Bob Dylan's Down in the Groove - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Jan 6, 2017.

1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It's like Self Portrait, only faster.

2. Minstrel Boy

Minstrel Boy Forum Resident

The last three tracks are wonderful and work wonderfully together. "Shenandoah" is the standout for me.

Nothing wrong with "When Did You Leave Heaven" and "Death Is Not The End" except they're in the wrong place and work as momentum killers.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes. It's almost as if you enter a different album towards the end – and then it's all over.

The MEZ likes this.
  4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked to note that Silvio is winning.

Library Eye and SteveM like this.
  5. MEMark

MEMark Forum Resident

I like this album. Key word: Like--not love. It's obviously one of Dylan's weakest efforts and yet I find myself really enjoying some of the songs--Silvio, 90 MPH ("Warning signs are a-FLASHING everywhere..."), Shenandoah, and Rank Strangers are all really well sung and played. I also really like Ugliest Girl--very much a guilty pleasure. And as I write this I'm realizing how bad side 1 is vs. side 2.

6. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

You found out something only dead men know ;)

Cool hand luke likes this.
  7. Rank Strangers To Me is a great performance. I also liked When Did You Leave Heaven and Ninety Miles Per Hour. The rest is pretty meh though, including that annoying little song that got over-played in concert.....Silvio!

The MEZ likes this.
  8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I just got this CD, and I want to change my vote from Death Is Not The End (which I think I misunderstood the lyrics to), to The Ugliest Girl In The World, and it won't let me...

9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Silvio" (Bob Dylan, Robert Hunter)

10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Silvio

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Not my favourite Dylan album.
    I voted for the cover track "Sally Sue Brown", as anything by Arthur Alexander is wonderful. Hearing Bob's version reminds me of Arthur's version, which never fails to put a smile on my dial!

Here's what the cover looks like:
    [​IMG]

12. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Ninety Miles An Hour is my favourite.

However, when the album was released, Dylan was already in a different place, what with the GE Smith, Kenny Aaronson, Chris Parker band, and the Wilbury sessions. These stirrings could be discerned on Ninety Miles and Rank Strangers.

The MEZ likes this.
  13. My word, this album is c**p. I listened to it constantly the day it came out (in the peak years of my hardcore Dylan phase) and then wondered the next day what the heck just happened. The CD gathered dust for another 20 years and then I chucked it out with all of Dylan's other 80's albums (apart from Oh Mercy), Under The Red Sky and several 70's albums. There's just no way I'm going back there......Bootleg Series beckoning or not.

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Like Silvio and Sally Sue Brown.
    Bumped this because I'm spinning this cd now. As I go through the Dylan Columbia Albums big box set.

Not Bobsters best but an easy 80's excursion.

15. I like this album; it may often be slated, but i see no reason why. Voted for Had a dream, but really i find all of the songs have merit.

Library Eye likes this.
  16. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

I voted for Silvio. The only cut I don't like is the awful remake of Hank Snow's classic Ninety Miles An Hour.

17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Me too. Why is this weedy song liked so much?

18. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

New cover version by an Australian band.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  19. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

It is really not good at all and it never worked live as well (and he surely played it to death). At least "Death Is Not The End" is funny. Nevertheless, life is too short to waste time listening to this album. The same goes for Knocked Out Loaded.

20. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident

He should have included “Night after Night.”

21. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Easy. 'When Did You Leave Heaven?' Just absolutely love it! Would've been nice 'acoustically' like Bob's version of 'You Belong To Me'...

jamiesjamies likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Does he regard it as one of his best? Has he said this? That sounds confrontational, but not meant to be. Just wondering.

Off hand Id say he likes it because its a fun ditty to sing. Has some bounce to it. And the words roll right off.

But I cant see how he would regard it as a great Dylan song.

23. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Really? No reason?

24. Yep. I like it. Its not the best album of all time, but its fine IMO

Library Eye likes this.
  25. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

The dreadful and the slightly less dreadful vying for our favour. Sticking a pin in the list came up with Ninety miles an hour and I can live with that!