Bob Dylan's Open The Door, Homer question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by winojunko76, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winojunko76

winojunko76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any hardcore Dylan fans around here?

If so, I need your help. I know that Thunderclap Newman covered Dylan's "Open the Door, Homer" on their Hollywood Dream album and I've always thought that it was just that, a cover of Dylan's song.

Recently it was brought to my attention that apparently Dylan wrote the song specifically for TN? I've done my research and can't find anything anywhere claiming that's the case so it just doesn't seem right to me. Plus if it were true then it'd be well known wouldn't you think?

2. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Not likely. Dylan had that song around for a good while before Thunderclap Newman was even formed.

3. winojunko76

Thanks, that's what I thought all along :)

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It was just a Basement Tape (AKA Open the Door, Richard), also covered by a Walker Brother as a b-side on some single whose name I've forgotten.

5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Its on the Basement Tapes album.

6. winojunko76

When did Dylan record the song? 1967?

7. TheiPodAvenger

TheiPodAvenger Forum Resident

Yes.

8. winojunko76

Thanks. :)

9. The refrain of this song is lifted from a 1947 number one hit by Count Basie, "Open the Door, Richard"—which is what Dylan actually sings in his chorus. That song was based on a 1919 vaudeville skit by Harlem comic John Mason, so, as Griffin puts it, "this is a nonsense song based on a nonsense song". According to Heylin, Homer was "apparently" a nickname for the late novelist and musician Richard Fariña, a friend of Dylan's. Fariña died in a motorcycle crash on April 30, 1966, on his way home from a launch party for his debut novel, Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me, so the song may be an homage to a departed friend. Danko thought Dylan changed the title from Richard to Homer because Richard was already there—in the shape of Richard Manuel.[

It's been my understanding that the Richard refered to Richard Manuel and not Richard Fariña. Dylan was supposedly teasing Manuel in the studio as they recorded the song. However it is entirely possible that the Manual store is an urban myth.

10. Jim, Homer, Mouse, Mick or Richard? ;)

11. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I would bet money that he was hearkening back to "Open the Door, Richard," which was a huge hit (by Jack McVea, along with Basie and several other cover versions) during Dylan's childhood.

12. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

No doubt about that, but that doesn't mean he wasn't referring to a contemporary "Richard". My money's on Richard Farina, based on the "ain't gonna hear it said no more" line and the "Homer" reference in the title.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.