Bob Hope turns 100

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris R, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

Today marks the 100th birthday of Bob Hope. What can I say? Probably the greatest comedian of our time, of our parent's time, and for some of us, our grandparent's time. I was looking at a Bob Hope timeline today and read that he started his radio career in 1937 and did his last radio show for NBC in April of 1956, the month and year I was born. Amazing.

Leslie Townes Hope was born in Eltham, England on May 29, 1903. He was the fifth of seven sons. In 1907 his father William Hope, moved the family to Cleveland, Ohio. Bob joked, "I left England at the age of four, when I found out I couldn't be King". :laugh:

When I think of Bob Hope, I think of a very giving man, for all the time he spent entertaining the troops around the world.

Happy birthday Mr. Hope. All the best!

Attached Files:

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

GOD BLESS HIM! What a wonderful career he's had...I love many of his movies. Can you imagine seeing all he's seen?...A good soul indeed!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOB!!!!!

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

mr hope,

here's to 100 more years.

aloha!

tyler

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

As a youngster, Bob Hope was probably the first person I could identify as a comedian. Even now, when somebody tries (often unsuccessfully) to be funny, the standard response is "Who do you think you are, Bob Hope?"

I'm amazed when anyone makes it to 100. And until about ten years ago, when he finally started showing his age, I was astonished at how spry and quick-witted he could be at a stage in life when most people are either doddering around a home or six feet under. He must have been doing something right all these years!

5. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

what a great talent....

love that man..

May God bless him and keep him safe.

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

He (or his writers) released several books back in the '50's I believe. I have one called "I Owe Russia $1,200.00".

Apparently he was the first (or one of the first) American commedians allowed behind the Iron Curtain.

Some comments made after he came back (paraphrased):

Russians are truly the most hardy of the human race. You can tell by the quality of the toilet paper.

In America, you watch television. In Russia, the television watches you.

And others that I can't think of right now.

Another story that I heard about how he became a commedian. Apparently in the English school system, it was last name first, first name last. So Steve would say:" Hoffman, Steve" to identify himself on the first day of class.

On Bob's first day of school, he called out his name: "Hope, Leslie". Ever since then, he was called "Hopeless" at school and he had to develop a sense of humour! :D

Happy Birthday Bob!

..... and thanks for the memories. :)

8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Wow! It's great that Bob made it to 100 YEARS OF AGE! I can't even imagine what it's like to be that old.

Happy Birthday, Bob Hope! Your work will always be with us.

9. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Sure ya can!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BOB-O!!!!!!

Here's to 200!

mud-:D

10. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Bob is not only 100, but he and his wife, Delores, are nearing their 70th wedding anniversary. God Bless them both!

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

She's 94 herself, and more active than the Bobster, since she was at the unveiling of an award for Bob yesterday, on the 100th birthday.

12. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

She's only 94? That Bob is one sly cradle robber. :)

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.