would try to squeeze it into my "Knocked Down In The Empire Groove" set.
    I think the Tell Tale Signs set (BS8) really opened Sony's eyes to the fact that a lot of Dylan fans crave non-60s material, and I think BS10 will further surprise them. I mean, really, who would have ever guessed that a Bootleg Series release would ever be focused on Self Portrait material? Sony pretended those sessions didn't exist when compiling Biograph and Bootleg Series 1-3 (and all subsequent "greatest hits" compilations), and most fans avoid the album like the plague. Yet here we are. It's really quite amazing -- just when you think the Dylan vault might be a finite resource, they pull this stuff out to keep us amazed for a couple more years.
    I think they have enough material to make more than one Bootleg Series release from the Gospel period. They could easily release either Toronto 1980 or New Orleans 1981 as separate "Live" releases, and use one or the other as a bonus disc for a studio "Gospel" set. I'm not a huge collector of live boots, so people will have to chime in and educate me, but I thought there were good soundboard recordings from Tempe (1980?) and the Warfield (1979?). But maybe not. I do know that Toronto was professionally filmed as well as recorded, and was once planned to BE an actual live album (like 1963's Carnegie Hall LP), so that should be a gimme.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. Sean Murdock

Not according to Apple, but I can't hear the differences well enough to have an opinion.

16. dbacon

dbacon Senior Member

This has nothing to do with the new bootleg series vol. 10, but since we are all in a Bob mood, and Wednesday is the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, here's Mr. Dylan's appearance.

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

The mixes aren't as different as I was expecting, after reading Steve Berkowitz in 'Uncut' saying they would sound 'bigger'. But the tracks released on the original SP do sound a bit different (and better) here.

Two things I noticed: The guitar solo on the new mix of 'Quinn' doesn't seem to 'skip' anymore (a bad edit?). I think someone else commented on this earlier.

I had noticed that the SP version of 'Like A Rolling Stone' had Dylan playing guitar scales under the crowd noise at the end. I always suspected that the massive crowd noise and the guitar scales were taken from somewhere else. It seems to be taken from between 'It Ain't Me Babe' and 'To Ramona' in the concert. LARS also seems to have an extra line near the end that was edited out on SP. (I've only listened once so far).

18. DmitriKaramazov

You mean you're NOT Jeff Rosen??? :biglaugh:

19. Sean Murdock

I wish... :angel:

20. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

You could be right. I was just remember hearing the 2 versions of QTE back to back and taken by the differences.
    It may not be the case with the other tracks.

I distinctly hear the audience cheer when he sings the first verse in the concert version, on Self Portrait, no audience sounds there.
    The vocals also seem to be mixed with the band instead of way out in front on SP.
    I'll need to check some more.

21. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

My friend bought an "advance copy" of this over the weekend and we got together for a beer to listen to it.
    I heard it start to finish and I'm blown away by it.
    I always liked "Days Of 49" and "Little Sadie" on Self Portrait, but I like them more on this.
    Also, "New Morning" and "Sign On The Window" with Al Kooper's horn and string overdubs are a revelation. They just improve those songs so much!
    It's a wonderful set that I'll buy tomorrow and really get into throughout the week.
    Fans of "Tell Tale Signs" will love it's similar style packaging and booklet.
    Fans of Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" and "New Morning" albums will love it!

(The vocals on this material will put to rest once and for all that Dylan wasn't a good singer)

Rolling Stone was right. ****1/2 out of 5

22. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Finally got something early from Amazon. Went for the two-disc version.

23. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Give us your review!

24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Working strictly off the top of my head, there are no circulating soundboards from 1979. There's a partial Denver '80, the Toronto material (the unreleased album and the complete show on video), and two shows from the Warfield '80 (11-15, 11-16). Heylin also mentions that the soundboard tape from 11-12-80 (which does not circulate) was used to copyright "Caribbean Wind". From '81, apart from New Orleans, there is Avignon and Houston. I believe only Toronto and New Orleans are multi-tracks. The others may or may not be considered to be of a releasable standard (although Tell Tale Signs used audience tapes and in-house "narrowcasts" for the hearing impaired, so who knows). Tempe '79 showing up as a soundboard would be a dream!

To me, the unreleased live album (recorded in April, 1980) pales in comparison to the 1979/early 1980 performances - THAT's where the fire is.

babyblue and Sean Murdock like this.
  25. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

STILL the best of the 49 Dylan shows I've seen since 1974.
    But an official release of the New Orleans show from that tour would be just fine, thanks.

The Spectrum
    Philadelphia, PA
    October 23, 1981

Gotta Serve Somebody
    I Believe In You
    Like A Rolling Stone
    I Want You
    Man Gave Names To All The Animals
    Maggie's Farm
    Girl From The North Country
    Ballad Of A Thin Man
    In The Summertime