Bob Dylan's Under the Red Sky - your favourite track?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Never really understood the general loathing for UTRS. It must have to do with the nursery rhyme-like lyrics on some of the tracks.
    I like the production and performance and the melodies. Dylan doesn't have to be in a moody 9-verse mode for me to like him.
    Voted Born In Time, and not gonna say the Oh Mercy outtake is superior.

3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's definitely underrated. The critics didn't get it at all. And the nursery rhyme lyrics are a deliberate theme. Not just "lazy" writing by Bob. But I still dislike the muddy production.

DTK likes this.
  4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

"Cat's in the Well", one of the better songs, not to say the songs are his better work. I never warmed to this album.
    The least said about "Wiggle Wiggle" the better, in my opinion!

Regarding the nursery-rhyme criticisms, a year after he released this album he released the song "This Old Man" on the Disney charity Children's album For Our Children. I love that track! It doesn't try to be anything except a children's song, sung for children. And Bob appears to be enjoying himself. Perhaps it brought memories of singing to his children when they were young. I can't see Bob's kids being very patient if he sang something like "Hollis Brown" to them.

Here's what the Under the Red Sky cover looks like:

[​IMG]

Omara31 and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  5. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

If there is anything like an underrated BD album, this is it.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  6. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Still waiting for my notes from the artist.

"Entertainment Connections has secured a limited edition of notes by the artist to the songs that appear on the album..."

Tim :)

qwerty likes this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I picked "Under the Red Sky", with a slide guitar solo by the one and only George Harrison.

Omara31, applebonkerz, andy75 and 2 others like this.
  8. smorrison

smorrison His Master's Voice

I picked "Born In Time", though it's much better on Tell Tale Signs. The title track would be my second choice.

Guy Smiley and Casagrande like this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses Forum Resident

"Cat's in the Well"

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  10. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Agreed. As a result, hard for me to pick it as the best song on UTRS. I went with God Knows.

11. misterjones

misterjones Forum Resident

Had it been selected for the album, the unreleased version of TV Talking Song. Nice, sinister vocals by Bob.

12. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Voted for the title track. Very solid album and a favourite of mine!

13. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Love the whole album. I voted for the title track as perhaps the best song. God Knows and Born In Time are better I feel than the Oh Mercy versions although Born In Time is like a different song altogether. An outtake of TV Talkin' Song is much stronger than the released take.
    Perhaps an album that might benefit from a new mastering/transfer one day.

14. DockBoggs

DockBoggs Forum Resident

This is one of his albums where I don't think I can pick a favorite track. Its probably the Dylan album I dislike the most. I dislike Self Portrait and Down in the Groove just about as much, but there's at least a couple of songs on them that I listen to now and then. I really had high expectations when this was released since Oh Mercy was so good.

smilin ed likes this.
  15. Red river bore

Red river bore Well-Known Member

Gave this record my first ever spin yesterday.

My first reaction: crap. About as bad as Down in the groove, which is to me clearly Dylan´s worst.

However, I´m not giving up on it!

16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Third-tier Bob at best (with Down in the Groove, Knocked Out Loaded & a couple others occupying the 4th tier). It's the first album where the deterioration of his voice really started to show (though some would tag Oh Mercy or even earlier). And the nursery rhyme lyrics mentioned upthread are a problem.

But I do like some things about this album:
    • George Harrison's slide guitar on the title track;
    • God Knows was a powerhouse staple of his live shows for years;
    • Handy Dandy has always been a hoot (the "all-girl orchestra" line always cracks me up). I can actually imagine Dylan smiling as he sings it!

17. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Interesting album. I chose "Cat's In The Well" mainly because I love the Jimmy Vaughan solo on it. It's obvious he has no idea it will be his solo from the slight delay but he nails it. Generally I prefer the last three songs. I submit that for "Handy Dandy", Bob was doing with Prince what he was doing with Bruce Springsteen on "Tweeter And The Monkey Man" though in this case it is a portrait of Prince whereas "Tweeter" is not a portrait of Bruce.

18. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

I've always liked this album. Given its date and George Harrison's contribution, I've always thought of it as a Wilbury spin-off. Yes it's Dylan-lite and the lyrics are a bit goofy, but then the Wilburys were a bit goofy too (the Wilbury Twist anyone?). The album rolls along nicely and most of the songs sound like Dylan's having a ball. It's noteworthy that 'Cat's In The Well' became a staple of Dylan's live performances in the 2000's. Now all we need is a good vinyl reissue!

19. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

Overall I find this one of his least inspired records. Love the title track though - where the "nursery rhyme" lyrics really work - so I voted for that.

20. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident

Under a red sky; but i like the whole album and dont understand the bashing it gets? Wiggle leaves a bit to be desired but i kinda get it

21. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Is that the only track he played on?

22. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

Yes.

the sands and snipe like this.
  23. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Unbelievable"

24. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I was wondering if anyone knows where the original source photo for the cover was taken and when? I'd love to get it without the album title written on it as it's a great photo.

25. Born In Time. I love this album. Lyrically it's pretty bad at times, but musically this is a strong collection with Dylan sounding very relaxed and some strong guest appearances from George Harrison, David Crosby, Al Kooper, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Bruce Hornsby.