Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series, Vol. 10 (part2) Bob Dylan

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

^^^^
    I saw Bob just a few weeks after this at Maple Leaf Gardens. Al Kooper was on keyboards!
    Great show!

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

I've listened to the Disc 1 songs, and I'm very impressed. As for SITLT, I just don't know! I've only listened a couple of times, but it could be either really. It does sound similar enough to the B-side take but a bit more flowing, whereas the B-side is a bit more stop/start. BUT it's different enough that it could be a version from an earlier (SP) session. Problem is, I don't think there's any other solo Dylan piano songs from the SP sessions to compare (is there?). I'll keep listening ;)

3. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Wow -- what a setlist! :righton:

4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I did an A/B on the "Spanish is the Loving Tongue" b-side, and the new version on "Another Self Portrait". It's pretty clear to me that these were recorded within minutes of each other. It's difficult to tell which would have come first. The vocals are quite similar, except in the "ASP" version he seems to be "doing Dylan" in a couple of spots, putting added emphasis on the last word in each phrase. I would guess that would be the earlier vocal, and he smoothed it out for the next take. However, the piano is more together on the "ASP" version - the B-side version has a couple of spots where he meanders a bit, which would seem to indicate that IT is the later performance. Either way, these two go together, and his voice sounds similar to what it does on the tracks that supposedly followed ("Mary Ann" and "Mr. Bojangles"). The "ASP" version sounds nothing like the "Dylan" version from 1969. So yes, the "ASP" version is really a "New Morning" outtake, not a "SP" outtake.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    mrbillswildride and Carserguev like this.
  5. slane

slane Forum Resident

You don't think it could possibly be from the March 1970 sessions, as the date says? (it's obviously not from the 1969 sessions).

6. RayS

The March 1970 versions are from the same session as "The Boxer" and "It Hurts Me Too". The "duet" on "The Boxer" made that one a dead end, but the "SITLT" voice isn't nearly as good a match with "It Hurts Me Too" as it is with "Mary Ann" and "Mr. Bojangles". I wouldn't bet my house on it, but I feel pretty strongly about placing it in June.

7. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Not to derail more interesting discussion but...

I just got my shipping confirmation...to my delight the price was $63.06...to my horror Amazon US has sent the vinyl version, despite me pre-ordering the deluxe set when this was first announced.

$63.06 is a rip-off for two records, especially when I didn't order them! I've initiated a return. I hope they contact me soon.

8. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Very well said. :edthumbs: :edthumbs: :edthumbs:

Sean Murdock likes this.
  9. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

The ASP version definitely sounds like an earlier take to me - the melody is more consistent and the rhythm foursquare without the melodic and rhythmic improvisation of the B-side. Just compare the phrasing of the lines "on the night I would ride / she would listen for my spurs." On the ASP version the phrasing is broken up like "On the night / that I would ride / she would listen / for my spurs" whereas on the B-side it just flows. He also has some hesitation with the lyrics on the ASP version, and seems completely comfortable on the B-side. The ASP version is definitely earlier. Whether earlier in the day or earlier in the week I can't say. So far I'd say the ASP version is pretty, but the B-side is magic.

Bill and Carserguev like this.
  10. RayS

I agree with you in terms of the vocal. What you hear as "rhythmic improvisation" on the B-side I hear as "meandering". :)

fallbreaks likes this.
  11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

fyi, Another Self Portrait has become available to "autorip" on Amazon. I'm downloading right now.

IronWaffle likes this.
  12. Sean Murdock

Woo-hoo! I was just about to check! Off to Amazon...

13. Six Bachelors

When was/were the earlier SITLT takes? 3 March? Seems like differences in the timbre/quality of his voice should be discernable in the context of him having a cold during early June and not having one in early March.

Where is the SITLT referred to as being from SP and where as being from NM? One of them has to be wrong. Which seems, well, more correct?

14. Sean Murdock

Dang -- ASP hasn't appeared in my Cloud Player yet. Is there any way to "force" Amazon to check for your new purchases and download the AutoRip tracks?

15. SchuSchu86

SchuSchu86 Forum Resident

up on itunes now

16. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Don't know. This is the first time I've used it. Worked fine for ASP, but my Beach Boys box (yes, I made the overpriced plunge... Really hoping a discount kicks in tomorrow) is missing several tracks, not to mention several that are out of sequence. Oh well, I can't listen to either of them tonight anyways.

17. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I was gonna pass on this set as this is far from my favorite era of Dylan's long and checkered career. But, today, at my local, when I saw the vinyl box set, I had to get it since I have all of the other nine volumes of The Bootleg Series on vinyl as well as all of his Long-Player records on LP except one. :sigh:

I'll dive into this new Self-Portrait manana as....:righton:

[​IMG]
    .............................Spanish is the Loving Tongue.:love:

bocaymon likes this.
  18. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Bummer! Hope they are able to fix that for you quickly, though.

And it's no consolation when you didn't want them, but it's actually three records, not two, plus the two CDs and the book...

19. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Hope they don't do that to me. I'd be tempted to keep the thing and upgrade my gear.

20. Six Bachelors

Well, it's not that I have a problem with vinyl (or three LPs, two CD and a book - thanks jsb!). I just really want the IOW show and the remastered SP.

Amazon has responded. They asked me to return the item, with Amazon paying for postage, and they said they'd send the deluxe edition "at no charge". If I end up with the deluxe edition for $70 I'll feel like the bad guy. I just wanted what I ordered and was happy to pay for! It may be academic anyway: I won't receive the package for four weeks and might miss the return deadline.

Sorry for distracting for the good vibes. Just wanted to warn Amazon customers to look out for this.

21. My local shop did not get as many copies of the 4 CD set as ordered so I'll be buying mine there first thing at 10 am Tuesday morning when they open!

22. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I sure don't like the way that the discs are just held in place in that cardboard holder. Also, the box is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

23. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Received the vinyl set from Amazon yesterday, but haven't had a chance to listen yet. Downloaded the corresponding autorip this AM and it included the IOW material. What a nice surprise!

jsb! likes this.
  24. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Hey, boring question here, but how is the quality of Deep Discount's packaging and service when sending items like this? I'm probably going to order from this vendor right away but would like some confirmation that I can expect some halfway (of better) satisfactory service from them.

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

It can't be any worse than this that I posted about A Few Pages Back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.