Bob Dylan's Self Portrait - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Love this lp...great spin during a nice fall afternoon..

DmitriKaramazov and Natural E like this.
  3. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Gotta Travel On"

Natural E likes this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

I didn't like that album. I wonder if I'd like "Another Self Portrait," the Bootleg Series one, I read that a lot of people who didn't like the original album liked that one.

chrisblower likes this.
  5. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I like this album quite a bit....my surprise at the range showed on this album got me back to Dylan after hearing it in the late 2000's--I saw Dylan 2x in the early 2000's and was so bummed by his concerts that he fell from my absolute favorite artists group for a few years, and this messy but compelling record brought me back

My fave: either Wigwam or All the Tired Horses...both moody and all out psychedelic....which isn't normally what I think of for Dylan.

Tracks like Copper Kettle, Days of 49, I forgot more than you'll ever know, Alberta(s) are all little gems.

I'm a sucker for the Dylan croon, and he has that here in spades...

Still the album is far from a masterpiece:
    The sloppy live tracks both don't fit the spirit of the other songs on the album(severely break the flow) and aren't featuring Dylan in fine form--yet others probably call them the saving grace of the record....

And the boxer is a big miss....

Still despite the flaws, there is a range here not too present in (m)any other Dylan records. I suppose if I didn't love Wigwam and Horses so much (most don't) I'd think differently but to me this is a weak 3.5/5 double album that with some trimming (live cuts--yes I don't much care for Mighty Quinn--basement tapes are my least fave Dylan and I own nearly all and have all the tapes plus Tree with roots)....anyway trim those live cuts, cut the boxer and you get a 4 star country-psychedelic mishmash gem.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

"Wigwam". La-la..

notesofachord likes this.
  8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Most memorable (but not best): "In Search of Little Sadie."

Best, maybe "Days of '49."

Natural E likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It is better.

10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Wigwam. Very un-Dylan, but prefaces Pat Garrett, which is one of my top three Dylan records.

The 'stripped' version on Another Self-Portrait seems to me to just be a huge middle finger to the whole thing of offering an unplugged mix of a song, since it's so inconsequential it might as well not exist.

11. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

It's tremendous and also infuriating that Dylan chose instead to release such an awful album originally

12. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

Copper Kettle, but also Days of 49, Wigwam, Quinn the Eskimo, and quite a few others.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  13. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Gotta Travel On... This album I've always had a bit of a difficult time with... But it's listenable. Also enjoy Copper Kettle, Living the Blues and both Albertas. Don Gibson's Take Me as I Am (or Let Me Go) also gets a fair country-esque treatment here.

14. "The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo)" (live 31/08/69, Isle of Wight Festival) got my vote.

Not an album I bother with much...

15. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Voted "Wigwam", though I prefer it - and most everything - on Another Self Portrait.

16. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Another Self Portrait is incredible. To me it shows that there is easily at least one 5-star album jumbled up between the original release and the Bootleg Series version. One of these days I'm going to try to sequence it.

17. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A difficult one for me, as despite many attempts have never warmed to this album. So I went with an Isle of Wight - She Belongs to Me.

Here's what the cover looks like:
    [​IMG]

18. bobc

bobc Bluesman

For me there's only one good thing on it: I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know. The rest is just throwaway dullness and I'm a big Dylan fan.

Another Self Portrait has some great stuff, especially the alternate versions from the New Morning sessions.

PonceDeLeroy and chrisblower like this.
  19. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I love it, reminds me of the WHITE ALBUM. Dylan is at his peak vocal wise. He never sounded so self assured and potent as from NEW MORNING to DYLAN. While not every song is fitting and over all too much cover there still is enough to like here esp. ALBERTA and ALL THE TIRED HORSES. The story of making moonshine is my favorite here .

20. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Days of 49 and Alberta #1.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Days of 49

PonceDeLeroy and Jam757 like this.
  23. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I like this album a lot - I find that, for me at least, the way to enjoy it is to have no expectations.

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

"Blue Moon".
    Almost tied is"I forgot More than You'll Ever Know" but it's really the live version he played in 1986 with the Petty band that I liked best

25. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo). Dylan's ridiculous vocal makes him sound like he is three sheets to the wind.

Self Portrait is without question my absolute favourite Dylan album.

Man at C&A likes this.