Bob Dylan's Planet Waves - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

On a Night Like This

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Dirge. So moody.

ianuaditis and Favre508 like this.
  4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I like several of the songs more or less equally. I voted for Going Going Gone because I had added an interesting annotation to the lyrics on genius.com.

The concept of a bending willow tree references the jazz standard, “Willow Weep for Me”, which was popularized by Billie Holiday, Ray Charles and many others. The significant lyrics of the earlier song are:
    Bend your branches green along the stream that runs to sea
    Listen to my plea
    Hear me willow and weep for me
    Gone my lovers dream
    Lovely summer dream
    Gone and left me here to weep my tears into the stream
    Sad as I can be
    Hear me willow and weep for me
    Whisper to the wind and say that love has sinned
    Left my heart a-breaking, and making a moan
    Murmur to the night to hide its starry light
    So none will see me sighing and crying all alone…
    Bend your branches down along the ground and cover me
    When the shadows fall, hear me willow and weep for me
    Here, Dylan evokes a place of heartbreak and empathy that even echoes his song title (gone my lovers dream, gone and left me here to weep)…but with one major difference: Where the prior song signifies shelter and empathy in the bending willow, the willow here in this place won’t bend. Here, Dylan is saying that not only are all dreams and love lost but at the end of the road there is no shelter or empathy. No one will weep for him, not even the proverbial willow.​

5. When In Rome

When In Rome It's far from being all over...

Aah, it's gotta be 'Forever Young' # 1 for me, every time - beautiful sentiments, simple yet effective arrangement and some great vocals from the man himself...

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  6. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

It has to be "Forever Young" on an album that tends to be forgotten in Dylan's canon.

Here is what the cover looks like:

[​IMG]

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  7. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

On a Night Like This

8. babyblue

babyblue Pactches Pal!

Ha, this was the other album I bought with New Morning. I also voted for the second song on this album too.

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

"Never Say Good Bye" is sort of a sketch, not quite a finished song, but what a sketch!

Beautiful beyond words...to me, anyway.

L.

10. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Tough Mama. But, I also like On a Night Like This, Going, Going, Gone, You Angel You and the 1st version of Forever Young.

11. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

Forever Young #1

linklinc likes this.
  12. "Forever Young" the slow version, * such a great & underrated/overlooked/misunderstood album!!!...
    ... so many great honorable mentions- "Going Going Gone", "On A Night Like This", "You Angel You", "Tough Mama" & "Never Say Goodbye"

linklinc and ianuaditis like this.
  13. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

And of course this version which Bob is likely to be familiar with,

14. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Never Say Goodbye is sort of a unique item in Dylan's vast catalog, so I gave it my vote.

lschwart likes this.
  15. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Hard to decide between Dirge, Wedding Song, Never Say Goodbye, and Tough Mama.

ianuaditis likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

As one who always liked the humor of The Basment Tapes, Ill go with "Tough Mama". Reminds me of that kind of song.

Tough mama
    Meat shakin' on your bones
    I'm gonna go down to the river and get some stones.
    Sister's on the highway with that steel-drivin' crew,
    Papa's in the big house, his workin' days are through.
    Tough mama
    Can I blow a little smoke on you?

You cant not like a line like "Meat shakin on your bones".

The Dead or maybe it was Jerry Garcia do my favorite version.

ianuaditis likes this.
  17. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Forever Young (the first version)

18. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I'm going to strike a contrary note here, which I should preface by saying I knew and liked Rod Stewart's version of Forever Young first. I guess I should also confess I'm not crazy about the Band.

If you're still reading, then...
    When I first bought Planet Waves, I had the specific notion that "Forever Young" would be a highlight (surely Dylan's version would blow away the version by a doofus like Stewart!). For me, however, Dylan's version doesn't press any of the buttons that Stewart's version does and it's been hard for me to appreciate Dylan's version on its own terms (as I know and concede I should). The result is that I've often taken a dim view of the whole album: its expected highlight turned out to be a duff track for me! And then it gets reprised! Only worse! Insult added to injury!

But, as it happens, I was listening to the album last week for the first time in years and found I liked the album much better than I recalled. My sense last week was that I was wrong to have put so much weight on Forever Young: in fact most of the songs are very successful and enjoyable. Forever Young still didn't whisper glory in my ear, but that's okay -- the other songs carried the success of the album.

Thoughts? I mean, besides thoughts on my immature and questionable taste?

davers likes this.
  19. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Dirge is one of Dylan's finest songs ever written, IMO.

keyse1, davers and ianuaditis like this.
  20. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Going, Going, Gone for me. Just love that song, the lyrics that cut to the bone, the guitar sound and the uplifting middle section. This entire album, especially Tough Mama, On a Night Like This and You Angel You stands up with any other good common ground Bob Dylan song. More complex themed songs such as Something There Is About You and Wedding Song are still great, even though they get a bit personal. All in all this album is rock solid. Don't know if it's underrated... I suppose so, I don't see it listed that often among his top 10. Then again he's put out so much stuff.

Joti Cover, ianuaditis and Favre508 like this.
  21. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

The slow version of "Forever Young." A classic, IMHO.

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Going Going Gone easily, in fact it's one of my favorite Dylan songs period.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Forum Resident

On A Night Like This. I just love happy Dylan songs.

MRamble likes this.
  24. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Whichever version of Forever Young is the faster one. The one that was the theme song for the TV show Parenthood. I can't stand the slow version. Love the faster one though as is the only reason I have this album in my collection and the only track I will listen to from it.

25. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Dirge, of course

ianuaditis likes this.